Advice needed! I’m worried about my boyfriend’s cats missing!

Dodocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I’m worried to death about my boyfriend’s cats. They are both males, not fixed and are 2 and 3 years old.

The first and older one, Pepe, has been missing for more than 2 months now, he is usually not used to people and he is not very affectionate, he was used to roaming around and disappearing but he has gone missing for so long that we have started to worry...

The second and younger one is called Cobra, he is tiny and very fragile, he has never been far from home and would always come back in the evening. He disappeared 2 weeks ago now and we are really worried.. also he grew up with the neighbours’s cat ( a female, not fixed) and she also has gone missing a few days after him. What could this mean?

We are really worried, since my boyfriend and I are away from his hometown where his cats live. I’m from Italy and there are no predators that could actually harm them, his hometown is pretty small and almost in the middle of the “desert”.

I just came here to ask for your advice, for something that could help me bring them home or explain their behaviour and maybe for some reassuring words♥

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Although I understand why you are worried, and I would be, too, this may just be because it is the start of mating season, and your boys are out doing what boys do during this season. Hopefully, they will return home once the queens are no longer in heat. They may be a bit battered, but there's a chance that they are ok.

Can you contact neighbors to keep an eye out for them? Is there someone there at the home to do this?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, don’t give up. If Cobra is small, he may even be just hiding from other cats in the area. Although the normal urge is to follow a female, my boy Dali was afraid of the other males and stayed in a box for every daylight minute. Cats are masters at hiding. If food is being put out for them, don’t stop. If someone can look for them at night, a flashlight is a very good tool because if the light hits their eyes, they reflect extremely well and can be seen from a very good distance. Be sure to look up too. They can climb to hide as well as going under, in or behind things. Sending hope that you find them both quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dodocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Although I understand why you are worried, and I would be, too, this may just be because it is the start of mating season, and your boys are out doing what boys do during this season. Hopefully, they will return home once the queens are no longer in heat. They may be a bit battered, but there's a chance that they are ok.

Can you contact neighbors to keep an eye out for them? Is there someone there at the home to do this?
thank you so much for replying and reassuring me a bit! Sadly we are away from my boyfriend’s home town but I will tell his parents to contact the others neighbours as soon as possible!

Dodocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree, this sounds like all the cats are out doing catly things. However, can you possibly recruit someone to hopefully find Cobra at least?
Thank you for replying!! I’ll tell my boyfriend’s parents to search wherever they can and with their neighbours. Sadly they are not very used to it so it’s a bit more difficult for them..

Dodocat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, don’t give up. If Cobra is small, he may even be just hiding from other cats in the area. Although the normal urge is to follow a female, my boy Dali was afraid of the other males and stayed in a box for every daylight minute. Cats are masters at hiding. If food is being put out for them, don’t stop. If someone can look for them at night, a flashlight is a very good tool because if the light hits their eyes, they reflect extremely well and can be seen from a very good distance. Be sure to look up too. They can climb to hide as well as going under, in or behind things. Sending hope that you find them both quickly.

Thank you so much for replying and for your advice!! They have left out the food for both cats and there are a lot of places where they could actually hide since they live in the countryside and near a lot of abandoned ruins/houses. I will let them know to look for them with a flashlight at night!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps having people out looking just made the stray kitties hide. If something that carries a familiar scent of you or anything else the kitties are used to being around or on can be put where the kitties can lay on it, they may be spotted there. Tell the people who are looking to keep trying.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope you find them and please make your boyfriend get them fixed! If they were neutered they would be staying closer to home, and there are far too many unwanted kittens being born :(