advantage ii for kittens. is it normal for her fur to look wet? and when would symptoms appear if she had licked some by accident?

koo1kat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I applied advantage II for kitten today to my 4-month-old kitten for flea prevention.(it was my first time doing it). I tried to apply it on her skin but her hair wouldn't part nicely and I might have gotten some on her fur. After applying, a big patch on the back of her neck began to look wet as if the medicine was spreading(is that normal?), and she tried to lick there (she can't reach the area where I applied it but can reach the area where the wetness(?) spread) and had a disgusted look. She also scratched that area with her back paws. I got worried that she might lick the medicine so wiped the fur where her tongue could reach and also her back paws. I don't care now if the medicine works or not. I am just worried she might have licked it a lot before I saw it. she's not showing any particular symptoms except that look of disgust when I saw her licking the fur nearby. Oh, also she was smacking her lips a lot, but I don't know if that's because she licked the medicine or it's from the treat I was giving her while applying the flea treatment to keep her still. It's been 3~4 hours.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
It sounds like you did get some on her fur.

Keep watching her, vomiting would be an indication of possible trouble.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have had cats lick the area where the topical has dribbled down, and the worst I remember seeing was some low key foaming at the mouth with no problems beyond that. Their sense of smell usually drives them away from licking that area but sometimes they can't help themselves. IIRC these topicals absorb into the blood stream and should start working almost immediately so if you wiped off her fur and paws to keep her from ingesting any residue, this shouldn't prevent it from working. :) If you have concerns or she shows signs that she isn't feeling good, you can always call your vet and ask them as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

koo1kat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had cats lick the area where the topical has dribbled down, and the worst I remember seeing was some low key foaming at the mouth with no problems beyond that. Their sense of smell usually drives them away from licking that area but sometimes they can't help themselves. IIRC these topicals absorb into the blood stream and should start working almost immediately so if you wiped off her fur and paws to keep her from ingesting any residue, this shouldn't prevent it from working. :) If you have concerns or she shows signs that she isn't feeling good, you can always call your vet and ask them as well.
Thank you for your thorough reply. I'm a first-time kitten mom and freaking out over everything. I shall watch her closely for a few days. thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

koo1kat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You're welcome - how are things?
She's doing great! thank you for checking! I guess I got worried over nothing, but I can't help it:nervous: She's my first pet, and none of my friends have cats, so I'll probably be asking a lot of questions here. lol. Thanks again!

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fleas and worms are more detrimental to a cat’s health than the side effects of the medication. The coat around the area of applications will look wet for awhile. What I do is let the medication dry for a day or two, then brush out the area during her daily brushing. The coat will soon return to its normal look and feel.

Cats need to be brushed everyday. It keeps their skin healthy and cuts down how much fur your cat ingests during grooming. It also reduces the allergens your cat produces.

Your cat may not like being brushed, but if you make it part of her daily routine, she’ll soon come to accept it. I brush and play with Belle every morning before her breakfast. She used to hate it, but now likes it because she knows she’ll get to eat afterwards.

She’s your first pet? Boy, are you gonna be in for a few surprises! Pay attention to her but don’t constantly hover over her like a typical Helicopter Parent. You’ll be fine. We’ll be here to help and share in your joys and agonies to come.

Welcome to the forum.