Adventures in grocery shopping

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents flight was coming in on Tuesday night I I had some time to burn so I thought I would get in some grocery shopping. Have to continue to stock up on stuff for the holidays. However since it was only 5 degrees I didn't want too much stuff in the Explorer that couldn't handle the cold weather.
1st problem-talking with the checkout chick (thanks Wellington Cats for that phrase
) I mentioned something about this and she mentioned putting the groceries in the trunk-hello its an SUV-no trunk!!
I drive to airport-all the stuff in back is sliding around (beer, milk, hard lemonade!) I park just in time I'm hoping not to have to pay, open back door to get coats out and a bag falls out-yes its the one that has the dozen eggs

I take a peek yes some are broken. Replace in plastic bag and put on floor-grap coats and hook another bag-this time the one with the deli made taco dip and the cover falls off-cheese and olives on the ground and all over. ACKKKKKKKKKK
Quickly shove in bag and run into airport. FLIGHT DELAYED!!!!! I had to wait another 35 minutes-no shop open no book to read!!!!!!!!!
Plane had to de-ice in Detroit. Anyhow get home and since its so cold I leave packages with meat purchases in garage. In the morning I split some meat packages with mom and put back in garage. They leave later. Yesterday afternoon mom calls wondering why I gave them so much meat-Dad grabbed other bags and took home!!!!!
Oh well I am getting that back next week.!!! BTW only three eggs broke-I thought that was pretty good.
Any other interesting shopping adventures????????

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

No adventures from me, I'm trying to control myself more in the supermarket after the $$$ of the last couple of bills!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Any other interesting shopping adventures????????
closest i've had recently was a couple of months ago, when i asked the bagger to put the ice cream in plastic, then paper [double bag]. he looked at me funny, so i explained again what i wanted. then he asked if i wanted the pudding in with the ice cream. i said that was ok if there was room, but it didn't really matter. again, i get a puzzled look - like he still couldn't figure me out. so i explained that pudding didn't melt on the way home like ice cream did. not really much of an adventure, tho!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
haha you poor thing!! i once knocked over two egg boxes and ran to the other side of the store hoping noone would notice

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate when I neatly stack all the cat food in little rows of each flavor, carefully manuver through the store without knocking them over, only to make it up to the counter and the checkout person scan them one by one by one, when they can hit times 4. It would cut down on the wait in line, and ease my frustration!!! Now don't get me wrong every blue moon you run across a checker with a little brain power, but most of them are zombies.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had cardboard boxes of diet coke break open while carrying them, as cans drop on the ground and roll everywhere. Sometimes they get a hole puntured in them, and coke gets sprayed everywhere!

I had the can situation at Petsmart last week. We got a girl that was not a normal checker, obviously. First she does every can, can by can. Then we put some cat litter on the counter, somehow either her or hubby move it so it was not balanced and it fall this close to my foot (27 pound tub). Luckily it didn't break. Then I present her with 5 dollar off coupon i got in the mail, she was confounded and had to ask the manager. Then we finally get the heck out, I look at the reciept, and she charged me for an extra bag of cat food. I have to go back in and get the manager's attention! If it was just a can of food I wouldn't care, but we are talking a 9 buck difference!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
One of the strangest grocery experiences I ever had was when the bagger chastised me for buying eggs, but not buying bread. I was told that "everyone" buys the two together and he has to bag the two together. He had no idea how to bag my eggs without bread.

lndscpsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

One of the strangest grocery experiences I ever had was when the bagger chastised me for buying eggs, but not buying bread. I was told that "everyone" buys the two together and he has to bag the two together. He had no idea how to bag my eggs without bread.
And that explains WHY he is working as a bagger and not in corporate america!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just navigating through the hordes of badly-behaved children and their equally rude parents, is bad enough.

Naturally, there is always the 400-lb person parked squarely in the middle of the aisle, mulling over the munchie selection. If one politely, says "excuse me", this person shoots you a dirty look, as if to say, "How DARE you interrupt my religious experience!"

At the checkout, there is always the 100-year-old woman, who has to count out pennies and THEN go over her 50-item receipt, item by item, questioning the price of at least half of them.

Its enough, to make me want to start eating out, all of the time.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

I just don't know how I'd respond to that! I'd try to be polite, but OMG is it hard to be sometimes in the supermarket! Everyone seems so stressed (me too).

katl8e : that's why I LOVE the self-serve scanners! I always use these!

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...talking with the checkout chick (thanks Wellington Cats for that phrase )
I was a cashier for a few years, and we all called ourselves the checkout chicks. This was in the 1970s.

This also means that I am very very picky about the way groceries are packed. My pet peeve is when they can only put two items in a bag. I usually just pack them all myself. And I always put egg cartons on their end, packed well with other large items that will keep the carton closed. That's the way I was taught, and it works. I HATE the people who take the carton, put it flat in the bottom of an empty bag, then try to find one more item, really light, to sit on top.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry guys everyones got to start somewhere!

Sometimes it is easier to just scan cans one by one because sometimes when you are carrying them over to the trolley they can scan by accident and that's a hassle calling for the manager to come cancel last.

percysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well the adventure wasn't at the store but..
I did my shopping kids were asking for candy at checkout, didn't watch bagger and when I got home and took out the 5 lb. bag of flour. IT BROKE OPEN all over my kitchen. yuck.
They had bagged it with the milk and the condensation wet the bag. It was a small grocery store in Virginia, family run. so I called the owner, explained the problem. She said her grandson would be in big trouble and he wouls replace the flour, I said I don't care about the flour who is going to clean up the mess?
Her grandson was at my door in 10 minutes to do it. I love small towns.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only adventure I have is the time last spring when I was bringing groceries inside from the car. I brought in the first couple of bags and set them and the car/house keys down on the kitchen table and then went outside to get more grocery bags. Unfortunately, the door locked behind me and I couldn't get back inside!
Thank goodness for husbands who can leave work to go home for a few minutes!

This isn't an adventure, but I live in Minnesota, and even now when it's winter the store is still air-conditioned. I almost freeze to death every time I have to buy groceries.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most of the time, I use the self-checkout but, I always seem to wind up behind the dimwit, who can't follow simple directions.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have checkout issues.,.. but it is with the person behind me that while I am trying to write the check is hovvering less than 18 inches from me... GIVE me MY space