Advantage II or Revolution?

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am not sure which flea treatment I should use for my two adult outdoor cats. Which treatment have y'all had a good experience with?

Thanks in advance!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you call your vet? Some areas have fleas that are resistant to specific treatments, so it’s something to check with them about.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I was told that Advantage was not working well in my area and fleas were resistant to it, so I switched to Revolution. One cat had a reaction to it (skin bumps, not a fatal reaction) so I use Advantage on her regardless. I have not used Revolution Plus yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you know why it wasn't working well? What does it do for the cat that you are still using it on? Thank you for replying! I think I am leaning towards Advantage. I called the vet twice and it went to voicemail. I'll try again tomorrow.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I used Advantage on my indoor only cats and three ended up with tapeworms. My house has no carpeting or drapery and there were no visible fleas, cats are brushed daily, etc. The vet told me that in this area there appears to be resistance to it on the part of fleas. However the cat who cannot use Revolution but still uses Advantage never got tapeworms. Go figure!

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used Advantage on my indoor only cats and three ended up with tapeworms. My house has no carpeting or drapery and there were no visible fleas, cats are brushed daily, etc. The vet told me that in this area there appears to be resistance to it on the part of fleas. However the cat who cannot use Revolution but still uses Advantage never got tapeworms. Go figure!
Oh! I’ve been using Advantage II on my Juli, who is indoors mostly but goes in my backyard too. I mean, so far I haven’t seen fleas on her. She did get fleas last year but once I used advantage ii they were gone. Should I be concerned about tapeworms?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Fleas can sneak in the house in various ways, including on clothing. I suspected that the source of my problem was potting soil in which I suddenly saw a few fleas. Unfortunately, I had used it for the cat grass I plant for them. To be honest, I have not had huge tapeworm issues in my life with cats and I don't think you should worry about them if you are controlling fleas.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So they got tapeworm even while on Advantage? Huh, that's strange.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh! I’ve been using Advantage II on my Juli, who is indoors mostly but goes in my backyard too. I mean, so far I haven’t seen fleas on her. She did get fleas last year but once I used advantage ii they were gone. Should I be concerned about tapeworms?
In no way shape or form do I want to jinx Feeby, but even though Advantage II will not entirely eradicate her fleas, she has not had any bouts of tapeworms. I suspect some of that might have to do with Feeby being an indoor only cat (other than a screened in patio she spends time on). But, if Advantage II is working on your cat the way it is intended to, the chances for tapeworms are greatly reduced.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just called the vet. The lady wasn't very helpful (no offense). I asked her what flea treatment is the most effective here. Didn't really get a straight answer. She was trying to get me to get pills instead of drops. I would prefer drops. What should I do now?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you know what pills she is talking about? Did you ask why pills instead of drops? You need the answers to those questions. Don't know who the lady is that you talked to, but if it wasn't your vet, call back again and request to talk directly to your vet.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She named a couple of brands. I couldn't really understand her. I feel uncomfortable to ask someone to repeat themselves. I didn't ask that. Oops. She was reception. Next time I'll ask for my vet. Hopefully, he isn't too busy. Thanks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Next time I'll ask for my vet. Hopefully, he isn't too busy. Thanks.
You know what? After 40 years of taking care of cats, I know my cat and I are the vet's client - not the other way around. Don't be afraid to assert yourself. If you are afraid, for fear of losing that vet, then that is not the vet for you - or anyone else for that matter!! Never feel intimated by a receptionist, or a vet!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when considering a brand of Flea treatment or anything, google name of product reviews and complaints. It will give you some anecdotal information, which may be all there is, and sometimes some surprising stuff turns up. Remember it takes a lot of complaints to get any company to take action.

We use Advantage for the cat and the dog.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You know what? After 40 years of taking care of cats, I know my cat and I are the vet's client - not the other way around. Don't be afraid to assert yourself. If you are afraid, for fear of losing that vet, then that is not the vet for you - or anyone else for that matter!! Never feel intimated by a receptionist, or a vet!
Wow, okay. Thank you. I'll call again tomorrow. Thanks!

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aw, thank you!!! I plan to call Monday. I'll let you know what he says.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply! It works well in Michigan? If my vet says that it is effective here, I plan to get it for my adult cats. I have heard good things about Advantage II.