Adult teeth growing in next to baby teeth

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I recently took my five month old kitten to the vet and he told me that her adult upper canines are growing in alongside her baby canines. Apparently, this can resolve on it's own, but there is a chance that she could lose both the adult and baby teeth. Obviously, this is something I would prefer to prevent if possible. I will ask about it again when I take her in for a booster shot on November 7th, but is there anything I should be watching for in the mean time? Could she be in any pain? I've attached a picture (which unfortunately isn't great because she was squirming, but you can still see the baby and adult canine next to each other) to give an idea of what this looks like.
IMG_0800.jpeg

Georgy Girl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! This is TOTALLY normal. Don’t let the vet scare you, as some of them will tell you they have to extract the baby tooth; and will charge you a ton of money to do it. Georgy is 7 months old now, and her adult canine teeth began erupting in August, just before she turned 5 months old. The lower ones were first. For all four canines, the adult tooth grew alongside the baby—exactly like your picture. Within about a week, the adult pushes the baby tooth out. I was lucky enough to find one, because she lost it while we were playing.

Attachments

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi ColoradoCat ColoradoCat !

Magnus had double fangs for a few months as well! He also had double teeth at the back.
They fell out normally, we just provided many things for him to chew.

It won't likely be an emergency even if they do stay. Since you can't brush your cat's teeth yet, you can begin to use a q-tip to gently get him used to having this done. You just want to let him chew it and to rub gently at the gump line. Use one with cardboard and not plastic in the middle.

Luvyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is very normal, my kitten also had double canines for a while and my vet confirmed that it's fine. I've read that this happens because in the wild, it's better for the cat to have double canines for a short while than no canines which would impact their ability to eat.

CaseysMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, that picture is so cool! I know you weren't looking for a commentary, but I just had to say that! :lol:

I'm glad that others chimed in that it is normal, because I wasn't sure. I managed to save several of Tiny's baby teeth. I just thought they were so cute! :lovecat3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! The vet did say that it was only a possibility and didn't seem too concerned. I think he just wanted to warn me of the possibility and let me know to keep an eye on them. I'm glad to hear that I likely won't need to worry.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Hadji had that too. We called him Baby Drac because a black cat having double fangs growing in the days of Gary Oldman’s Dracula and his descending fangs was too perfect. His baby fangs fell out on their own.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Adult teeth grow along baby teeth for some days, then the baby teeth fall out and your kitten is left with the adult teeth only.
On rare occasions the baby tooth doesn't come off and the cat, as an adult, will have one or more double canines, but this isn't a problem.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had one with double canines, and they didn't cause problems until about a year old. They were tight against the adult teeth and she was pawing at her mouth, so I had them pulled when she got spayed.

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone, for sharing your experiences. The vet didn't seem to be too concerned, but just wanted to prepare me for the possibility. The good news is that one of the baby teeth popped out last night while we were cuddling, and I suspect the next one will follow in the next few days, so it doesn't seem like I have any further reason to worry.

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A second update: The second baby canine has fallen out. I'm not sure when it happened, but I got home from work today and noticed that it wasn't there. Anuket is currently snuggled up next to me, legs in the air, and perfectly comfortable. Thanks again, everyone, for your comments. This has been a very educational experience.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A second update: The second baby canine has fallen out. I'm not sure when it happened, but I got home from work today and noticed that it wasn't there. Anuket is currently snuggled up next to me, legs in the air, and perfectly comfortable. Thanks again, everyone, for your comments. This has been a very educational experience.
Awesome!!! Make sure the Tooth Fairy leaves a special treat :)