advice for fostering/socializing semi-feral young cat?

moxielou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi all, brand new to the site! my partner and i have been feeding a lovely little cat for the last few months. when we first started feeding him -- we think he's male because we've seen him spray -- in october 2020, we thought he was on the smaller side, perhaps six or so months old. so now, we believe he's likely still under 1 year old. he seems to have gotten more and more trusting as we've been feeding him, i.e. making eye contact, sitting right outside the glass door, turning his back to us as he eats, walking toward us when we're holding food, and even meowing at us! we think he's semi-feral and social, so we're hopeful he can be socialized. next week, we have an appointment at the local low-cost vet for a neuter/flea treatment, and afterwards, we're planning to foster him. do you have any tips for socializing a young cat who's semi-feral? we've never fostered a cat before!

here's a pic of the little guy :)
C27CC7E1-535E-4757-9D16-AB4ED9CC40E2.jpeg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are MANY older threads on here about socializing a young feral cat. The first thing to know is is he staying inside or out? If he stays outside after neuter will be much less stressful for him, but he still should be restrained in a garage or even a carrier/cage until he fully recovers, from a few hours to a day. He may even disappear for a while because he is traumatized. There are many people on here who are more experienced than me, they will help you more in detail.
He is beautiful! (and lucky) Looking forward to hearing his progress.......

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have taken cats right off the streets at various ages and the ones I had a problem with were what I call "true ferals". I know many who deal with outdoor cats just think there are two categories for them; Stray (domesticated but lost or abandoned) or feral(no socialization and very little contact with humans). I believe in the third category: Semi-ferals(cats born outdoors, but have had enough contact with humans that they are not shy like ferals.) Right now, out of the two groups of cats I feed, I say they're 5 cats I can pet and one is a lap cat who allow me to scratch his belly.😻 I would love to get these cats off the streets, but can't right now. Strays can be reacquainted with being a domestic kitty and I believe Semi-ferals can be taken in, and it may take some time and patience to bring them around, but I have done it and seen others do it as well. I have also seen true ferals taken in and the success rate is on the low side because it may take a very long time to get them use to domestic living, and still they never really lose their feral traits. I think true ferals would be happier on the streets--that is home. I would say that the cat you plan on fostering is a semi-feral most likely. However, still check at the vet to see if he has a microchip. You want to rule that out before you proceed. If there is no microchip and you checked with your neighbors to see if anyone owns this cat, then do bring this cat in for vetting and socialization. I would say he probably had no owner. If it turns out he does have an owner, you need to ask why this cat wasn't neutered. I bring up all this because I had a cat who was lost for over 5 months. I think someone had him all that time which was odd since because I plastered the neighborhood with Lost Cat posters. There may be the possibility someone is looking for this cat.

To start the socialization process, you need to
Set this kitty in a small room with a crate and a place he can hide when scared. Give him his space. Show that you mean him no harm, sit or kneel down when he is in your presence, the smaller you make yourself, the more at ease he will be with you. Feed him using a spoon when he is in the crate. Talk to him in a comforting voice. Interact with him when he is not stressed out by using feather wands or string toys (the longer the better until you gain his trust.) Let him out of the crate in the closed off room when you feel he has begun to trust you, sit down and interact with him through play or food. When this cat no longer fear you, his personality will come out. Take things one step at a time and don't rush things. It may take a while, but you will eventually break through. Best of luck to you.🙂

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I completely agree with Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose that the third category of semi feral truly exists and those cats have tremendous potential for socialization. It usually just take a little longer and you have to go more slowly. This boy has decided that on some level you are his friend. Also, true ferals never meow...they are trained by their mother never to make a noise as it identifies them as prey. When they eventually do meow, if they decide to trust someone, it usually does not sound like a normal meow. Cats only meow at humans, so he is talking to you.

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles