Advice for tripawd care please

Anjak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, yesterday my gorgeous boy had his front leg amputated because of an inoperable tumour. He’s 11 & has to be kept in a pen for 10 days post op. I was hoping someone might have any tips or advice & experience of going through the same process please. Thanks 🐾🐾🐾

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm glad you joined the site and came here to ask your question because there are several members who have a tripod cat. Hopefully they will see your post and be able to comment with some helpful advice and information:
Boris Diamond Boris Diamond and angels mommy angels mommy

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
tripawds.com
This is a website and support group for owners and pets who are amputees.

I had an amputee GSD who had melanoma, from which he did not die. While it seems extreme, it is the most proactive thing to do for any dog or cat who could successfully survive with the loss of a limb. Most heal very well and quickly adapt to their new life. I suspect that cats may be more adaptable due to their generally much smaller size which puts less weight on the remaining leg and shoulder.

Weight distribution is 60% front, or 30% each leg, and 40% back, or 20% each leg. Given that it is a front leg, you may want to get some steps or other aids to help your cat access higher places in your house.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat with a missing left rear leg. He was a tripod when I got him, so I can't give much advice about recovery from surgery. His name is Tiger. He gets around very well. In fact, one of his nicknames is Rocket. Here is his story. Tiger's story

I also recommend Tripawds. There are many there in your situation and if you start a thread there about your cat, you will get some feedback. Membership is free.

Cats with three legs usually cope very well. Tiger can climb or jump up onto anything in the house. He does have one difficulty. He has some long fur and has trouble grooming his left cheek and neck. I daily comb this fur out and spend time scratching that area for him.

I wish your gorgeous boy the very best in his recovery. Is that him in your avatar? What is his name?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anjak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat with a missing left rear leg. He was a tripod when I got him, so I can't give much advice about recovery from surgery. His name is Tiger. He gets around very well. In fact, one of his nicknames is Rocket. Here is his story. Tiger's story

I also recommend Tripawds. There are many there in your situation and if you start a thread there about your cat, you will get some feedback. Membership is free.

Cats with three legs usually cope very well. Tiger can climb or jump up onto anything in the house. He does have one difficulty. He has some long fur and has trouble grooming his left cheek and neck. I daily comb this fur out and spend time scratching that area for him.

I wish your gorgeous boy the very best in his recovery. Is that him in your avatar? What is his name?
Thank you for taking the time to respond & for your comments. It’s been a rollercoaster of emotions but I’m glad to say Rasta’s been an angel at taking his meds & is doing well so far. Yes, that’s him in the avatar. I truly hope he will adapt. He hasn’t used the litter tray yet 😬 He is gorgeous & very much loved 🐾🐾🐾

Anjak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
tripawds.com
This is a website and support group for owners and pets who are amputees.

I had an amputee GSD who had melanoma, from which he did not die. While it seems extreme, it is the most proactive thing to do for any dog or cat who could successfully survive with the loss of a limb. Most heal very well and quickly adapt to their new life. I suspect that cats may be more adaptable due to their generally much smaller size which puts less weight on the remaining leg and shoulder.

Weight distribution is 60% front, or 30% each leg, and 40% back, or 20% each leg. Given that it is a front leg, you may want to get some steps or other aids to help your cat access higher places in your house.
Thank you 🙏 yes, I’m quite worried about how he will manage the stairs. It doesn’t have carpet & am wondering if carpet would make things any easier for him? Will definitely look into adapting things to make his life as easy as possible. He’s currently cosy & comfortable 💗🐾🐾🐾x

Anjak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm glad you joined the site and came here to ask your question because there are several members who have a tripod cat. Hopefully they will see your post and be able to comment with some helpful advice and information:
Boris Diamond Boris Diamond and angels mommy angels mommy
Thank you 🙏 hope so too. Have a lot to learn & would appreciate any advice 🐾🐾🐾x

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Cats can be surprising, but watch him as he recovers. The stairs might be hard, especially uncarpeted and you might want to restrict him in his movement around your house at first until he is more adjusted to having three legs.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a general question here for anyone with a "tripawd" (which is a term I never heard before this thread... 😂 obviously a loving term for a bad situation ).

How does this affect a cat's play? Do you have to use specific toys?

Anjak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats can be surprising, but watch him as he recovers. The stairs might be hard, especially uncarpeted and you might want to restrict him in his movement around your house at first until he is more adjusted to having three legs.
He’s in a pen & will be for 10-14 days… at the moment he’s alert (until the gabapentin kicks in) is eating well. I don’t know how long it will take for him to use the litter tray? The stairs will be blocked off when he’s allowed to be more mobile. I did think a carpet would be better. Thank you 🙏 🐾🐾🐾x

Anjak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just a general question here for anyone with a "tripawd" (which is a term I never heard before this thread... 😂 obviously a loving term for a bad situation ).

How does this affect a cat's play? Do you have to use specific toys?
… there’s a whole site dedicated to ‘tripawd’ 💗 The effect it will have on his usual cat behaviour is what I’ve struggled the most with to get my head around. He won’t make biscuits, he won’t stretch on his scratchy post & at the moment, he won’t be able to dig a hole to use his litter tray. I am grieving for this & feeling like I’ve robbed him of his basic enjoyment. I truly hope he will adapt & play again 😢🐾🐾🐾x

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is true that some behaviors will not be possible, at least at first, but you have to focus on the much greater good of what you did for your cat. You may even be surprised at some of the adaptations that he makes as he heals. He may have been in discomfort with the tumor and the removal of the leg might have brought a lot of relief. If the leg had become useless, as often happens if an inoperable tumor is left in place, the cat or dog is left with a leg that has to be dragged along which is a far worse situation.

His surgery was two days ago and he is recovering right now, so you aren't going to see the previous more active behaviors until he feels a little bit better.

A 10 year old cat can live for years to come and he will adjust to his new condition.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Make sure the litter pan has a low side on it for easy access. Also use double stick velcro and secure it to the floor. If you use clumping litter you might want to switch to shredded paper until he gets the hang of things, otherwise you might wind up with a clay cat.

Be sure to give him his pain meds as directed even if you don’t think he needs it.

Feed smaller meals and if he will eat it, canned is better.

You may have to adjust his diet, the last thing you want is a fat 3 legged cat. So, keep an eye on his weight, but of course make sure he eats.

Anjak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is true that some behaviors will not be possible, at least at first, but you have to focus on the much greater good of what you did for your cat. You may even be surprised at some of the adaptations that he makes as he heals. He may have been in discomfort with the tumor and the removal of the leg might have brought a lot of relief. If the leg had become useless, as often happens if an inoperable tumor is left in place, the cat or dog is left with a leg that has to be dragged along which is a far worse situation.

His surgery was two days ago and he is recovering right now, so you aren't going to see the previous more active behaviors until he feels a little bit better.

A 10 year old cat can live for years to come and he will adjust to his new condition.
Thank you 🙏 I’ve had 3 cats who lived into their 20’s, which is the reason why the amputation was the only option. He was still using his leg but I do think it must’ve hurt. The soft tissue carcinoma was too embedded for the tumour to be removed. This morning he is meowing his head off for attention & keen to have his breakfast. I’m pleased to report that he had his first bowel movement last night! 🙌 🐾🐾🐾x

Anjak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Make sure the litter pan has a low side on it for easy access. Also use double stick velcro and secure it to the floor. If you use clumping litter you might want to switch to shredded paper until he gets the hang of things, otherwise you might wind up with a clay cat.

Be sure to give him his pain meds as directed even if you don’t think he needs it.

Feed smaller meals and if he will eat it, canned is better.

You may have to adjust his diet, the last thing you want is a fat 3 legged cat. So, keep an eye on his weight, but of course make sure he eats.
Thank you 🙏 he’s already on a good diet, due to previous constipation issues. He has added fibre, water & latulose in his wet food & recently began cisapride to help. The litter is non clumping wood chip, he didn’t seem to like the paper version, & the litter tray has a lowered access point. I’m pleased to report he had his first bowel movement last night, albeit rather awkwardly! 🙌 He’s on 2 gabapentin every 8 hours, antibiotics twice a day & Metacam 5kg every 24 hours, so pretty dosed up on meds for pain relief! Post op check up at vets this afternoon to check on his wound but it’s all looking pretty healthy to me. I’m so relieved he’s managed to use the litter tray, big step for him in his road to recovery 💗🐾🐾🐾x

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Amputation sites are not as gruesome as what it seems that they would be and there is a clean healing where the incision was made.

I have seen this in dogs more than in cats; however, I firmly believe that when animal have an inoperable tumor or cancer in a limb it stands to be painful even if they do not show it. Removing the leg is probably a huge relief.

Anjak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Amputation sites are not as gruesome as what it seems that they would be and there is a clean healing where the incision was made.

I have seen this in dogs more than in cats; however, I firmly believe that when animal have an inoperable tumor or cancer in a limb it stands to be painful even if they do not show it. Removing the leg is probably a huge relief.
Thank you 🙏 yes, I think it must be, bless him. He’s doing really well & the wound is healing nicely 🐾🐾🐾