Advantage II or Revolution?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I talked to a lady at our local pet store yesterday. She said that Advantage II works here. It's for sale at the pet store. I still plan to call the vet, I didn't get it to today.

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
it stops the itching and scratching instantly ... we dont have fleas in the house or anything but i do believe that my cats have hot spots though

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's good. Will I have to keep them treated? Ouch! Are the hot spots from the biting and scratching?

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hm, I guess it isn't from fleas then. I don't really want to treat them monthly or every three months. I hope I can get rid of them with three doses at most.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't entirely get rid of the fleas, but Feeby never has hot spots. Depending on what state you live in, you will need to treat most of the year - at least all the time until winter, and then start again in spring. Down here in FL, people need to treat year 'round.

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve used both, and both worked fine! I like that Advantage II is OTC and sort of cheaper than Revolution. Last year I bought Advantage for the first time, and sat on it for a a few months, worried because it’s an OTC product. I’ve read horror stories online with regards to OTC flea treatments so that didn’t help my anxieties.

After seeing some positive feedback from TCS members here, I bit the bullet and used it on Juli. It worked! Like fleas were gone in just a day or so.

Now that I found a good vet, I’m thinking of going back to Revolution mainly because it offers protection from other parasites too.

Last edited:

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't entirely get rid of the fleas, but Feeby never has hot spots. Depending on what state you live in, you will need to treat most of the year - at least all the time until winter, and then start again in spring. Down here in FL, people need to treat year 'round.
Yay. That sounds like fun. I hope I don't have to. I'mma call the vet. I didn't get around to it yesterday. Maybe I can today.
I’ve used both, and both worked fine! I like that Advantage II is OTC and sort of cheaper than Revolution. Last year I bought Advantage for the first time, and sat on it for a a few months, worried because it’s an OTC product. I’ve read horror stories online with regards to OTC flea treatments so that didn’t help my anxieties.

After seeing some positive feedback from TCS members here, I bit the bullet and used it on Juli. It worked! Like fleas were gone in just a day or so.

Now that I found a good vet, I’m thinking of going back to Revolution mainly because it offers protection from other parasites too.
I'm glad that it worked! All of the fleas were gone? Eggs and larvae, too?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is very dependent on where you live and other conditions which apply to your circumstances, but my vet told me not to use any of the flea preparations if they are not needed which around here would be in the colder months. They are all chemicals and if they are not needed it is one less substance for the cat's body to deal with.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just wanted to add, Revolution is a very safe treatment option and does cover more then Advantage in terms of pests. It's the one we use on my rabbit, since it is the only one safe for rabbits. According to my vet, it's also the only one safe for pregnant women to apply too.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awesome!!!
This is very dependent on where you live and other conditions which apply to your circumstances, but my vet told me not to use any of the flea preparations if they are not needed which around here would be in the colder months. They are all chemicals and if they are not needed it is one less substance for the cat's body to deal with.
Yeah, definitely. That's why I hope it can get rid of them.
Just wanted to add, Revolution is a very safe treatment option and does cover more then Advantage in terms of pests. It's the one we use on my rabbit, since it is the only one safe for rabbits. According to my vet, it's also the only one safe for pregnant women to apply too.
Hmm, interesting.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I ordered Advantage II for small cats. The product description says this: Do not apply on cats or kittens under 8 weeks of age or weighing less than 5 lbs. An 8 week old kitten can't possibly be 5 lbs. My kitten is almost nine weeks old and a little over 2 lbs. Should I just get Advantage II for kittens or will it be okay?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Btw, if you already purchased the small cat one - you can keep it for when your kitten gets over 5 lbs, and go ahead and get the kitten one for now; that is if money is not an issue. As far as I know, they really do not have an expiration date.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All of them state that a cat must be at least 8 weeks old. The kitten one covers cats anywhere from 2lbs to 5lbs. The next level up is 5lbs to 9lbs. So, yes, use the kitten one.
Okay, thank you very much. That's what I was thinking but just wanted to be sure.
Btw, if you already purchased the small cat one - you can keep it for when your kitten gets over 5 lbs, and go ahead and get the kitten one for now; that is if money is not an issue. As far as I know, they really do not have an expiration date.
No, it's no issue. I'll order the kitten version in just a minute. Thank you!

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always use the Revolution plus for my cats. I really like it. It is a little more expensive, but like the others have said, it convers more than just fleas and ticks.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for replying! I don't think they'll need protection from other parasites. I'm gonna try Advantage II and see what happens.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only reason I chose the revolution plus this time is because I have a cat that has been on the loose for the last 39 days and I don’t know what she has come in contact with. I want to protect both cats.