Advice needed moved to new area bully cat

Mal1985

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
’ve moved to a new area with my two semi feral cats 2 months ago, it’s a one bed maisonette with a communal garden, When I first moved here I kept them in for 4 days before letting them out and they are confident and I know they won’t get lost
But, now the neighbours cat is bullying them both and chases them away at every opportunity he sees them as intruders and won’t let them just be and they won’t defend themselves either don’t know why
….he is neutered but doesn’t stop him being so territorial.

Has anyone experienced this? It’s such a shame because the communal garden is nice with oak trees and big lawn but they can’t enjoy it so will that cat eventually just accept them? Or could he never accept them? I’ve never been in this situation before so advice appreciated

P.s I’ve tried a water pistol but doesn’t deter him more than a day

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since they are cowardly (many cats are) they are less likely to get meaningfully injured, but its still possible. Its possible but not especially likely the relationship with the other cat will improve. Most likely just more of the same, with maybe some minor scratches. So not a great situation to permit to continue indefinitely.

Since its a communal garden and you cant fence or place deterrents, not really much you can do other than keep them in, act as their guard dog each and every time they are out, or talk to the other other cat's owner, if there is one (and good luck with that conversation).

Unlike cars, other cats don't normally kill pet cats, but injuries are common, and many cats come home with wounds requiring vet care. My cowardly cats managed to avoid trouble many times by retreating to the house and howling, but a neighbor's cat got a pretty nasty wound from a feral.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mal1985

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since they are cowardly (many cats are) they are less likely to get meaningfully injured, but its still possible. Its possible but not especially likely the relationship with the other cat will improve. Most likely just more of the same, with maybe some minor scratches. So not a great situation to permit to continue indefinitely.

Since its a communal garden and you cant fence or place deterrents, not really much you can do other than keep them in, act as their guard dog each and every time they are out, or talk to the other other cat's owner, if there is one (and good luck with that conversation).

Unlike cars, other cats don't normally kill pet cats, but injuries are common, and many cats come home with wounds requiring vet care. My cowardly cats managed to avoid trouble many times by retreating to the house and howling, but a neighbor's cat got a pretty nasty wound from a feral.
So far there’s not been a proper fight just chasing away and yowling etc but I’ve got hibiscrub always if needed for cuts but I doubt it will get that far, I hope they don’t fight forever I can’t be a constant bodyguard and they don’t like being cooped up inside 24/7 it’s not what they’re used to I suppose now they’ve gained the comfort of indoor life but now the choice of wandering outside is kinda taken away :(