Advice: My Kitten fell out of a 2nd story window. (Long story please read)

jade 2012

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten who is 5 months old fell out of a second story window on Saturday morning, she has fallen one time before when she was smaller and nothing happend, but this time was differente, she was super scared and when I took her back home she was breathing with difficulty, she sounded like she wanted to start purring, she sounded like a car wanting to start but couldn't. We were so scared, so I took her to the vet in less than 20 minutes. The vet checked Jade up and down and declared that she was fine, but she might have some pain, so he gave her a shot of dypirone, after a minute she started to salivate a lot, the doctor saw this and injected her with an antihistaminic med, she stopped salivating but started again, the doctor said this wasn't because of the medication, he checked on her pupils which weren't dilating properly, she stayed for observation. After spending an afternoon with the vet, and a shot of heparin and a corticoid, she seemed fine, came home and was starving, she ate a lot and drank water, and she seemed a bit scared but went back to her usual self.

On Sunday she didn't eat, I knew she was hungry, but her regular food didn't seem good enough to eat for her. I changed the food, but nothing, she loves yogurt, so I gave her some and besides that she only had water on Sunday. On Monday I woke up at 5:30am, because the kitten was in my bed and seemed lethargic, I was scared and thinking what she would like to eat, I gave her tuna which she ate a teaspoonful of. In the morning I took her to the vet again and said everything was normal, that was just the stress of the fall. She came home and ate two bites of tuna, and 3 spoonfuls of yogurt. Today is Tuesday morning, and all she wants to eat is yogurt, no more tuna. I'm hoping the chicken we are making for lunch appeals to her a bit. She's inactive, sleeps all day, and sometimes seems a bit cold, so I try to over her with a blanket. She goes to her sandbox regularly as usual and keeps drinking water. We are really worried about her, we don't know what to do. Please, do you have any idea what might be going on with her?

Thank you for any advice you could give me.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH hun. I would recommend you take her back to the vet, OR get another opinion. I do think the salivating was from the injection of dipyrone (an analgesic for pain) since it started shortly after it was given. It is possible that the fall has caused some internal injury that cannot be seen upon external examination. Further tests might need to be done. If she is not eating well, she needs to see a vet right away. Kittens can go downhill quickly, so I would not wait. Also, please......, install a pet proof screen in that second story window. Please keep us posted on Jade. She is a beautiful kitten. I hope she will be alright. :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I second taking her back to the vet, or a different vet. Some X-rays may be in order.

And since this was the second time she fell, I'd take more precautions on all windows to prevent her from falling again. strong animal screens on the windows will help too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jade 2012

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday I posted about my kitten who fell out of a window and wasn't eating properly and was sleeping all the time, I don't know why the post was erased, but I wanted to keep people updated. A couple of people who answered suggested I take her to another vet since our usual guy didn't find anything broken or out of order. I couldn't take Jade, 5 months old, to a new vet, but my sister told the case to the vet of her dogs, she suggested that she might not be eating anything solid because, although she didn't break anything, she might have a bruise on her jaw, and that I should keep giving her the pain killer the other vet recommended. So I switched the yogurt, the only thing she was eating, for chicken soup, which I blended with chicken to make it more nutritional, she loved it! She's been eating a lot of the mixture since yesterday, and I can see she has more spirit now, and was chasing flies as usual.

She still doesn't want to eat solids, at least the food that's hard to chew, but she ate a lot of cooked chicken we were making for lunch, that, a bit of yogurt and more soup, made a delicious lunch for her. I'm so happy she's getting better and better. Last night she came to my bed, but instead of lying lifeless at my feet, she went back to her normal routine of sucking her finger, purring like a machine while lying next to my neck, I gladly took her in, even when she didn't let me sleep properly since she was very enthusiastic about cuddling with me.

The only thing we are afraid of now is that she is a bit agressive out of the blue, I must say that she was a rough player, but nothing like now, mom is petting her and she turns around to bite her hand. But other than that I'm thankful to God that my baby is OK. The window is closed now :)

This is a video I made of her a couple of months ago, this is what she does before she goes to sleep, then she cries asking for one of my fingers... crazy thing.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so very relieved to hear that she is making some progress and feeling better. She certainly is a cute little kitten. Continued vibes for her recovery from the fall. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

jade 2012

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jade is OK!! She started eating her regular food, she's back to her normal behavior, and we can't be happier than we are. She's back chasing out feet and jumping at us from corners. Thanks for helping out! 

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The most common injury for a cat that falls from a good height is a broken jaw.  It sounds like your kitten may at least have had some injury to her jaw or mouth, making eating painful.

I'm so glad it sounds like she's doing better.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jade is OK!! She started eating her regular food, she's back to her normal behavior, and we can't be happier than we are. She's back chasing out feet and jumping at us from corners. Thanks for helping out! 
I'm so glad she is doing better
How is it that she came to fall like this twice?  Is she escaping and getting onto a terrace or something, then falling?

jade 2012

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What happened the first time it was that she was playing in the balcony (where she has her litter box), she was two or three months old, and she fell. I was sleeping so I didn't notice she left my room, my sister in law found her downstairs and brought her up. She was ok, not even scared.

The episode from last week was totally different, Jade has this game she plays, she runs around in circles on top of the furniture in the living room (it's kinda matrix like, she goes so fast she barely touches the couch and chairs), and she finishes up by entering my mother's bedroom, jumping on the bed and jumping to stand in the window, and then repeat. Since the curtains where down she miscalculated her jump, and with all the speed Jade had she went down and landed badly, she actually ripped the curtains trying to hold on.

Thank God she's ok now, the window is closed, although she still looks at it with bad intentions... hehe. Thanks for your concern :)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:high5: :woohoo: SO happy to hear the little Jade is going to be just fine! Yeah, good idea to keep that window closed now!!! Kittens can get themselves into such predicaments that sometimes we cannot foresee. Good luck and thanks for the happy update!!!! :D :D:clap::clap::clap: