Advice For Highly Active And Vocal Young Burmese Cat

EvK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

First time poster here. A bit of background:
I have loved and owned cats all of my life. My parents had Siamese and I grew up with Birmans (both now 16 years old and live with my parents). When I moved out and got my own place and full time job I adopted a fluffy rescue kitten named Alex. For a couple of days as he settled in he was meowing pretty much all night, as expected for a kitten in a new environment. I worked full time so was away most of the day but when I would get home Alex was a dream, so affectionate and loving and always up for a game and purring. He followed me around like a dog and was my best friend. I lived in a second storey building and he was content to be inside and lounging around the balcony and complex but never venturing near the road or too far from my house- he was always in sight and always seemed content. Unfortunately my long term relationship broke up, and my lease on the house ended. My ex had stable accomodation and loved Alex so I was happy for him to have “custody” of him, but sad all the same but know Alex is in good care.

After a year or so of missing having an “Alex” in my life, and having a small house that allows pets I thought the time was right to adopt another cat. This time I was determined come hell or high water, relationship break ups or otherwise, whatever cat I got would be with me for its whole natural life.

I happened upon an ad for a 4 month old Burmese boy kitten needing a home. I went to meet him, admittedly knowing nothing about Burmese cats, but straight away I was smitten. He was so friendly and affectionate since the moment I walked in the door. He slept on my lap the whole drive home purring.

I named him Jon, he’s a lilac Burmese, desexed, now 6 months old. The trouble is, I am single and I work full time. I am away from the house 8-12 hours a day. When I get home I immediately shower him with attention and play with all sorts of games and toys. I built him an extensive cat tree covered in carpet for scratching. He has access to windows and I take him to play in the yard supervised daily. However, the more time I have spent away from the house that day, the more restless and pacing and yowling he does. No matter what I do, he just paces the house with an anguished sounding yowl... for hours... non stop. The days that I have off work, I spend as much time as possible with him and he is a completely diffferent cat- the howling stops and he is content to play and purr and sleep on my lap smiling.

I know the cause of his pacing and yowling is because he needs more stimulation and social contact during the day. Unfortunately I can’t stop full time work, but I have resigned my current job and am moving to a smaller town where I will be in a role with less hours away from home and a minimal drive to and from work, so more time spent with him. I made these decisions in big part for his wellbeing. I’m also intending to move into a large house with a large enclosed yard/ patio/ somwhere I can build him a large outdoor run because a lot of his howling is directed at the windows and doors but no ay would I let him out unsupervised in my current place because it’s so close to the road.

I’m seriously considering getting a second Burmese to keep him company while I’m at work, but I’m unsure if this will solve the problem?

I know I /should/ have researched the breed more, I was naive about their needs when I got him, and I regret that but I do not regret getting him and I made a commitment to him. I want to give him the best life possible, but feel so sad and guilty every day when he howls constantly because I can’t stop full time work for the foreseeable.

Does anyone have any ideas/ advice/ experience? Is it possible for me to give Jon a happy life and meet his needs while having a full time job? I love the cat and don’t want to ever give him up but I also want him to be happy.

THanks in advance,
EvK

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

the more restless and pacing and yowling he does.
I'm assuming you have cameras set up? How are you finding out he does this?

Try music, there's low volume classical harp music, the app Relax My Cat, MusicForCats . com

There are streaming videos for cats, of squirrels and birds etc

Can you give her toys, like food puzzles and hexbug toys, etc so she can self-entertain?

Food Puzzles for Cats

20 Best Interactive Cat Toys: The Ultimate List (2018) | Heavy.com

Home The Ripple Rug

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, I deeply admire your willingness to uproot your life for the good of your kitten! That takes a special kind of person...actually, there are a good many of them here, but still a rare breed!

Furballsmom Furballsmom gave you some excellent advice. It does sound as if your kitten might be lonely, and if that's the case, another kitten, if it is the RIGHT kitten, may well be your answer! Of course, be prepared for them to tear around your house, into and onto EVERYTHING until they actually grow up...somewhere past the first half of the second year (so...about 18 months). Then again, you get the benefit of a floorshow in your own home, with lots of laughter, so there's that! Should you decide on a companion for Jon, these articles will help!

Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do) (just in case)

Bear in mind that introducing two cats can take weeks...sometimes months, but (and especially with kittens) sometimes they just take to each other right away. Go as slowly as the most reluctant kitten needs you to go, and all will be well!