Advice Needed For Bottlefed Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furballs bring joy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, we'll keep on. I'm sure once one can poop in the box, they will all follow the example. They are running around already, so surely that will help as well.

furballs bring joy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
4 out of the 5 are regularly peeing in litter box. I actually got 2 of them to poop just with stimulation. 1 drinks milk from a dish quite regularly. 2 more can, but don't always. After feeding, we take them outside, fully supervised, on nice days. (We live in northern Canada). Today it was so cute to see 5 little kittens being supervised by our 3 children and 3 of their cousins. We all adore them. They are also washing themselves and oh so cute to see them trying to wash their faces!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't let the kittens outside at this time. They need to be fully vaccinated before it's safe. They could pick up diseases and even pests. They are just too vulnerable right now.

furballs bring joy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I'm trying to figure out what kind of feeding schedule for these kittens. Right now, its every 3.5 to 4 hrs during day and a five hour stretch at night. They each get about half tsp of wet kitten food mixed with water, and about 20 ml of milk at a feeding. They all drink from dish, and eat the food. They all use litter box, peeing and pooping. They all weigh between 10.5 and 11.5 oz. I have them on plain goat milk. My question is when do I leave food out for them all the time? One is really glutinous and will clean everyone else's dish out too. I wouldn't mind having a good night again!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try it anytime now! The one who eats a lot may be growing faster. Give them more wet food at each meal and leave dry kitten chow out all the time.

furballs bring joy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks! How do we continue with the milk than? Every 4 hours and wet food at every feeding?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, give them their milk in a dish alongside the wet food. You can stop adding water to the wet food, and increase the amount of wet food. How have they been getting their milk up to now?

furballs bring joy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is a sample feeding time. They each get 3/4 tsp wet kitten food, with a minor amount of water, 1 tsp water for all of them, each in their own dish. Lol they gobble it up in a minute or so. Than we measure out 25 ml of milk for each one in each dish.
They don't quite clean it out, except for Mr Glutton. Than he goes and cleans out other dishes when the rest are done. We don't do this at the middle of night feeding. They only get milk than.

furballs bring joy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The tsp of water for wet feed is divided among all of them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds fine! Just offer bigger portions of wet food, especially as they grow. It sounds like the one kitten already needs more food. He’s not being a glutton, he needs the nutrition. It’s impossible to overfeed growing kittens. Feed them as much as they want! :)

furballs bring joy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens are 1 lb each. They currently share a kitten size portion at each meal, 5 times a day. Than they get a little milk. They are losing interest in milk, though. I have a gallon of goat milk left in freezer. Shall we bother feeding it all or is it ok to just feed them more canned food? What I mean is are they old enough to quit the milk? They love the kitten chow, as well, and often at meal time they will run and munch it down, too. Everyone is enjoying the litterbox too!

furballs bring joy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG-20191218-WA0001.jpg

Here they, approx 5 months old. One met an untimely death at 7 weeks. But they are all happy and healthy. They live in our big old barn, a cat's paradise, and regularly visit the house. They love to come in and see us. 3 are long haired, and the smaller calico one has beautiful silky fur. Thanks again for all the early advice! People ask to buy them, because they are so sweet and tame. No such luck. They are ours for life!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on a happy rescue! They look like Maine Coon mixes to me - just amazing cats - the "border collies" of the cat world. Thank you for the update!