Advice, adult cat chasing new kitten?

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We brought home a new kitten just over 2 weeks ago. This makes cat #5. Introducing them is going pretty well. Kitten is allowed to roam the house while we are awake, no more hissing or swiping, they can eat together, nap on the same bed, except we have one issue. The 2nd youngest cat (3 y/o) has gotten into the habit of stalking and chasing the kitten when she moves. It doesn't seem aggressive, she's pouncing but not attacking after. The kitten is scared to move if the 3yo is in the room.
Because it's not hostile, I can't figure out how to get the 3yo to stop it. Toys and lasers are fun to chase, but the kitten is more fun. Any tips?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the other cats are older, this could be just some over-excitement from your 3 yo in having a potential playmate. Keep up with the distraction techniques, and if that doesn't work, you will have to go to the next step - picking up your 3yo, telling them "NO" or hissing in their face (pick one and stick with it), and then placing the 3yo into a separate room for a 1–2-minute time out. No longer, as the purpose will be lost beyond that. This will only be successful if you do it each and every time for as long as it is needed. I don't know how old the kitten is, but once she gets older, she will likely take care of matters herself.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep up with the distraction techniques, and if that doesn't work, you will have to go to the next step - picking up your 3yo, telling them "NO" or hissing in their face (pick one and stick with it), and then placing the 3yo into a separate room for a 1–2-minute time out.
I was thinking the same thing, as well as hang in there, it won't be long before the little one won't be so little:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the other cats are older, this could be just some over-excitement from your 3 yo in having a potential playmate. Keep up with the distraction techniques, and if that doesn't work, you will have to go to the next step - picking up your 3yo, telling them "NO" or hissing in their face (pick one and stick with it), and then placing the 3yo into a separate room for a 1–2-minute time out. No longer, as the purpose will be lost beyond that. This will only be successful if you do it each and every time for as long as it is needed. I don't know how old the kitten is, but once she gets older, she will likely take care of matters herself.
Things are devolving. =( Kitten (4mos old) has gone from curiously exploring the house to super fearful. She's spent 20hours+ a day hiding in a bathtoom shelf.
When I bring her out she sticks really close to me or my wife and sprints back to the bathroom if she sees the 3y/o (doesn't matter if shes eating, playing, user the litterbox).

Haven't had a chance to give the 3y/o a time out, kitten takes off before the 3y/o notices her.

Do I just let her hide til shes comfortable?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always tell folks that these older cat-kitten things are fine as long as the kitten is only scared in the moment of rough play itself, and not all the time. And that is the normal case. After a week or so, you don't normally find kittens that are just generally afraid of an older cat. You, unfortunately, have the outlying situation where yes, it actually is a real problem. This is rather rare, and I don't have personal experience, or even a lot of forum learning, to share. I do think some sort of intervention is warranted, as we don't know if the kitten will grow out of this or not. Kittens are generally the most adaptible of cats -- but that is why they don't get into this situation in the first place. Even with shy/skittish kittens, it normally doesn't take more than a week or so.

Waiting a bit longer isn't crazy. This kitten might still make the typical transition. However, I'm a bit nervous that its been long enough that this little one is stuck in a fear cycle and might not be able to get out of it on their own. So if this doesn't resolve quickly, what is the best intervention? I'm not sure.

This might sound terrible, but you know, kittens are easily rehomable. This kitten could be very very happy as an only cat, or in a house with another kitten. And in your house, your young active cat might love a more typical kitten. I'd probably give it another couple of days, but beyond that, you clearly need a strategy if you want to work on this further rather than giving up the kitten.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do I just let her hide til shes comfortable?
Thinking about this, her confidence is very low. You could try playing with her, and loving on her in her own safe space, which is the bathroom. You'll need to give her food, water and a litterbox for the time you are working on building her confidence.

Can you contain the 3yo in a separate room after a little while, for a little while, during which time you work on bringing the kitten gently and for short timeperiods back out into the house?

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always tell folks that these older cat-kitten things are fine as long as the kitten is only scared in the moment of rough play itself, and not all the time. And that is the normal case. After a week or so, you don't normally find kittens that are just generally afraid of an older cat. You, unfortunately, have the outlying situation where yes, it actually is a real problem. This is rather rare, and I don't have personal experience, or even a lot of forum learning, to share. I do think some sort of intervention is warranted, as we don't know if the kitten will grow out of this or not. Kittens are generally the most adaptible of cats -- but that is why they don't get into this situation in the first place. Even with shy/skittish kittens, it normally doesn't take more than a week or so.

Waiting a bit longer isn't crazy. This kitten might still make the typical transition. However, I'm a bit nervous that its been long enough that this little one is stuck in a fear cycle and might not be able to get out of it on their own. So if this doesn't resolve quickly, what is the best intervention? I'm not sure.

This might sound terrible, but you know, kittens are easily rehomable. This kitten could be very very happy as an only cat, or in a house with another kitten. And in your house, your young active cat might love a more typical kitten. I'd probably give it another couple of days, but beyond that, you clearly need a strategy if you want to work on this further rather than giving up the kitten.
Thinking about this, her confidence is very low. You could try playing with her, and loving on her in her own safe space, which is the bathroom. You'll need to give her food, water and a litterbox for the time you are working on building her confidence.

Can you contain the 3yo in a separate room after a little while, for a little while, during which time you work on bringing the kitten gently and for short timeperiods back out into the house?
A much longer time out did help got the 3y/o to back off for an hour, Kitten saw it happening and came out on her own. But it was short lived. Kitten was content to stay in the room as long as a human was between her and the 3y/o then the 3y/o pounced and chased.

The kitten is only scared of the 3y/o, not even scared of oldest, who cat hisses and swipes at any cat that gets close

The 3y/o is in another time out. I blocked the room's entrance with a cage door. maybe itll help get them accustomed to each other. I doubt it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So that photo is the 3 yo, and the kitten?

I'm still of the thought and hope that as the kitten puts on size and maturity, it will become better able to "handle" the 3yo .. ..

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So that photo is the 3 yo, and the kitten?

I'm still of the thought and hope that as the kitten puts on size and maturity, it will become better able to "handle" the 3yo .. ..
No,That's the kitten with the oldest cat (Molly). The 3yo doesn't swipe or hiss, Molly does both, a lot.The kitten only fears the 3yo. (Really, I just wanted to show off a picture of my kitten, so cute!).

20220823_150555.jpg
This is the kitten (Nicole) with 3yo (Jennifer).
Here, the Jennifer is recovering from an extra long 25min time out, both bribed with treats, me standing 3ft away, both distracted with a brand new toy. Despite all that Jennifer still has her ears and eyes locked on the kitten. Kitten always stays flat like that around Jennifer.
The kitten'll take off if the jennifer stops lying down, Or if I leave the room. Jennifer will chase If the kitten stands up Or even moves too much.

Jennifer is a lot smaller than the other adult cats, and I would play hide and seek with her from when we 1st got her. I never had to teach her not to do something, she's not processing that kitten is not to be hunted,

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gracious, Jennifer, what's the deal??

I apologize, I don't recall if you said, but would calming treats help Jennifer?

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gracious, Jennifer, what's the deal??

I apologize, I don't recall if you said, but would calming treats help Jennifer?
Hmmm, I actually didn't consider that. Something with melatonin or more drastically drugging Jen with something like gabapentin to make her sleepy for a few weeks would probably solve everything.

I've never seen a difference with OTC products but tried Feliway calming collar and sentry calming spray but that kinda makes sense, Jennifer is not an anxious cat, she doesnt even react to the vacuum cleaner. She just really wants to chase the fuzzy the new toy walking around the house.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe on the flip side, what about for the kitten--I don't know if there are any calming products that are safe for kittens? If the kitten didn't react, Jennifer might have less reason to hunt/chase/pounce etc.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe on the flip side, what about for the kitten--I don't know if there are any calming products that are safe for kittens? If the kitten didn't react, Jennifer might have less reason to hunt/chase/pounce etc.
worth a shot. I think earlier posts are correct, The kitten needs to build up confidence and not see Jennifer as a threat. (which she really isn't, i've litterally never hear her hiss, ever)

One new development which is kind of good. Our oldest male, Luke, has no interest in the other cats. I'd say he's the alpha but (aside from peeing on and around every litter box) he doesn't clash with the other cats just ignores them, he won't eat next to them, he's too dignified to play when they're around, and they leave him alone. He likes things calm, he'll just leave if other cats are playing around him.

I think the kitten has picked up on that. If she's hiding and Luke walks by, she'll follow him out of the 2 rooms she stays in, and settles near him. I've walking in on them in the office, 1st floor bathroom and the living room. He might be the key to bringing harmony back to the house.
295931489_961500421913013_9082229775705100119_n.jpg

kitten with luke

Last edited:

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The 3y/o has figured out hearing a stern "No!' means a time-out is coming, she'll sit or leave the room. I dont think shes figured out i only say no when shes about to pounce on the kitten.
The kitten is still too scared to come out on her own.
The shelf she hides in is 4" tall, 18" deep, too small for the other cats to fit in, too deep for thier paws to reach all the way in.
I made some boxes over the weekend with the same dimentions One in every large room of the house. plan is to block off the bathroom shelf, if she wants to hide, she can.

It hasn't been implemented yet, I noticed a lump on the kittens neck I'm keeping her isolated until a vet can check it out tomorrow.

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Disaster, what I thought was a fungus or some other skin condition on her throat was a deep infected bite. It's healing up fine with antibiotic cream, but the kitten's fear response makes a lot more sense now.
I bought the brand name pheromone collars and sprays, keeping the 3y/o separated from the kitten (keeping 2 cats on one floor, 3 on the other. Mixing up the combinations while keeping those 2 apart.
The kitten is ok with the other cats. I could keep them apart til the kitten is bigger, not sure if that's the best idea either.