Advice Needed For Bottlefed Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furballs bring joy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No poop yet. I tried suppositories this morning and everyone went a little bit. However, poop is quite firm yet. Shall I give 3 drops oil in each feeding? First 24 hrs of oil, they each got one, now the last 24 they each got 2. Poop doesn't really seem to be softening yet. They are gaining though, and happy. Approximately 5.4 oz each. And funny question, but how long a piece of poop should kind of be expected if they poop once a day?

furballs bring joy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still waiting for that poop! One kitten did approximately a 2 inch quite firm poop yesterday, just while stimulating it to pee. Nothing else yet. Shall I add 4 drops olive oil to each feeding? The last poop for the rest, was 2 days ago, with suppositories.

furballs bring joy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still fighting the constipation thing. I gave each an enema this morning and the poop that came, was just fairly firm. They are each getting 4 drops oil in each bottle. They are happy and healthy and eating like everything. They are getting 7 ml every 3 hrs during day, and 3.5 hours at night. Any mire suggestions? What about emptying a probiotic capsule in every 2 cups of milk/yolk mixture? Would that be at all beneficial?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m not sure the probiotic will help with constipation. I’d add a few more drops of oil instead. Are they peeing a lot? Is it clear or pale in color?

furballs bring joy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, they are peeing lots, and very easily. The urine is a pale yellow. So how many drops shall I keep adding? It seems like poop is not softening at all. They are gaining nicely as well.

furballs bring joy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use goat milk, which I keep frozen in cubes. I get out enough for 2 cups and add 1 egg yolk to that. They use it up in less than 2 days, and I keep in fridge at all times.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Add a tablespoon of oil to the 2 cups. Be sure to mix it well each time before using. Let’s see if this helps.

furballs bring joy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, thanks! I am ready to mix up a batch now anyways, so that's perfect. I will keep you posted. Thanks so much for the advice. It is much appreciated!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We usually stimulate only after feeding. They all pooped yesterday morning, except one did in the afternoon. I don't think they are blocked up with days worth of stuff, just from yesterday and today. Only one ever tried to poop with normal stimulation. Should I add water to milk? If so, how much?
Peculiar enough, its sometimes even better to stimulate them before feeding... Or both. :) Try. Cant hurt.

If you think you want to hydrate them more, its better to give a few drops between the feedings. More work for you of course, but this way they both get more water and their full nutrition.

furballs bring joy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was thinking of trying water between feedings. If I do go that route, what is meant by a few drops? 3 per kitten, halfway between feedings? Just a one time thing or try it between all feedings for a day?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hopefully more oil will work so you don’t have to wake them between feedings. However, you also don’t want to fill them up with just water, then they won’t eat as much milk. So if you do give water, maybe just give 1mL for now.

furballs bring joy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No poop yet today! But they are happy and starting a bit of exploring when we take them out for feedings. My question is, when can we spread out feedings? They would eat as much as we let them, but are giving them 8 ml a time, 3 hrs during day, and 3.5 at night. They have little teeth already, and are 6.8 oz each, approx. I thought they would be about 3 weeks now on Thurs, but isn't that a bit early for teeth? We can hear the little teeth on syringe when feeding.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Teeth come in around 4 weeks, so they must be about that age. You can stretch them to four hour intervals and see how they do, but they’ll need more mLs at each feeding. Hopefully they’ll hit one pound soon! :)

furballs bring joy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, will try it. Would they have been a week old when we got them? They still had cords attached, but were dry and fell off about 3 days later. 2 days after getting them, they weighed about 3.4 oz. I have been a bit baffled over their age.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cords fall off at about the 5th day, so that and their weights 2 days later tells me they were about 2 days old when you got them.