Advice for new Mom of rescued feral fur baby

Miki Lee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Need some advice on SO many things! On 10/26/19 we live trapped a 15/16yr old female feral that lived in the parking lot where I work since she was a kitten (staff got her into CNR program early on in her life). Many had tried to get close to her during her life there, but she picked me as her human (mind you... it was over 8 months of standing out in below freezing temps and then hot summer days in MN for at least an hr a day before she let me even pet her). She is now home with us (vetted, shots, etc...) and has her own safe room. Amazed at the progress she has made in less than a month... sleeps with me on the bed I put in her room, loves the heat vent, is learning to "play"... and so many other wonderful baby steps!
Barriers yet to be crossed... meeting my husband, her new feline siblings and letting her loose to explore the whole house (3 levels). HELP!!!! Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I introduced new to household, I put the elders in another room...and allowed the newbie to discover, and scout the house. I did that for several days, to ensure, the newbie had the same home-field advantage as the elders. As for meeting new humans, go slow, offer treats, allow lots of smelling. Good luck and God bless you for having a purr-fectly furry heart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Miki Lee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I introduced new to household, I put the elders in another room...and allowed the newbie to discover, and scout the house. I did that for several days, to ensure, the newbie had the same home-field advantage as the elders. As for meeting new humans, go slow, offer treats, allow lots of smelling. Good luck and God bless you for having a purr-fectly furry heart.
A great idea I had never thought of but will definitely try! Thank you!!! :clapcat:

Miki Lee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on our girl Kiki... I believe she is loving indoor life. Opened the windows thinking she might miss the fresh air... want's nothing to do with it (mind you... MN... freezing temps...). Thank you FeebysOwner for the links! They have been very helpful in our new role of feral parents. Scent familiarization had taken care of itself over the 8 months of getting her to come to me in the parking lot, we swapped sniffers everyday that whole time. On to "sight".... We have had the baby gates stacked in the door for a few days now and things are going 50% great lol Even got brave enough to bring Louie Dude, our resident orange labracat (yellow lab born in an orange tomcat body) into her room in my lap and she walked up with no aggression to touch noses with him! So lucky he is so mellow he accepted the nose bumps :) Unfortunately the resident she cat, Lily B (guess what B stands for!) is not so nice about it... stands at the gate and hisses when she sees Kiki... again lucky... thru the gate Kiki has so far not responded with aggression. HUDSONPAT Will definitely use your lock up the residents and let the new one learn the turf before letting them share the common spaces. I am SO glad I found this website when I needed to... you have all been very helpful and supportive... Thank you!

Miki Lee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely agree it's a good thing! I am So happy Louie Dude is the dude he is lol He protected his elder sisters (19yrs & 22yrs) from the bully Lily B before they passed in Feb & May this year, I am hoping he does the same for his 15yr old new sister. Such is why I introduced those two before the she-cat even got into the picture. Baby steps to the bus...

Miki Lee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
you actually got that quote? :clapcat: "what about bob"!

Miki Lee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Final Update on our girl Kiki... she is a precious old soul and I am so happy and privileged that she chose me as her "hooman". The wary feral look has completely gone out of her eyes. Getting along great with one feline sibling, Louie Dude (as mentioned in previous update), only issue is he has this stupid urge to bite one of her ears after giving her head a wonderful bath and he ends up getting swatted. She has learned how to play! Gotta share this... first catnip toy was a long hair furry mousey... she bit into it a couple times and gave me the weirdest look, could only imagine these were her thoughts, "it doesn't run away, it didn't scream, it's not bleeding and I can't eat it... wtf?" She has a new cloth mousy with it's tail tied to a string on a stick.... crazy fun! The twitchy kicking growling crying wake up scared dreams are almost completely gone and she is sleeping deeply with her head on my hand, knowing she is safe. My Husband is able to get her to come to him for pets (most of the time lol), he is wet feeding, petting and practicing "pick up" (while petting you randomly pick them up and set back down a couple feet away, something I did in the parking lot before she was live trapped and came home). She has so far decided that the upper level of our house is good enough, but I see that changing soon (Lily B is still an issue downstairs... see previous update). She has gained a pound... up to 9 and has the cutest little tummy that doesn't show ribs anymore. Is very helpful when I'm on my laptop doing anything (like... trying to write this lol). Something that might seem stupid to people who have not worked with a feral, is my most recent happy... her claws had grown since her rescue day vet visit, she was snagging and getting stuck with every step... she let me trim them! Woohoo! Below are pictures.... the first is her in the parking lot, the second is her now, what a difference in her eyes! Gimongo THANK YOU to everyone who responded to my original post, your help, suggestions and links made all the difference in the world in making her rescue a success story!
kl8s250EQNuhPw8wKVN5Jw.jpg fullsizeoutput_671.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww! I love the look the ferals give when they learn to play! You have made an amazing difference and it shows clearly! Sending loving purrs to you and all there. More love to come! :vibes::redheartpump::clap2::goldstar: