Advice Needed For Semi Feral Older Kitten

toothlessxkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His name is Nishki. He is about 4 to 5 months. I trapped him at a ranch along with 8 other kittens. Not only did the property owners not want him there, but they were also being picked off by coyotes. I've made some major progress with him, but we seem to be at a bump in the road. He will let me pet him, and even seems to enjoy it. He will also come up to me sometimes and boop my finger with his nose. The catch is that he has to be in the kennel for this to be okay. If I try to pet him or greet him outside of his kennel, he darts off. If I want to pick him up, I have to scruff him, and pick him up by his bottom. If I don't, then he panics and rips up my arm. He even panics when hes just sitting in my lap. Am I just moving too fast? Would he be better off and happier if I just found him a barn? (He is fixed). Any advice or tips for this guy would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time working with ferals, although I have fostered kittens for the past 2 years.

Attachments

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing this sweet one. He may never be a cuddly lap kitty, but he is in a warm safe loving home. Please don't give up on him and return him to a barn. I have brought 6 feral cats into my home over the years. They all have taken different amounts of time to adjust to inside living and humans. The very first one I brought inside ( also an orange kitty like yours) was 3 years old. It took him a solid year to adjust. Time and patience is your friend. There is a saying when working with feral cats; one step forward, two steps back. It's just the way they operate!

Here is a great 3 part video series that has some great tips for working with feral cats. It starts with the rescue of the kittens and moves forward to their socialization.

Tough Love Video - UrbanCatLeague

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know it doesn't seem like it, but you are making good progress. My little girl was 3-4 months old and feral when she was dropped on my doorstep. She had the same issue of "good to pet if I am in x space, bad to pet if I am not in a space." It's a slow process but keep pushing the boundaries just a little at a time. I found sitting on the ground with a hand out and letting her come to me helped expand the boundaries at her speed.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have gotten great advice here. That video is really helpful. Well worth watching! I have been working with ferals a long time and I am always so glad to hear of another one being saved from a very hard life. I have just brought in a large Tom myself and he is adjusting at his own pace. Every cat is different. One thing that I have used with every cat that seems to draw them out is a brush. I use it to encourage petting. A brush feels really good to them and as I use it they start to rub against it. When they become interested in the brush I use it to lead them closer to me. Maybe you can use one to encourage kitty to venture out of the kennel a little at a time in order to follow where the brush goes. Once they find out how good it feels they are happy to be near the brush. I don’t use a brush with rigid bristles. The softer ones are gentler on their skin Nishki is so beautiful! I am glad you didn’t let the coyotes get him. I love hearing about rescues! Please keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toothlessxkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all of the good advice! I wanted to post an update. He is now comfortable being in the same room as people. The picture I just got is the closest he's ever been to me comfortably. I'm hoping to progress more with him! He still does not like being held at all. 20181112_205357.jpg

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You didn't mention how long you've had him? A few weeks? It took my last little 4-5 month old feral girl a few months before I could being within a foot of her without her trembling and shaking in fear, and 4 months before I could pet her. The fact that you can pet and handle him at all so quickly is really excellent progress. Please don't put him in a barn, he looks quite comfy and you are home. He may or may not come around to be a lap cat, but I am guessing that he will. The little feral I mentioned who took so long to adjust to me is now my most affectionate and snuggly little cat. It was well worth the effort and the wait.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
4-5 months is nothing in a cat's world. It will take many months for him to expand his comfort zone and be comfortable with humans, up to a year. i think he is staying in the room now because that other cat he is with is there too, and is not hiding. I have taken up to a year to get an outside feral used to my touch. I also have a feral that enjoys scratches and chin rubs but has never accepted being on a lap, and he is now 11. He may NEVER be comfortable with being held, but let him decide if he wants to get on your lap or not. Make sure you hold other cats on your lap in front of him. They learn trust by example, and watch interactions of other cats with you closely. All the luck!

toothlessxkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another update! He is doing wonderful! He came up to me this morning while I was lounging in bed, and asked me for pets and attention. He is such a sweet guy, and I can tell that he will make a great friend to someone once he is adoptable. He let's me pet him when I'm sitting or laying down. He still runs and hides from everyone else. I'm trying to encourage my fiancee to work with him more so he realizes that other humans are good too!

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fantastic progress! I am so glad to hear how well he is doing. Getting him used to other people would be great. You just keep doing what you’re doing! Excellent job! He obviously loves and trusts you. I think you’re wonderful for saving him! He is really beautiful! :goldstar::clap2:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are doing a great job with him! Such progress! It would be a good idea for him to interact with your fiance. He needs to get used to other people too.

toothlessxkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another update! He is doing super well compared to how he was when I first got him! He still runs from me on occasion, but he will also sometimes come to me when I call him, especially when food is involved. Sometimes, if I pet my other cats when they are sitting next to him, it seems to ease his mind and he is happier to accept the affection. He does kind of hide a lot still. He also does not tolerate being picked up at all! I'm starting a thing where I sit cross legged on the ground, and call him to me. If he listens, I'll pick him up and put him in my lap. Then, I'll pet him for a few seconds. He doesnt seem too fond of it yet, but hes also not panicking.
He found a home with a couple with no other pets or kids. He was there a total of two weeks before he was brought back =(. "He hides too much" was the excuse. I want to mention that I was very clear that he was extremely shy, and I told them that it took me a month to get him warmed up to me.
Honestly, I think he will do better with another cat companion in the home anyways. He seems more at ease around his feline companions.
I was curious....has anyone ever used pet meds for anxiety for semi feral kitties to help train their brain that new people arent a reason to panic? Just curious about thoughts and opinions on that. I'm toying with the idea of taking him in to see if meds might help him.

Attachments

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't think there is a pet medicine cure for cats who are anxious around unfamiliar people. Even my fully domesticated cats are not comfortable around unfamiliar people. The answer is to find someone who is patient enough to adopt a shy, fearful cat who will take a lot of time to socialize, but who will be well worth the effort in time, or to keep the cat yourself. I've heard that antidepressants will help some cats who spray and pee outside the litter box, but it will not alter their disposition.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As msaimee msaimee mentioned meds for cats are used for severe anxiety, aggression or spraying/peeing. Being shy is really not a reason for medication. Your sweet kitty may always be shy and hide from others. It's just his nature. This is not a bad thing and with time this too may change.

The first feral I brought inside my home almost 6 years ago used to hide from all visitors, loud noises, the vacuum and men. Now 6 years later, he will still hide at first when visitors come, but then he will come out. He now lets some people pet him. He has come soooooo far. I just didn't give up on him. Medication would have never changed his fear of humans.

Keep working with this sweet one. Is there any chance you can keep him?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The previous posts are really important info. There are some calming products on the market these days like Feliway but I personally think that time, patience and the right home will work. I’ve had this experience too. There are also music videos online that use music to calm kitties. You could try that. I know some never love being held but you have great instincts. Sitting cross legged is a great approach. Holding of allowing in your lap to freely leave works well. Offering some licks of baby food off your fingers or a dish in your lap may help too. Any treats the kitty likes. Seeing you pet your kitties is a definite good thing. I have noticed with shy kitties that this inspires trust. I also use a soft brush to pet with. If kitty thinks that you can offer something that feels wonderful, a lap visit may last longer. Some kitties do bond more with other cats but keep working. I think you will be making a lot more progress with this one from what you are saying here. If he get adopted out again, it really needs to be with someone who understands clearly, how to work with a shy kitty or socialize one. Being returned is something that I find can be a set back for them. Hiding was natural in a new home and especially with children. It takes time for them to adjust. I think it’s best he came back to you if that family did not understand.
Please keep us updated. I really think he will be adjusting more with you. You’re a natural!