Advantage Ii For Cats/dogs -- Difference?

david68

TCS Member
Thread starter
Adult Cat
Joined
Oct 15, 2014
Messages
132
Reaction score
67
I did some careful research and concluded, based on everything that I could find, that Advantage II for cats and dogs was the same product, simply in larger tubes for dogs, and because I have four cats, it seemed like I could buy a large dog dose and divide it up into normal cat doses with a syringe, which I did. All of my cats are fine. None of them had any reaction to it.

Later I noticed warnings on the package that it was not to be used on cats, even though the ingredients listed are exactly the same, in the same concentrations. Does anyone know if there is any difference in the Advantage II formulation for cats and dogs, or is that simply a marketing thing to prevent people from doing exactly what I did?

Before anyone freaks out, I know that Advantix can be deadly to cats. I repeat, I know that Advantix can be deadly to cats. This is Advantage II, not Advantix.
 

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Jun 13, 2018
Messages
7,497
Reaction score
9,444
Location
Central FL (Born in OH)
I have heard it is OK. The only thing I would want to know is what is in the "Other Ingredients" which is 99.4% of the product. Or, at least that is the way the packaging was marked last I bought Advantage II.

If none of the other 99.4% of the ingredients is different from the dog product and the cat product, the warning is likely to be related to protecting themselves from lawsuits and/or bad press, should a pet owner make a mistake and use the entire tube for a dog on a cat at one time.
 

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Alpha Cat
Joined
Dec 27, 2018
Messages
883
Reaction score
1,151
One thing to look out for in vet medicine vs human is that vet ones are usually not ‘scored’ meaning if you divided that dose into 4, one part could have 90% of the ingredient the kitties need while the other 3 have only 10%. This is the only reason I can think of that warning.

This would apply I think only for pills (prob a cream too?). With liquid/powder I am guessing shaking it would fix this? Maybe for a cream as well.
 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Mar 1, 2009
Messages
24,112
Reaction score
15,066
Location
South Dakota
I've done that too. With the current formulation it's fine. Do check the label every time before use just to make sure they haven't changed it.
 

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
48
Reaction score
17
Location
Everett,Wa
They just put the “do not use on cats” on the label recently. Probably because they knew people were buying the large dog and splitting into doses for their cats. That is what I do for my three kitties. It works great. My vet is actually the one who told me I could do this, because I expressed a need for cheaper spot on treatment but I love how Advantage works so well.
 

fionasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Joined
Jun 21, 2014
Messages
985
Reaction score
1,530
Location
Los Angeles
My vet also told me to do this, and then, like nujay nujay , I noticed that a warning appeared about a year later. I think it is a marketing strategy as well. I always underapplied a little bit to make sure that I did not overdose a cat. All of mine are indoor only and fleas have not been a problem.
 

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Dec 27, 2001
Messages
8,095
Reaction score
2,576
Location
Hudson, OH
I always have done this, I buy large dog Revolution and use it on my cats dosed down of course. Everyone I know at work and in my cat world does this. I used to do it with Frontline but Frontline just doesn't work anymore and no one really sells it.
 

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Dec 29, 2015
Messages
1,644
Reaction score
4,791
D david68 , now continue with your research (Advecta II for dogs).
The dosage I come up with is .1 ml per lb (.1 cc per lb for syringe)
 

Latest Posts

Top