Adult male attacking suddenly, please help!

Sickkshouting

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so my adult male, Georgie, has been attacking my 6yo daughter randomly. He is a kind of nervous cat so we’re aware of that and try not to have any loud noises, big sudden changes etc, that being said the aggression toward my DD started maybe almost a year ago. It’s usually quick, very & sudden & unprovoked ex. Laying in bed, he was getting love & all the sudden jumped at her and scratched me pretty good in the process. This last time was the worst, we were in the bathroom, he was laying on the floor she was sitting on the toilet and all the sudden he flew off the ground onto her arm. He really scratched her bad, one scratch was so deep it looked like her skin had been torn open (thankfully it was no longer than 1/4in). It seems to me to be unprovoked but clearly something is bothering him enough to attack. I know he doesn’t trust my DD, we’ve had him since he was a kitten & she was about 2, I never left them unsupervised but she got some tail pulling & things like that in while they were growing up. I feel like this might by why the aggression seems to be mostly “at” her. The 1st time it happend she had been at my moms & we figured a new smell bothered him, then it started happening more regularly probably every 2-3 months. I am very aware of his body language so I keep an eye and if he seems to be getting nervous or overwhelmed/scared I’ll give him space and that’s usually fine. Sometimes he just is being petted it just sitting and will all the sudden fly up. I am going to try the nail caps and possible some stress drops that were suggested to me. I’m sorry this is very rambling I’m just really at a loss with this. I’m very very close to him so I’m trying to find any and all options to try. I want to look into behavioralist but my funds are very limited as I’m a barber & getting back to work has been not so fun. But I’m willing to try anything! Just thinking of even the possibility of rehoming my boy kills me, but I’m scared he may really hurt my daughter and I just can’t risk that :/ any and all help would be soooo appreciated! Thank you! 💕

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Definitely try the stress drops, add a calming diffuser, add cat music and if this doesn't stop the issues, you might consider giving him his own room, away from your daughter.

Has he been to the vet lately?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is something going on between him and your daughter - whatever that may be. I would encourage you to keep them away from one another for the time being. But, before you do, it might also be helpful to set up cameras in your house to see if you can interpret anything that might be going on when they are near each other, but no one else is around - it could give you some clues to work with.

If your daughter is on any medications since this has started, cats can - and do - react to the chemical changes in the body - so, that is another aspect to consider. In addition, your daughter changing soaps/perfumes/etc. can cause issues as well.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might also try giving him chamomile tea internally. Purchase the plain, unblended tea bags at the grocery store. Brew a cup, chill it to at least room temp, and administer 1-3 teaspoonfuls (tablespoonfuls if he is over 11 pounds) up to three times a day via syringe. It is gently calming without being sedating. I always recommend buying the prepared tea bags, as those are ALWAYS German Chamomile, which is medicinally active and safe for cats in prescribed dosages. The English variety that grows in so many gardens is useless medicinally, and toxic to cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sickkshouting

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Definitely try the stress drops, add a calming diffuser, add cat music and if this doesn't stop the issues, you might consider giving him his own room, away from your daughter.

Has he been to the vet lately?
I haven’t taken him to the vet yet. We do have a room for him when we notice he seems to be agitated with a bed, litter box food/water etc. I just hate having to separate him from the rest of the family :/ but it does help a lot. Thanks for the help!!

Sickkshouting

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is something going on between him and your daughter - whatever that may be. I would encourage you to keep them away from one another for the time being. But, before you do, it might also be helpful to set up cameras in your house to see if you can interpret anything that might be going on when they are near each other, but no one else is around - it could give you some clues to work with.

If your daughter is on any medications since this has started, cats can - and do - react to the chemical changes in the body - so, that is another aspect to consider. In addition, your daughter changing soaps/perfumes/etc. can cause issues as well.
I really don’t think he trusts her, she liked to pick him up and carry him, and didnt understand that they need space and you can’t make them cuddle with you, and learning their body language etc. she doesn’t pick him up anymore and things like that but he just doesn’t trust her, which honestly I understand. I feel like that may be why she seems to be on the receiving end when he gets overwhelmed or agitated. But for now they stay apart and if I can safely work to rebuild trust between them well try that

Sickkshouting

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You might also try giving him chamomile tea internally. Purchase the plain, unblended tea bags at the grocery store. Brew a cup, chill it to at least room temp, and administer 1-3 teaspoonfuls (tablespoonfuls if he is over 11 pounds) up to three times a day via syringe. It is gently calming without being sedating. I always recommend buying the prepared tea bags, as those are ALWAYS German Chamomile, which is medicinally active and safe for cats in prescribed dosages. The English variety that grows in so many gardens is useless medicinally, and toxic to cats.
I’ll def try this! Thanks so much!

Sickkshouting

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:heartshape:
How does he react - does he meow at the door and seem frustrated, or is he basically chill about it, with his things, some music now and then (not all the time), etc?
He’s pretty chill about it, he doesn’t seem to mind it. I think I mind more than he does haha