Advice introducing new kitten to my cat?

lyssatea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello.
A couple days ago, I got a female kitten and brought her home. I already have a cat who is almost 2 (will be two in March) & he is neutered (I had him neutered as soon as he was able to have the procedure). He has had experience with another cat before and even played with her. He met her more than once this year, at least 5 times. She was also a kitten when they met (it’s my moms cat). I figured if he is good with that kitten, then maybe I can get him a friend for days I have classes & work. However, my husband, not realizing that cats are territorial, let the kitten out of the crate right away and allowed the kitten and the cat to interact. He started hissing so we put her back in her crate and we have set her stuff in a separate room. We tried letting my cat look at her through the crate so he could get her scent but he was not happy. He was hissing and growling and then she hissed back. My cat is showing obvious jealousy and discontent with the kitten. I know it’s just been two days, but I want them to get along. I’ve read the introducing cats article on here but I want more first hand experiences that have worked. In addition, I believe my kitten is at least a couple weeks younger than what I was told. She’s very small. And yes she has vet appointment (tomorrow morning actually) to make sure she’s okay. Not sure if how young she is makes a difference or not. I don’t wanna give her away, I’m already so attached.
—please keep in mind I’m new to this introducing thing, so please don’t be disrespectful when I’m just trying to get advice.

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi L lyssatea ...and welcome to the Cat Site ...(TCS). :wave2:
Congrats on getting your new kitten. :blush:
And thanks for posting those photos.
Both cats are beautiful, with your older one looking very handsome, and the young kitten looking extremely cute.
What are their names?

I guess the Article you are referring to is here:
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
or this one: Bringing Home A New Cat – The Complete Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Don't worry about the accidental meeting...since kittens and cats are very resilient...and just basically acting on instincts.
Accidental meetings happen all the time, in cat-to-cat intros.
And with you having a kitten, ...the cat introductions will probably go even smoother.

Since it's only been two days...and you do have a Vet appointment tomorrow....then hold off for a bit...with any cat intros...or Visual Stage...until at least a week.
Plus, it's really good that you are taking her in to see the Vet, so that you get the 'all clear', from the Vet, about any possible health issues, and the Vet will probably give you a better professional opinion about her age.

**In the first week, your kitten needs time to get used to her surroundings, her 'safe room', her blanket, toys, humans, litterbox...food dish, water bowl, etc.
Basically, she just needs time to 'settle in' and 'relax'....plus gain her 'Confidence' in her new home.

(I know that this is really hard to do, because it's so very exciting to have a new cat or kitten in the home...and we all want our cats to instantly like each other...but to them...it's like a 'new space invader' has suddenly showed up into their territory.)
(It's funny how a large cat...can be upset at a tiny kitten, but to them...I guess they just see, "hey, who's the new guy/gal ?"..."I never invited them inside". :blush: )

When you get the okay from your Vet...then during the first week while your kitten is relaxing, and getting used to her humans, with soft talking, reading to her, playing with her...
You can also, during this first week...start "Scent Swapping" ...items that belong to her....by placing them down beside your older cat's food bowl...and watch his reaction.
He's already seen her....but through Scent...is how he will come to Accept her.

Remember to takes the intro stages...a bit slower...and go according to the speed of your older cat Accepting her.

It helps to think of the cat intro Stages...using the 5 senses:
1-Hearing...basically they both hear each other through a door.
2-Scent...with swapping items from each cat...and allowing each cat to get accustomed to the other cat's Scent.
3-Sight...or Visual
4-Touching...through a baby gate, or wire barrier. (Plus using Play, for both Distraction, and 'expending extra energy'.)
5-and using Tasting...such as cat food, cat treats, ...as Positive Associations....to get cats to feel good about one another.

Oh, and remember to Enjoy this time, take plenty of photos, and look at it...as a new Adventure. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lyssatea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Their names are Gandalf and Zelda :) thank you for the response, it was very helpful.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
That's adorable. :biggrin:
Can't remember if that's from a movie or video game. haha.
Kind of perfect.

If Gandalf...was okay around your mom's kitten...then I don't think you'll have any problems with this introduction.
It's just early days.
(any time you want to add more photos...feel free.
We love, love, love photos here...at this site.) :thumbsup:

lyssatea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gandalf is the wizard from the Lord of the Rings and Zelda is a video game 😂 my husband named the kitten since I named Gandalf. Thanks again!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol. Thanks for telling me....since for some reason I thought it was from the same video game. :lol:

When your Gandalf had those meetings with your mom's cat....how did he act then?
Was he scared ...when the kitten jumped around...very unpredictable...or was he just very, very cautious.?
(my previous rainbow cat...acted like I brought a huge monster into the home. I kind of liked it when the little kitten would hiss back...and do those sideways bunny hops.) 😅

lyssatea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lol. Thanks for telling me....since for some reason I thought it was from the same video game. :lol:

When your Gandalf had those meetings with your mom's cat....how did he act then?
Was he scared ...when the kitten jumped around...very unpredictable...or was he just very, very cautious.?
(my previous rainbow cat...acted like I brought a huge monster into the home. I kind of liked it when the little kitten would hiss back...and do those sideways bunny hops.) 😅
He was very cautious around my moms kitten. Hissed a little bit and ran off then eventually they played together. He submitted to her I think because she would hiss or swat and he backed down. But now they’re fine together. Usually it takes a day or so for them to recognize each other then everything is fine

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
He was very cautious around my moms kitten. Hissed a little bit and ran off then eventually they played together. He submitted to her I think because she would hiss or swat and he backed down. But now they’re fine together. Usually it takes a day or so for them to recognize each other then everything is fine
Oh, that's really good. Especially when an older cat submits...that quick.
I guess in no time, little Zelda will be taking over the staff or whatever your wizard Gandalf uses.
She probably just smells really strange to him, right now.

When she comes back from the Vet, she may smell even stranger....so maybe just let the Vet smell wear off...and then the next day, or so, ...do the Scent swaps.
Some cats hate Vet smells.
I think it reminds them of needles or sickness.

Update, tomorrow, when you get the chance. :)
Hope everything goes well.
I'm kind of curious at what age the Vet will give her. (...since it still looks like her eye colour is changing, but maybe that's just the photo. I think kittens eye colour goes from blue to whichever final colour, but cannot remember when that happens.)

lyssatea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:
When I come back from spending time with the kitten into the area my cat hangs out, he starts sniffing everything and looking around and won’t let me pet him. He’s not aggressive but he dodges my hand. Vet was postponed until today, will update after the appointment.

lyssatea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:
When I come back from spending time with the kitten into the area my cat hangs out, he starts sniffing everything and looking around and won’t let me pet him. He’s not aggressive but he dodges my hand. Vet was postponed until today, will update after the appointment.
Another update: Zelda is healthy! However, she is, according to the vet, between 6-7 weeks & she is underweight. Other than that, she got preventative treatment & she is great

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
That is great that Zelda is healthy, and that you can now concentrate on the cat intros.
Gandalf sounds a bit sensitive...which is entirely normal. :)
(my 6 year old male cat Tripp...is similar...at times,...when he sees me petting his sibling sister. He leaves the room.)

Gandalf...may be feeling a little insecure...because of the new kitten.
Or he could also be in the "high alert" phase...because knowing that "new scents" and a new kitten is in his territory...that he still does not trust ...or know what this new animal will do.
**So to boost his Confidence....try Playing with him....before playing with the kitten. :think:
After Play, give him some favorite treats.

(Remember to treat him like 'number one'....and dote on him...before you spend any time with the kitten.
If he does not like to be pet...at this time...just being with him, playing with him, or doing the normal things you used to do, like brushing, or sitting by him, and talking, should help.)

**Also try... After you spend time with the kitten...(when you come out), then ...give him some treats.
He may come to Associate getting 'good things'...after you spend time with the kitten...and also Associate her Scent...with good treats or favorite foods.

***Since you got the 'all health clear' from the Vet...then you can proceed to do Scent Swaps...and take items with her Scent on them...like cat blankets, cat toys, ...and place them out with Gandalf.🧦👕
Watch his reaction.
See how long he sniffs for...and if he 'cheek marks' against the items...leaving his own Scent on them.
(also do the same with items from him...and introduce those...into Zelda's safe room.)
Do this for at least a week.

Some members have suggested to take a 'sock or t-shirt'...rub it all over each cat....and then use these items ...as Scent soakers.
Whatever works for you is good.
Another member...even mentioned...using a cat brush...and brushing first one cat...and then the other with it...thereby transferring each of their scents to the other,....(although...I have never tried this method...and don't know if a highly reactive cat...would get more agitated...so I think that I would stick with the fabric items...first.)

**While you're doing the Scent Swaps...you can also do the recommended ...."moving the food dishes"....closer to the door method.🚪
Each day...move the food dish...a little bit closer...mark the spot with masking tape...and watch for any reactions.
(If any cat is too upset to eat...then move back a little. If they are okay...then move a little bit closer.)