Advantage Plus Flea Control

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fleas have come in through the windows and I got some Advantage Plus from the vet. Considering that it is "moderately toxic" I'm feeling anxious about using it. I'm asking for no-toxic-effects vibes and also for experiences of everyone who has used this product.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not heard of advantage plus, do you mean advantage multi? I have not used advantage multi but have used frontline plus with no problems, even on an elderly cat.

One hint. Apply the topical at a time when you can be home to observe kitty, and when your vet office is open, just in case you have any concerns, you want to be able to call them.

Be sure you are using a product specifically for cats, and follow the directions on the box.

Kneel on the floor and hold kitty between your knees, facing out. Place the product high up between the shoulder blades, harder for kitty to reach and lick.

if kitty licks she may foam at the mouth a bit. the treated area may appear greasy for a day or so.

fisheater

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've used Advantage consistently since 2004 on my feral indoor/outdoor kitty and have nothing but good things to say about it. It has kept her (and our home) flea free since we've had this kitty. We just used regular Advantage though, never heard of Advantage Plus.

As Otto already said, it does leave the fur greasy for about a day where the liquid was applied. I just avoid petting that spot for a day. But other than that I have no complaints about this product.

When applying I put it on the high part of the neck where kitty can't reach it. You do not want kitty to lick it. I part her fur so a thin line of skin shows, and then I put the Advantage on and rub it in a little. She always shakes her fur off when we're done and rubbing it in helps keep her from shaking off all the liquid I just applied.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only used regular Advantage, too. Make 100% sure you have the right product cause some have had people goof up at the vet and hand them the wrong thing. (one person was even given Advantix - dog flea treatment)

The instructions are actually a tad misleading. They tell you to apply to the back of the neck on a cat - this is a bad idea because cats can actually reach it. With flea drop treatments on cats you put them higher - at the very base of their skull. It's one of the few places a cat can't directly lick.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think I may be the only person who has had a bad experience with Advantage. I used it on my stray Sony when I first picked him up and he developed a rash at the site and his whole coat became oily and smelled awful. I bathed him twice before I could get the smell out, and the site scabbed over. What scared me the most was the twitching. His whole body was trembling for a few hours after he had the reaction. Otherwise he was OK, eating and drinking fine, but since then I have used Revolution on all my cats even though my vet prefers Advantage usually. I told her I could use Revolution just on Sony, and the rest could use Advantage but she said it was best to use the same kind on all.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sohni

I think I may be the only person who has had a bad experience with Advantage.
No, years ago my cat Sho had a mild reaction to it. He got lethargic and had some fur loss where the Advantage was applied. I only used Revolution on him after that until recently. Last year I used one tube of Advantage on him without any problems.
They're all pesticides and have their risks - it's best that no one ever forgets that.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Make sure it is for cats. I am not sure but I think Advantage is based upon the weight of the cat too. Maybe someone else knows this for sure and can tell you. Also, if you have never used it on your cats, be sure to do it at a time when you are going to be home with them, and when the vet office is going to be open.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what I use for Hope and Bugsy, the later allergic to Revolution... It is quite oily, but besides that no problem at all... Hope actually licked a little bit off the last time I applied, and she did not have any problems...

I do apply this one even higher than Revolution, as it feels like a bigger volume for some reason, and it sticks to the fur a little more also, instead of evaporating like Revolution does...

IMO this is a great product if you are looking for an all in one type of product - fleas, heartworm and parasites... I Like Revolution better because of how it is not oily and it doesn't stick to the fur... But beside that... Love Having Advantage Multi for my allergic kitty!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will say First i do not live in a area with heartworm or high levels of fleas and ticks ... I do Not use any RX or Non Rx heavy duty grade insecticides I have found much safer methods of pest control

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I will say First i do not live in a area with heartworm or high levels of fleas and ticks ... I do Not use any RX or Non Rx heavy duty grade insecticides I have found much safer methods of pest control
Yeah... you do not live in Dallas!

Man, I let Bugsy and hope out for about 10 minutes to experienced the SNOW, yep, the SNOW!!!! Thinking they would be fine........ Next thing I know, a couple of weeks later, I am grooming miss Lucky with a flea comb, there it is, a darn flea!

Thank goodness I had a last dose of Revolution for her, and one of Adv. Multi for each of the white kids... But gee... on the snow, below freezing temps, really??? P-l-e-a-s-e!
I did not find any other flea, on her, or in the others...
They are inside only, but as you can see, in Dallas, if I want to take them out AT ALL, they need to be treated before, which I don't like for several reasons...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

A safer method is what I'd really love to find! I read the package insert and decided there's no way I'm putting Advantage Multi on my kitties. Please post some info on safer methods or send me a PM.

seahlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've used garlic water on kitten's bellies and then gently combed their heads and backs, etc.  That's about all I could comb.  It's not a perfect solution, but it helps.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used garlic water on kitten's bellies and then gently combed their heads and backs, etc.  That's about all I could comb.  It's not a perfect solution, but it helps.
Hi and welcome to TCS!

Garlic is toxic to cats. What you put on a cat will end up inside the cat because they wash. I would suggest you not put any more garlic water on your kitten, or s/he may end up with anemia.