Advice For A New Cat Foster

paigey.fosters

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I'm Paige, growing up I always gravitated toward stray cats. I had many of my own, and even along the way helped find homes for 8 kittens/cats! I'm 24 yrs old now and just moved out with my long-term boyfriend. I recently came across a stray kitten at a speedway gas station and visited 3 days with cat food. I later decided she had potential to be tamed and contacted my TNR program. With their help, she was trapped and taken to my apartment where she was rehabbed for a week -- along with an expensive vet visit. Now that she's being spayed today, I'm hoping to take her to adoption events at my local pet stores. I would really LOVE to continue fostering needy kittens but my apartment told me with the lease agreement I signed that stated a max of 2 pets, that even fostering would break the contract.

So, my question is: How can I foster? My lease will be up next year, so I have no plan of staying there as me and my bf live with 2 other roommates and want to live alone next year. I also will be finishing college and have a full-time medical assisting job next year. But I would still love to find time to foster. So how do I go about finding an apartment that allows fostering? I know they're worried about destruction of property etc but there's no way all fosters just conveniently own their own homes?

I've seen college students as well as yt videos of people my age fostering so there has to be a way, right?

Also any tips on how to foster would be amazing! I've researched myself, and would love to bottle feed babies someday but a full-time job kind of destroys that dream.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m only a couple years older than you and I’ve been fostering for years.

It basically comes down to speaking with prospective landlords. I was able to actually find a landlord who also rescued and fostered, so that worked out well.

But I spoke to others and had two other landlord who were okay with fosters. Some had restrictions, like one foster at a time or no kittens, or only kittens (believing small kittens would do the least damage).

Most had a stipulation that I could have fosters so long as I didn’t raise my “permanent resident” pets - although at the time I either had no pets, or only one.

I will say, that bottle babies are the easiest to foster without getting in trouble... if you can take on all the feedings and care, that is. Most landlords will accept the excuse “I just found these newborn kittens outside” and so long as they’re out within 6 or so weeks, they usually overlook this - in part because of how young they are, but also because bottle babies aren’t capable of doing much damage.