Advice for two cats peeing on pillows - house is up for sale.

jinksandchew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi There,

Anyone got advice as how to stop indoor cats suddenly peeing on pillows due to moving house. They can't close a door when people come in as they want to see the whole house. Will do the obvious, cleaning pillows with enzymes, providing additional litter trays, playing more, scratching posts, wearing them out pre if we can . Feliway, Anything we have missed?

Thanks

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
While you are showing the house, if you can’t remove them during show, best option is to purchase a big (Large enough for litterbox, food and water) kennel for them. That way you don’t need to worry about them getting out or annoying potential buyers. If those pillows can be removed I would do that. If not, maybe replace covers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jinksandchew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While you are showing the house, if you can’t remove them during show, best option is to purchase a big (Large enough for litterbox, food and water) kennel for them. That way you don’t need to worry about them getting out or annoying potential buyers. If those pillows can be removed I would do that. If not, maybe replace covers.
Agree, but its more about them peeing on the pillows after they have left or am i missing something?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am thinking they are peeing because the visits of strangers stress them out. They may feel safer and be safer if kept kenneled. Plus despite your cleaning those pillows may still have a urine odor. If you clean with enzyme cleaner you really need to douse the item.

I am sure others will have additional advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jinksandchew

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
a few times and both cats i think
I am thinking they are peeing because the visits of strangers stress them out. They may feel safer and be safer if kept kenneled. Plus despite your cleaning those pillows may still have a urine odor. If you clean with enzyme cleaner you really need to douse the item.

I am sure others will have additional advice.
yeah agree, its hard as its a huge house and will take months i expect if not longer to sell.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If both of them are doing it, the pillows probably have a urine odor. Just throw them out; use enzyme cleaner on the pillowcases, but it may not fully penetrate and get all the odor out for the pillows.

Put the pillows on that bed in the closet. House lookers won't really care; probably. Failing that, rearrange the pillows. Add more pillows, stand them up, anything to change it up and mess with the habit.

Have you moved litter boxes? Its a natural thing to do when showing a house, but can cause problems.

Also, where do the cats like to hide? If they have a go to hiding spot that is not that bedroom, maybe you can put a box there.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd also suggest replacing those pillows and covering them with a moisture-proof zippered cover under the pillow case. It will make cleaning any future accidents much easier.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have those covers, although mine are hypoallergenic, as well (dust mite allergy), and I can guarantee you that they make cleaning up after the occasional hairball far less angst-producing! I'm thinking they'll do the same for you.