Adventures In Tnr Land.

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are currently working on getting the feral colony in the neighborhood park TNRd and I thought it would be a good idea to get a thread started to seek advice when needed. Like now!

We got into kitten foster last year when we had a pregnant stray wander in my home office and refuse to leave. It has been a wild adventure and turned into so much more than I could have expected. We expanded to TNR when a couple of the neighborhood kids alerted me to some kittens in a trash can in the park across the street. We socialized the two healthy ones, trapped mama and gave her the TNR treatment and sadly had to take one of the babies in for EU due to a malformation of the rib cage.

We just trapped what we thought was a handsome boy who was oddly calm for a feral. I held him an extra Day in a large dog kennel so I could take the time to ask around the neighborhood to see if he belonged to anyone. No one was familiar so we dubbed him Frank Sinclawtra and took him to the vet for TNR. When we picked up we were informed that “Frank” was really a Francine and she had been in heat! Just in time.

Since Frankie is so calm.. and seems terribly sad along with terrified, of course. I have decided that we are going to socialize her and adopt her out. She has allowed me to touch her softly through both the trap and the large dog kennel we used for her set up. She doesn’t move a muscle as long as I am in the room, but she has been eating and using the litter box. So... any advice on socializing an adult who is shy and scared?

Is it pretty on par with kitten socialization? We had a smashing success with the two healthy feral babies we trapped a few months ago using a smaller kennel as a “ social box” and would have them in the office with me when I was working, watching tv, etc. In less than two weeks they were seeking attention and treats. Would this work with an older cat?

Thanks in advance for any advice, and apologies on being long winded.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for saving Frankie. She might not know it yet, but she's hit the lottery.
We just grabbed our third feral, Aimee, right before the "bomb cyclone" hit the Northeast on Jan 5. Every case is different, but my personal experience is that feral/semiferals are better with other cats than they are with people. Do you have any super friendly resident kitties, or kittens, who could break the ice? You'd have to go slowly but it might be a way to show Frankie that you're not going to hurt her & that people really aren't so bad.
We have 12 indoor cats now. Two formerly feral mamas, Hanna and Marlee, came to us with their kittens. The first one, Hanna, spent a couple years in my hub's home office--big bedroom with attached small bathroom. In hindsight, we kept her in there too long. She is friendly and fine with all the other cats. Admittedly it was easier because 4 of them are her kids. I think one day my husband just left the office door open to see what would happen (this is after a couple of our friendly residents had gotten in there a few times, without incident). Hanna moseyed out and nothing happened. There was the occasional hiss, but there must have been so much scent-swapping over time that they all kinda knew each other. After almost 5 years, only my husband can pet her. She's OK at the vet too.
Fast fwd to this past summer. Second mama, Marlee..outgoing, silly, LOUD calico. She stayed in the office maybe a month. She wanted OUT of there and has done great with everyone. It was the same deal though--the friendlies got in the office and there was no strife, so we let her out of the room. I can pet her as long as it's on her terms. She'll put her head down when she's sleepy and I can stroke her cheek. (love).
Latest feral is the shyest of the bunch. This may have been a minor mistake, but if we'd left her out there she prob would have died from cold/exposure. She hides a lot--fits under the radiator. She plays during the night and has relocated her toys, and eats the treats I leave around the room. It's only been 3 weeks though. I'm hopeful.
Let us know how it's going. Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The more I work with her the more I am sure that she was not a feral at all, but a cat that was dumped and has been fending for herself. Slowly throughout the day I first slipped a can of wet food in to no reaction, later she let me give her a few head scratches, still nothing. On my lunch she let me check her incision. She was stiff and scared, but she did not try to lash out at all.

I have to admit I am a bit stumped. She is clearly scared as all get out but reacts to nothing I have done. She is thin, but has a lovely coat on her.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like an owner abandon to me! People are so cruel! Do you have a picture of her?

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
8C6976DA-481D-437D-A63E-340EB5628D5B.jpeg
F805735E-7E6C-4B17-BEB8-595301A4C329.jpeg
Sure do! These are still in the live trap.. when we thought we had a Frank instead of a Frankie.

I have her set up in a large kennel in our bedroom. She is still scared stiff, but she is using the box and eating when I am out of the room. I am thinking of bringing her into the office for a bit today while I am on a call so she can start getting used to the sound of my voice. Poor thing has this sadness about her that calls to something in me. I have to teach her how to love again. Then find her the BEST home. I have a couple of fosters that have gone to older ladies and they are all doing amazing... I think that might be a good place for her. Someone older that will have a quiet household and a ton of time to spend with her.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Funny how they know who to come to isn’t it? They always cross our busy highway, get over our 5 ft fence and up our driveway (400 ft) to cry under our window...amazing!

I think it must be something like when you were trick or treating as a kid and wanted everyone of your friends to know “ this is a good house!” So you marked it in a secret way only your buddies knew.

Something like that!

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Funny how they know who to come to isn’t it? They always cross our busy highway, get over our 5 ft fence and up our driveway (400 ft) to cry under our window...amazing!

I think it must be something like when you were trick or treating as a kid and wanted everyone of your friends to know “ this is a good house!” So you marked it in a secret way only your buddies knew.

Something like that!
Why We Have 12 Cats.

Ceeedge

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This whole adventure started with a neighborhood kitty that decided she lived with me before I decided if I wanted a cat. So I believe this 100%. We are a foster, so we won’t be keeping her here, but after she is good and snuggly we will find her a place. I have moved her covered kennel into the cat room and she is much more relaxed.

She actually broke out of her “jail” and was free in the windowsill when I came in this morning. Both doors were still latched so I think she must have pressed against the door until it gave just enough for her to slip out. I pushed the big door against the wall so I don’t have to scare her by grabbing her and slipping her back in there every morning. She still doesn’t try to bite or scratch, I did get a nasty scratch on my foot... but it was my fault. She was wiggling so much I lost grip and dropped her on my toes. Poor baby didn’t realize she was coming to most uncoordinated foster there ever was. Lol.