advice needed - cat start random sneeze/cough & scared afterward

idgamerd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello,

i have a roughly 10-12 years old tuxedo female spayed kitty (i got her from a shelter). shes been healthy all her life and she seems healthy now but something strange started happening 2 days ago.

i've heard her sneeze before so its def not sneezing but it kinda sounds really weird between cough/sneeze/hairball soundish.. its the best i can describe it. she does this sneeze about 3-5 times in a row (really fast one after another almost as if his coughing). i have never heard her make this sound before and it scares her as much as me.

after she does the cough she freaks out!! she typically jumps up from where she was coughing, runs back a little and looks back at that are where she was coughing and she seems scared as if something bit or hit her there (it happen just now in my bed).

otherwise she seems healthy and normal; nothing unusual at all expect for when she does the cough and maybe short time after shes really scared or curious i dont know shes always looking back at the area were she was coughing (i know its really weird).

im not overly concerned because like I said she seems healthy and normal otherwise (eating, pooping, everything) expect when this random cough happens. so far I seen it happen only 3 times in the last 2 days but anyone have any idea what this is or what might be causing it, should i be concerned!? like i said she seems normal otherwise

any info is appreciated, thanks

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 17yr old males weird sounds like ths. Took her to the vet and she said it's allergies. Took me 3yrs of running her in every March till I remembered it's just seasonal. This year she started in on Zrytec 5mg daily for them.
Not saying that's yours issue. Just sounds very familiar. I always run mine in to vet when unsure. Better safe than sorry

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. A cat that age could have any number of things going on that might cause such an attack. It could be hairball related, and she is just not throwing it up. My cat does this from time to time and most of the time she somehow 'dislodges' the hairball and rather than coughing it up it goes on to pass through her system. But, it could be new allergies (dust, pollen, etc.), or even the onset of asthma.

See if you can get a video of it and share it with your vet - they can tell you whether or not they think it warrants a vet visit. You are also welcome to share the video with us and see if any of our members recognize what it might be.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Could it be reverse sneezing she is doing? (you can look it up on google and view videos of it to see). That can be caused by different things, including allergies.