Advice Needed For Cat In Need

Roseandcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I am after some impartial advice on what to do for my newly acquired kitty.

Recently my mums neighbour got a deaf kitten. She started to worry about the cat as it was locked outside (dangerous for the cat as it can’t hear traffic/danger etc) and then a few weeks later it was limping. She kept an eye on it and it continuously came into her home to get food and water (she has her own cat). After a week or so she phoned the RSPCA and reported it as nothing had been done about its leg by our neighbour.

The RSPCA didn’t do anything so my mum took the cat to the vets and said it was a stray so that they would treat it and hopefully get re homed to a loving family.

Then at the weekend I was down visiting and the cat appeared again! He was still shut out and had been operated on his leg and was limping badly. The vets had said to my mum that it was a real possibility the cat had been kicked and that is where it’s injuries came from.

The neighbour is an alcoholic who has been violent in the past and mum didn’t want to confront him. Instead I decided to rescue the cat and bring it home with me where it would be looked after and stay indoors.

Now I have an issue that I want to take the cat to my local vet, however I am worried that if he is micro chipped then they will return him to mums neighbour where he will just get hurt again.

Does anyone know what the procedures are when changing the details on a chip? Do I have to provide proof that I now own the cat etc? What would you advise in this situation?

Legally I have no rights however I have done what is right by giving the cat the love and care he needs.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you took the cat to your vet and it was microchiped, do you think the owner would accept some money to sign the cat over to you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Roseandcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mums neighbour and him don’t have a very good relationship so I’m not sure if he would! Worried if I asked that he would take it back out of spite. Might have to come down to that though. Thanks for your reply.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I think your first step would be just to check if they are even microchipped. This is free and takes a few minutes at any vet.

If they are microchipped to the neighbour, and depending on what state/province you live in... someone correct me if I am wrong but it could be seen as theft if you take them as cats/dogs are seen as property.

Your best bet if he is microchipped to the neighbour would be working out a monetary (or alcohol :p) compensation in exchange for the kitty.

It’s nice that there are kind humans in this world such as yourself looking out for cats :).

I am however confused about the part where your mum took them and said they are a stray... wouldn’t they have checked for a microchip then or did I misinterpret?

Roseandcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think your first step would be just to check if they are even microchipped. This is free and takes a few minutes at any vet.

If they are microchipped to the neighbour, and depending on what state/province you live in... someone correct me if I am wrong but it could be seen as theft if you take them as cats/dogs are seen as property.

Your best bet if he is microchipped to the neighbour would be working out a monetary (or alcohol :p) compensation in exchange for the kitty.

It’s nice that there are kind humans in this world such as yourself looking out for cats :).

I am however confused about the part where your mum took them and said they are a stray... wouldn’t they have checked for a microchip then or did I misinterpret?
Thanks for your reply. Ok yes I will find that out and then go from there! I think it must have been microchipped as it ended up back at my neighbours, either that or they got in contact with the RSPCA which would have had the info of the cat on file - he is very distinctive!

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Not to sound disheartening but even if you do take on this kitty from the neighbour (or street), there is nothing stopping them from getting another kitten/cat... they are literally free or very cheap on Kijiji/Craigslist.

Crappy people will stay crappy.

Roseandcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not to sound disheartening but even if you do take on this kitty from the neighbour (or street), there is nothing stopping them from getting another kitten/cat... they are literally free or very cheap on Kijiji/Craigslist.

Crappy people will stay crappy.
I know it’s horrible! That’s why I want to do my best and save this kitty!

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you already thought about any names if you end up keeping them :)? Any pics to share?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's gorgeous. And I'm praying for a happy ending for him. Get him checked for a chip, and if he isn't chipped, do so and register it immediately! Keep that along with any copies of vets bills in a safe place. Once you establish a pattern of care, that can go a long way towards proving ownership.