Advantage, Frontline, Revolution ?

zippa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Revolution only kills adult fleas and prevents eggs from hatching, according to the enclosed pamphlet. So you have to wait until any larvae in the environment develop into adult fleas and bite your pet before those fleas die. I wish I knew this before I used Revolution on all my three cats. First I used Advantage and that simply does not work any more. Seems fleas are immune now. So vet said it was ok to use Revolution a few days later. But one week later I still have fleas on my cats and don't feel it is safe to use another product until a month has passed. This is a drag.

nekohugger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What will be your next choice? I was looking into advsntage because my Mellow has bad reactions to Revolution but id like to know of other options.

lillypie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet strictly recommends Revolution for my kitty due to it killing heart worm as well as all the other buggers. I haven't seemed to notice any fleas this year, thank goodness. Do you all treat your kitties monthly for fleas? 

chrispidoll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
revolution nearly killed my adult fedmale cat...its WAY to strong, I DO NOT ADVISE USING IT EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mrsty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Frontline on my indoor/outdoor cat every year for the season here April - October. She has never had fleas, but she does get ticks. It is supposed to last for 4 weeks for ticks and 6 weeks for fleas. At 4 weeks she will have a tick on her so I do it monthly, regularly. I only get it from my vet, who always includes 2 extra doses in addition to the 6 dose pack reducing the cost per treatment. It's expensive but it works and I've never seen it "burn" her like some of the cheaper stuff might do sold in the pet stores. Have never tried the others.

rexinminn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Frontline plus is also a good effective flea treatment as it also kills all life stages, breaking the life cycle of the flea, and kills ticks, but does not protect against heart worm and other parasites. It is safe to use on any cat 8 weeks old and older, and cats with compromised immune systems due to illness.
NOT TRUE.

Our cat, Peanut, who was three when we properly administered Frontline to the spot behind her shoulder blades 8 years ago, suffered a major allergic reaction which compromised her pancreas. The vet told us she wouldn't live long. She's done great, although she has bowel issues, but we think she's going to be OK. We will never use ANYTHING remotely resembling a product like this again. I don't know where the person above says it is safe, because it is not safe. NOT safe. In fact, it's quite dangerous and will also do a real number on your cat's gut microflora. If you choose to use this, make sure you have an immediate recourse in the event your pet starts showing any type of reaction at all.

Rex Hamann

Andover, MN

mrsty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The key thing you said was "allergic reaction"....cats just like people get reactions to medications. It's good that you noticed it and I hope reported it to your vet and the manufacturer immediately. My cats have all had injections for infections before of the antibiotic Convenia, aptly named for the convenience of not having to give your cat daily pills or transdermals for infections. Out of the blue my senior cat (15 years old) had a reaction of tremors or mini-seizures after an injection for UTI.... And I reported it to my vet, the manufacturer, and the FDA. Maybe it was just because she's gotten too old, even our bodies change as we age, or maybe there is something dangerous about the drug. But considering she'd had it before without issue it's hard to say. The problem with Convenia, the time-release antibiotic is active in their systems for 2 weeks, but the other "inactive" ingredients are in their systems for 6 weeks or more and you cannot do anything about it. My cat is finally getting through this but a more severe reaction would have been extremely dangerous if not deadly. Once you've had a bad experience it's easy to say never again, and in our kittys' case that is the best thing to do. Always report bad reactions to drugs, otherwise they don't know. Don't leave it up to your vet.

rexinminn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that, words of wisdom to live by, no doubt. I'm wondering if you are giving your cat, the one that gets the convenia, a probiotic of any sort, or whether you've thought about it because of the way the antibiotic will be affecting her/his intestinal flora. Thanks again for your post.

alima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My oldest used to have frontline but then ended up with major reactions and now has to have vet prescribed only.
My youngest is trying Bob Martin now.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Frontline plus is also a good effective flea treatment as it also kills all life stages, breaking the life cycle of the flea, and kills ticks, but does not protect against heart worm and other parasites. It is safe to use on any cat 8 weeks old and older, and cats with compromised immune systems due to illness.
NOT TRUE.

Our cat, Peanut, who was three when we properly administered Frontline to the spot behind her shoulder blades 8 years ago, suffered a major allergic reaction which compromised her pancreas. The vet told us she wouldn't live long. She's done great, although she has bowel issues, but we think she's going to be OK. We will never use ANYTHING remotely resembling a product like this again. I don't know where the person above says it is safe, because it is not safe. NOT safe. In fact, it's quite dangerous and will also do a real number on your cat's gut microflora. If you choose to use this, make sure you have an immediate recourse in the event your pet starts showing any type of reaction at all.

Rex Hamann
Andover, MN
Any product comes with risks, One can't predict if a cat is going to have a rare reaction. Millions use it with no reactions. I do not use these poisons on my cats, I have no need of it. But generally speaking, Frontline plus is about as safe as you can get, when you're talking about putting poisons on your cat.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My oldest used to have frontline but then ended up with major reactions and now has to have vet prescribed only.
My youngest is trying Bob Martin now.
Bob Martin kills cats. Please do not use any of those grocery store type products. Bob Martin, Haartz, Seargents, Adams, the names of the others escape me at the moment, but they are not effective at all, and they are all deadly.

Last edited:

alima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I couldn't find any which are three monthly droplets not tablets. Where do you get yours? Online? I can't get to store. I can only find Bob Martin everywhere online for uk shipping.
Thank you

Last edited:

mrsty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I did find some probiotic treats she was willing to eat. I gave them to her until she finished the bag up and I think she's good. Her bowels have been acting very normally, especially since I changed her food to a different protein. She now gets duck and turkey/lamb canned cat food. Not a great brand but she eats it which is the most important thing. She is also been diagnosed CKD and I think she has some IBD going on too and this changing the protein has really helped a lot.

rexinminn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing that. We've noticed that both our girls prefer a poultry, and they snarf it up  most of the time. Could you tell us which brand it is? Not sure about this but I think variety is a good thing, for people, for sure, but also for cats, as long as it's still meat they're eating. And if you could tell us which brand of treats you're feeding your kitty, that would be awesome, thank you so much!

mrsty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The probiotic treat I was able to get her to eat was by Pet Naturals of Vermont, called Daily Digest. The duck and turkey/lamb cat food is Nutro Max Cat Chunks in Sauce. I think they have a chicken and some fish also. It is available in my local Petsmart, but I generally buy most anything I need for the cats from Chewy.com. I've found they have the best prices. But you have to get a full case of any flavor so I buy a couple cans from pet stores first. Obviously cats will try and fool you too...they seem to like something and as soon as you buy a case they won't eat it. Chewy was great about that and gave me a credit on my account but asked that I donate the food to the local shelter, which I did. I have searched all over the web to find lists of what the "best quality" canned cat foods are and tried to find samples in high end pet stores in my area but my cats will not eat any of it. I made the mistake of getting them on Fancy Feast when they were young and it has caused them nothing but physical issues but they will not eat much of anything else. So I was happy that they are willing to eat the Max Cat at least. I only give them a small amount of dry food occassionally, Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Duck. All 4 of them seem to love it.

mrsty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try the website Chewy.com and see if they ship to UK....I've heard that it's a spinoff of Amazon.com so I think they ship anywhere.

meandcaptinmeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh I love Chewy.com! They treat the customers so personally. (Hand-written postcards!) And it seems like they actually care about the animals.

I used Revolution for my cat (with no problems at all). Except I wish I didn't have to pay a $300 extortion fee to get a permission slip (vet fee for a prescription), to then be ALLOWED to pay the $45 it costs to buy the medicine. Really. Australia and Canada don't require this (and maybe other countries, idk), but the U.S. does. I had to pay $345 for a pack of worm medicine. *frown*

I mean I suppose someone could screw up the instructions and harm the cat using the stuff, but...I didn't see how! Just put it between his shoulder blades, three times, per the instructions exactly, and no more, and it's done. I loved the ease of that. It was the easiest thing I've had to administer (Oh yea , well he needed eye drops one time..and the vet gave me OINTMENT. She expected me to stick my finger on his eyeball! (yea that wont be dangerous at all, when he jerks his head and scrambles around with my fingernail on his eye, and he wont mind that a bit, of course!
).

So..she charged $20 for this tiny tube of useless ointment (plus the extortion fee, for the permission slip), and when I read up on this ointment, it was bacitracin!!!!! Nothing more. It was PRECISELY the same as what I get for a buck at the Dollar Store! to use on human cuts. I called her and pointed all this out, and -after much debate on her part, she gave (HA! sold....) me some drops. And you know what? I only managed to trick him twice with how I wasn't preparing to do anything to his eyeball, and after that he'd just run if he saw me coming. *sigh* He's no dummy! Anyway, administering medicinal needs to the cat..not my favorite thing. But the Revolution for cats was simple, no fuss, no argument, and it handled worms plus other worms, fleas, and ear mites. Good stuff!

My job is uh...uh... ok, I don't have a job.
But you better, because I need stuff, human!

Last edited:

cindy san diego

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but why are you paying '$300 extortion fee' in order to get a prescription for Revolution?  It's available on multiple internet sites - 3 months for about $45.  Again, maybe I'm missing something?

Regards!