Advice Needed: Flying With My Cat Or Boarding Or Pet-sitter?

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I have a 1 year old cat, we live in the US. I have a family emergency that will require me to be in France for over a month, the problem is that I have doubts about what will be the best for my cat. She already went to France and back when she was 6 month old (to france )and 8 month old (the way back) she did relatively well: adjusted in less than 1 day to the new places, slept during the plane ect... There were time of stress (like the security) but she never was panicked. She was sick of being in her carrier at the end (tried to clawed it open) and did not want to go back in it but did not seem to be traumatized by any mean: she explored, played from the moment I opened the carrier. However she is now older and is a bit more careful about certain things and I worry if it is wise to take her with me.
Taking a pet-sitter is also an alternative but she tends to have seperation anxiety and lost weight and vomited each time I was away for a few days. And I would miss her too.
What do you think I should do?
I really need to go home to take care of an ill parent but I want my cat to be happy too.

Ps: I already took care of the administrative things in case I take her with me and already booked her in the flight so that is not an issue.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Personally, since she tends to separation anxiety, and you'll be gone a month, I'd take her. You might want to ask your vet if there's any med that might help calm her during the trip. I use Feliway plug ins at home, but they also have a spray that you can put on any towels or blankets in the carrier.

Although it's best to leave a cat in his/her 'territory,' I'd do that in this situation if you knew of a friend who might 'live in' while you're gone. A month is too long for just a sitter who visits, in my opinion.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I have a 1 year old cat, we live in the US. I have a family emergency that will require me to be in France for over a month, the problem is that I have doubts about what will be the best for my cat. She already went to France and back when she was 6 month old (to france )and 8 month old (the way back) she did relatively well: adjusted in less than 1 day to the new places, slept during the plane ect... There were time of stress (like the security) but she never was panicked. She was sick of being in her carrier at the end (tried to clawed it open) and did not want to go back in it but did not seem to be traumatized by any mean: she explored, played from the moment I opened the carrier. However she is now older and is a bit more careful about certain things and I worry if it is wise to take her with me.
Taking a pet-sitter is also an alternative but she tends to have seperation anxiety and lost weight and vomited each time I was away for a few days. And I would miss her too.
What do you think I should do?
I really need to go home to take care of an ill parent but I want my cat to be happy too.

Ps: I already took care of the administrative things in case I take her with me and already booked her in the flight so that is not an issue.
Welcome Letta Letta to TCS! I'm sorry your parent is ill and I send *PRAYERS* and healing thoughts up, and out, for them. As for your question, I think you have already got your answer in that you've booked her on the flight. As H happilyretired posted, a month is a long time to leave an anxious cat with just a cat-sitting service. If you did have a trusted friend your cat knows and feels comfortable with who would stay with her, that would be great; but if not, I would take her.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In this case I would take her. For shorter trips I would go with a pet sitter, but a month is long enough that I think it would be best for her to go with you, especially since arrangements are already in place. I do not generally recommend boarding for cats based on my own experiences.

I hope your parent makes a smooth recovery.