Advice about NATURAL medicine for my 9 yo cat with Hepatic Lipidosis.

douglas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Greetings everyone ! I hope all our feline friends find health and happiness !

​I am here because my buddy Jack is sick and I want to help him WITHOUT Vet Meds

He got real thin, real fast and started sitting in the "Meatloaf" position about a month ago. I took him to the Vet and was told his Bilirubin was high and Hepatic Lipidosis was killing him. A week in the Hospital , a feeding tube fiasco, and $ 6,500.00 later, he still feels like **** . I am giving him an immune system modulater called 'CARNIVORA' but would like to help him with his Nausea and I want to get away from  Pepcid and the like.  Any suggestions ?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My kitty had hepatic lipidosis almost six years ago.  It is almost always secondary to something and is caused by not eating enough for a period of time.  My kitty did have a feeding tube which makes things easier because the only cure is for the kitty to get enough calories to stop using it's fat stores.  There really is no medicine except forced feeding.  There is a supplement called Denamarin that contains milk thistle and sam-E which helps the liver heal.  The antibiotics are a precaution.  The liver is very weak right now and therefore is vulnerable to bacterial infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

douglas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Denice, thanks for the reply. My cat's lab results were all over the place but his ALT(GPT) was at 1800, his ALP was 287, CGT 19, and Total Bilirubin was at 9.2. Very high numbers considering the Normal Ranges are 0-100, 0-90, 0-10, and 0.0- 0.5 respectively. The veterinarians did an Ultrasound and his Lymph Nodes were enlarged and had to be aspirated. Still not sure what the underlying cause is . Lymphoma, Cholangitis, Displaysia,...just a few of the possible culprits. He has been given Denamarin, Clavamox, Cerenia, Lactulose, Reglan, Actigall, Pepcid, and others. I have been giving him an "Immune Modulater" as a preferred, natural medicine. However he is nauseated and I am looking for natural remedies to help my buddy feel better. I have Peppermint essential oil but not certain what to do with it. Any ideas will be appreciated.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately nausea goes with this.  I don't know anything about natural treatments for it.  

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Essential oils can be toxic to cats so please don't use it unless you have been specifically told to by a vet.

Have you looked into a holistic vet? One may be able to offer your cat alternative treatments for the fatty liver disease and nausea.