Advice about settling a stray cat...

nycats

Mother of 3 cats & fosters
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is all so great! I think you are both still frightened by each other. It takes time to build trust. From his point of view, you are these giants that kidnapped him and locked him inside strange place with scary unknown things.

Yes, the tail up with slight curve is very good. That's a happy cat! Like walli said, getting him neutered will definitely take the edge off and mellow him out. Might as well get it over with ;)

• Purraise
Reactions: Wab
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Wab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've learnt today that when a cat rolls on it's side and rubs himself around the carpet, while on his back, it's not an open invitation for a tummy rub.

But even though he did whack me, it wasn't the normal savaging he's given me in previous weeks. No blood was drawn.

Which is nice and still progress.

But his tummy looks so lovely to stroke; he's such a tease.

nycats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Aha! Yes this is a common misconception. It is definitely not an invitation. And it's good that he let you know somewhat gently. That belly tho right? I also get very tempted. My Billi boy lets me do whatever when he's sleeping next to me. I can grab his paws, touch tummy, anything. But others aren't too keen on that. 🤔

• Purraise

Wab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We're making progress, and Smudge is starting to come out from under the bed and lie in warm and more comfortable places. But if I were to stroke him when he's on the bed like this (pics below), he's likely to still hiss or attack me; any touching has to be done on his terms, when he wants it.

I'm okay with that.

Once, last weekend, after my wife gave him breakfast, he came onto the bed purring and actually lay on top of the duvet, but between my legs. I didn't touch him; I didn't want to spoil it by frightening him.

I still haven't plucked up the courage to take him to the vets to have his nads removed, but I think I'll make the appointment this morning, but keep the appointment till mid December because we have my daughter's friend (from Ohio) coming to stay with us in the UK for a few weeks. I don't want him to have to deal with a new person and the trauma of the op at the same time.

https://flic.kr/p/2hMSeT6]IMG_9220[/url] by https://www.flickr.com/photos/59614830@N07/]Whey-Aye-Banzai[/url], on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/2hMSeuR]IMG_9232[/url] by https://www.flickr.com/photos/59614830@N07/]Whey-Aye-Banzai[/url], on Flickr

Wab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's also really food orientated. If anyone gets up at 3.00 am to go to the toilet in the middle of the night, he's around them like a rash, meowing and telling us it's breakfast time. He's a really vocal cat when he thinks it's feeding time, which is anytime after dinner till 6.00 am when he gets fed.

nycats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Awwww soooo cuuuute! All sounds really good. He's making steady progress. He's definitely seeing you as source of food, which is great, and he is starting to trust you more and more. If he's not spraying, it's okay for you to wait to neuter him a bit longer, but he definitely will calm down more, after the hormones are out of his system. So hopefully you can get it done in December for sure!

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I definitely agree with others - having him neutered has a very good chance of alleviating or entirely eliminating the attacks.

I know you’d like to wait until he is more comfortable, but it really is not necessary. His progress is going to be hindered and take far longer if he’s able to pick up on the apprehension you and your family have over the possibility of an attack - which in turn, will cause you to postpone the neutering even longer.

It’s best just to do it and get it out of the way so that you can start with a “clean slate” sooner. Hormones can take weeks to regulate after surgery, which means it might be weeks later until his behavior improves.

He won’t be significantly traumatized or set back by going to the vet/surgery, I promise you. They recover and forget quickly, especially males (much less invasive procedure compared to females).

It’s also important to note that those hormones, along with being in a new environment with significantly decreased territory and no access to females in heat, are very likely to cause him substantial disstress since he has no appropriate outlet.

You said he is quite food motivated, so it shouldn’t be too difficult to lure him into a carrier with an extra special (I.e. stinky) treat!

Other than neutering...

Have you tried playing with him with a wand toy?

Wab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I thought I'd give you an update. Smudge has been neutered, flea, ticked and wormed. The vet didn't want to give him inoculations just yet; she said it would be 'too much' all in one go. He's pretty much an indoor cat at the moment anyway and has shown no inclination to go outside. Which I think is a bit weird since he is a street cat.

He's settled in - though still wary of me - but is quite attached to my other half. He sleeps on our bed and wakes up in the small hours when he thinks it's breakfast time. He's getting quite cheeky though won't sit our laps, doesn't like being picked up and will still happily savage me if he's feeling threatened (which I try not to do).

Anyway, thanks for all the tips and advice.

Here's Smudge about an hour ago...

https://flic.kr/p/2i7nLFD]IMG_4373[/url] by https://www.flickr.com/photos/59614830@N07/]Whey-Aye-Banzai[/url], on Flickr

Wab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried playing with him with a wand toy?
Yes, he doesn't like it. Not one bit. And a laser pen. Didn't blink an eye-lid.

He LOVES cat nip though; it's like a real full-on drug with him. When he's rolling about on it, I once got too close to him and he threatened me with a savaging (a massive full-on hiss).

This is him with some cat nip sprinkled on the floor (my daughter does this for him).

Attachments

nycats

Adult Cat
Purraise
He is such a cutie pie! And it sounds like he's adjusting slowly but surely. I'm glad he is safe, warm and loved. Thank you for the update :D

• Purraise

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I thought I'd give you an update. Smudge has been neutered, flea, ticked and wormed. The vet didn't want to give him inoculations just yet; she said it would be 'too much' all in one go. He's pretty much an indoor cat at the moment anyway and has shown no inclination to go outside. Which I think is a bit weird since he is a street cat.

He's settled in - though still wary of me - but is quite attached to my other half. He sleeps on our bed and wakes up in the small hours when he thinks it's breakfast time. He's getting quite cheeky though won't sit our laps, doesn't like being picked up and will still happily savage me if he's feeling threatened (which I try not to do).

Anyway, thanks for all the tips and advice.

Here's Smudge about an hour ago...

https://flic.kr/p/2i7nLFD]IMG_4373[/url] by https://www.flickr.com/photos/59614830@N07/]Whey-Aye-Banzai[/url], on Flickr
Hm, that’s weird about your vet. Cats and dogs are pretty routinely neutered and vaccinated at the same time.

Not unusual at all for a street cat to adjust to indoor living! After about 3 weeks cats will begin to forget about their old territories/surroundings and adjust to their new environment to the extent that their homing instinct is no longer calling them back to where they came from. This is especially true when their new home is providing for all of their needs and making them feel safe!

You might try (now or in the future, depending on how he continues to acclimate) clicker training with him! Not only will it help make for a better behaved kitty, but it also fosters bonding and provides mental stimulation. Food motivated kitties are prime candidates for this!

And might I say, that is an incredible photo of a very fine looking cat!

Wab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just thought I'd give a little update on our violent semi-feral street cat.

It's taken some months, but he's turned out to be a lovely, lively, affectionate, NOISY, demanding little tyke.

He's training us well; we can't open the fridge without giving him a bit of ham or chicken. He sleeps between my partner and I in bed. He's learnt how to play and loves his fishing rod with feathers and a bell on. He's just started cadging food from us at meal times and he's even sat on my knee (twice, but we're working on this).

And occasionally, when I'm getting on his moobs, I'll see a flash of anger - his pupils will dilate - and he'll move quickly as if he's going to savage me, but then holds back and doesn't.

He's still an indoor cat; he'll sit on a window sill and chill in the sun, or watch stuff happen outside, but hasn't shown any urges to get out of the front door. So we'll keep him like that.

Thanks for all your help early on.

https://flic.kr/p/2iJCZor]IMG_4323[/url] by https://www.flickr.com/photos/59614830@N07/]Whey-Aye-One[/url], on Flickr

nycats

Adult Cat
Purraise
That's so wonderful! You guys did a great job with him. He sounds and looks very happy. Thanks for the update. It's especially nice at times like this! :redheartpump:

• Purraise