Advice for cat care post-op

profdanglais

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Hugo has had some serious surgery [TMI incoming]. He had a stone obstructing his urethra that was lodged too tightly to push back into the bladder with a catheter (catheter couldn't pass it or budge it at all) and so the vet had to place an incision above it and from the best I can understand of what he said, essentially cut the tip of Hugo's penis off to remove the stone and cut a new hole for him to urinate through. Clearly, this is traumatic surgery in itself, and on top of that Hugo is naturally anxious and sensitive and when he goes to the vet he's so, so stressed. He had to stay overnight last night and when we picked him up he was barely responsive. Until we got home, then he went mad. Stumbling around, crying, and he had urinated in the carrier and there was a lot of blood mixed in (vet said to expect a bit of blood in urine but it was still upsetting to see). Eventually he calmed down and has been resting intermittently, he's been eating and drinking and has had several trips to the litter box and produced a small but healthy amount of urine that had minimal blood in it. So that's good news.

However, his incision is oozing blood. He keeps trying to lick it, which of course he can't manage with the plastic cone but whenever he tries he presses the edge of the cone onto the incision and that's gotta hurt, plus it irritates the incision. There's not a huge amount of blood but obviously I'd like to keep him from doing that if at all possible.

I'd also very much prefer not to have to take him back to the vet for another day. He has an appointment Wednesday evening for a post-op checkup and that's going to be hard enough on him when he's just got home. What I'm looking for is any suggestions or advice for how to keep him as calm as possible and maybe ways I might gently clean his back legs and tail--there's still blood and urine in his fur from when he was in his carrier and he can't reach to clean it. But he is very, very resistant to being touched there at the moment--he yelps and growls if we try. Are there any products you recommend? He doesn't really react to Feliway. Does anyone have any experience with cats who have had a similar operation?

I've ordered a new cone that should be a bit softer and lighter and hope that will be less stressful for him to wear and also less harsh if he presses it against his incision. Is there anything else you think I could do?

Thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Until you get the soft cone, maybe try wrapping the edge of the plastic cone with some gauze and tape so it won't irritate the incision too much?

You can try pet grooming wipes or unscented baby wipes or even just a damp paper towel to clean around the incision but be gentle as the area will be very sore for at least a few days.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 beat me to the only thing I could think of...padding the edge of the cone until the new one comes in. Let us know how he's doing, please!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What pain meds is he on? For now, don’t clean him. You’ll just upset him. When you take him in on Wed ask them to clip all the hair in that area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

profdanglais

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! He settled in a bit today with the plastic cone, but when the soft one came we put that on and it seems much more comfortable. Also it still does the job of preventing him from reaching his incision--possibly better than the plastic did and it doesn't seem to press against the wound when he tries. Bad news is he's just so determined to lick that he keeps trying and getting frustrated when he can't.

For pain meds he was on Onisor but it wasn't super effective so the vet has given him some opioid (Vetergesic) for the next few days. I haven't tried to clean him but he did manage to clean his back paws and tail. Overall he seems brighter and more like himself though obviously still a long way to go for recovery.