Advantage Side Effects?

jacquisun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone out there experienced any side effects from using Advantage? Specifically any behavior changes? If so, how soon and what type? SEcondly, has anyone experienced any kind of other physical side effects--such as the cold symptoms/sneezing I posted under "do cats get colds".

My cats range from 8 lbs. to 13 lbs. 8, 9, 9, 9, 9, 11, & 13 lbs to be more specific. The vet gave us Advantage for 9lbs. and over. Each kitty got one tube a week ago Friday. All seemed perfectly fine the day we went to visit relatives on the following Tues. Now 3 are fighting (see behavior posting)--one is sneezing, another's appetite changed today. Coincidence?

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used advantage on Max and he got very angry and foamed at the mouth. Vet switched him to Frontline and haven't had a problem since.

kiaira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use it on my animals and I haven't had any problems thus far. We also use Advantage on the majority of our client's pets and I havenâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t heard of it resulting in any medical problems. However, I know we don't use it on nursing animals or animals younger than 8 weeks of age. We also donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t use it on sick pets depending on what (or how severe) the illness is, so my experiences are only based off of when it's applied on healthy and old enough animals. One thing we do come across with topical flea products is drooling/foaming at the mouth which occurs when a pet licks the spot where it was applied (it tastes bad).
Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m thinking what your catâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s are experiencing is unrelated (sounds like one may be developing an URI etc.); however, your cats should be seen either way in order to make an appropriate diagnosis and provide necessary treatments. Please let us know what he/she says in regards to how they're doing and whether it's possible it's related to the application of Advantage. Good luck!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen some very bad reactions to both frontline and advantage. The worst was the cat whose fur started falling out pretty much instantly after being treated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jacquisun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long after the application did the angry reaction occur, and how long did it last.

Tomorrow the attackee is going to the vet for both a check up and for me to talk to the vet about the entire situation. After that, I will be taking the rest a couple at a time (or as the vet advises).

Thank you so much for your experiences--I will write back with vets input etc.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Within a few hours I noticed he was having problems... and Max is ordinarily a super sweet lap cat. The instant he swatted at his sister (cleo) I knew something was wrong. The two are usually inseperable.

The foaming itself lasted for the better part of two days. The anger lasted, I'd say about a week and a half to two weeks.

At the time Max was about a year and a half old and was in good health, so I think that particular medicine just didn't agree with him. Maybe an allergy? Not sure, I just know he didn't have the same problem with frontline.

kiaira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

At the time Max was about a year and a half old and was in good health, so I think that particular medicine just didn't agree with him. Maybe an allergy? Not sure, I just know he didn't have the same problem with frontline.
Yeah, I just looked online for some information and some sites stated that although it's rare, allergic reactions/sensitivities have occurred due to using Advantage etc. I shouldn't be surprised...even some of the safest products (or so you think) can cause problems in some individuals.
I personally haven't come across that with Advantage (thankfully), and I'm glad all is well with your kitty now.

Jacquisus, if it's a reaction (or something else) I hope your kitties' make out well and I will keep them in my thoughts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jacquisun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
WEll, if in fact my kitties are experiencing a result from Advantage, the week ot two weeks you mentioned fits. In a way I almost hope this turns out to be the case (with no long term serious problems of course!) because then in about 5 days all will go back to normal here!? 2 of my seven just seem so much more agressive than before . . .
Thank you for the well wishes Kaira

Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

Within a few hours I noticed he was having problems... and Max is ordinarily a super sweet lap cat. The instant he swatted at his sister (cleo) I knew something was wrong. The two are usually inseperable.

The foaming itself lasted for the better part of two days. The anger lasted, I'd say about a week and a half to two weeks.

keycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't given my cat any chemical preventative in 2years. Thankfully, we haven't had a need for it. Recently I had to let my big boy go[emoji]128546[/emoji] (great Dane). Just my luck, I brought home mites from the vet. Since the mites were getting onto my body and my husbands we decided to give her advantage two. She is less than ten lbs so I got the appropriate pack and didn't apply the whole application at all. She squinted for the first hour and went from rambunctious to calm. Its been years since she has had a need for treatment so naturally I was nervous. We lucked out. I found these forums during her squinting episode and my over anilization of her. Happy I did, now I'll think again when her application is due. I found a wonderful natural remedy that was working but since the mites were effecting myself and husband so horribly we caved. Look it up!- hydrogen peroxide, mule 20 borax and water. (Teds remedy) or olive oil, sea salt and peroxide. Both are natural and effective. Saving money, your pets and your sanity.