Adult coloring books

raksha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So you know how, way back in the thread, I said I'd doodle up some images for people to color if they like? Yeah, life has kind of gotten in the way (car accidents, yay!), but I may be able to churn out a few things as my semester goes along ^_^ @Lilac-Olligoci  you'll still help me, when you're done with your stuff, right?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This thread has been quiet late. Is everyone taking a break from coloring?

Here's my newest finished picture:

I temporarily put the coloring books on hold since I have tons of printed images
I was going to work on another picture but Emma decided she wanted to sleep on it

roobear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have only recently discovered adult colouring after reading an article in the Daily Mail. It is a fantastic stress-buster and it's good to relax after a hard day at  work. Also for a bit of scientific jargon the article said the act of colouring changes the brainwaves used during the day to the ones that you need in order to get a good nights sleep so I tend to do a little bit just before I go to bed or i'll even colour in bed while my fiance watches tv as long as I promise not to get felt-tip on the sheets.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been colouring, but only simple mandalas - nothing I'm happy enough with to post here. Suffering from a severe case of zero energy.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I was on holiday for a few days and as no internet, when we were in in the evening I did plenty of colouring.  
    I've kept it up since I got home but not taken any photos of what I've done.  I'll need to take some and post:  some I'm more happy with others.

What interests me is how I choose very different designs and colours to work with from day to day.  When I was on holiday I started with a very bright, densely coloured mandala, then a bright bit on a jellyfish design but finished it in gentle soft coloured pastels, and the last one I started was more muted shades but I got bored and didn't finish it until I got home.  Now it's a mixture again.

I'm having to battle with a strong desire to buy more pencils....  

I found Derwent coloursoft at what looks like a good price on a UK site called Granthams and I can't help but notice how fast the prismacolor ones are going down. Anyone else tried the coloursoft ones?   (I hold that evil YouTube video review responsible because they were one of the kinds tried in that).   

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't tried them, but I've read a load of reviews on prismacolor vs coloursoft - apparently there's very little to choose between them. The only difference is that prismacolor have a slightly bigger range of colours. Not a big deal at our level ;) I can say that the Derwent colours are amazing - really vibrant, with some nice subtleties between the shades.

Confession - I bought a set of Faber Castelles today :anon: My excuse was they're supposed to be ergonomically shaped. Sadly, it doesn't seem to help :disa: Oh well....its yet more shades to play with :woohoo:

I now have 3 packs of 24, a pack of 12 that sadly won't sharpen well, and 2 tins jam packed with miscellaneous brands of blendables....

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't tried them, but I've read a load of reviews on prismacolor vs coloursoft - apparently there's very little to choose between them. The only difference is that prismacolor have a slightly bigger range of colours. Not a big deal at our level
I can say that the Derwent colours are amazing - really vibrant, with some nice subtleties between the shades.

Confession - I bought a set of Faber Castelles today
My excuse was they're supposed to be ergonomically shaped. Sadly, it doesn't seem to help
Oh well....its yet more shades to play with

I now have 3 packs of 24, a pack of 12 that sadly won't sharpen well, and 2 tins jam packed with miscellaneous brands of blendables....
    Now I feel much better.  Thank you.  
    I keep trying to tell my self that the Derwent colours wouldn't really be any different to the Prismacolor ones but they look to have a really nice range of blues and pinks in there....  I might wait until my next pay packet and then give in.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not been inspired to color much, lately. I also noticed this thread was slowing down...

LTS3---love the picture!!! You are talented!

I have started a couple of pages, but I am not happy with the results of them. I never finished them. I need to get a good fine point eraser because I do go over the lines! Like a kid. I do not feel inspired also. I was using the crayola pencils, just because they have to be used. I am really disappointed in them. I have to press down so hard to get a reasonable color~~~ my carpal tunnel does not seem to enjoy my coloring. I can only do it for so long.

I am thinking that once the cooler weather and then the winter sets in, brrrrrrr, then I will be doing more coloring.

I am also getting a bit bored with the prismacolors! I have a set of 50 and that is not enough!! I want more colors!! I want more shades!  I am so spoiled!!!!  But I am also trying to conserve money..so it is what I am going to use. I should just get a big pencil box and mix them all up, crayola and prismacolor. That way I would have a multitude f shades to pick from....but I hesitate to do that. I really want the good ones separate....sigh, can't make up my mind!!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I am also getting a bit bored with the prismacolors! I have a set of 50 and that is not enough!! I want more colors!! I want more shades!  I am so spoiled!!!!  But I am also trying to conserve money..so it is what I am going to use. I should just get a big pencil box and mix them all up, crayola and prismacolor. That way I would have a multitude f shades to pick from....but I hesitate to do that. I really want the good ones separate....sigh, can't make up my mind!!!
I have the set of 48 and it's not enough either
Sometimes I want a color a shade or two lighter or darker than what I have. I'm going to have to splurge on the full set of 150 for my birthday
I know what you mean about needing to conserve money. Both cats go to the vet next week for their yearly check up and rabies vaccinations so that's around $200. Add in more Heartgard for Leroy and I'm looking at closer to $250 or so
Might have to pick up a part time job for the extra money 

Back to coloring....
I have been colouring, but only simple mandalas - nothing I'm happy enough with to post here. Suffering from a severe case of zero energy.
I'm sure whatever you color is just fine, Columbine
Remember, there are no rules for coloring so anything goes

Do ergonomic pencil grips help with your carpal tunnel?

Is anyone using a case for their pencils or markers? I dropped my PrismaColor tin the other day and pencils went rolling everywhere
The cats enjoyed it
I saw art pencil cases online but reviews seem mixed.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread has been quiet late. Is everyone taking a break from coloring?

Here's my newest finished picture:

I temporarily put the coloring books on hold since I have tons of printed images :lol3: I was going to work on another picture but Emma decided she wanted to sleep on it :doh3:
It's very pretty.

artyjill

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

Its the first time for me on this forum, the reason is that l ordered a book for coloring for my granddaughter's. When it came l found it was for adults. Its a brilliant book for colouring very thick and heavy so thought l would pass-the title ect to you. The reason l am not using it is that l have been an artist for a lot of years but now being disabled it cause's lots of pain.

This is the title and BTW it has 800 pages that can be made into stickers so you could make things for the home

Beautiful World of Stickers  there is no name of who  made it, it has stickers, colouring, and doodling in it.

Jilly

artyjill

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your picture is great, do you use water color pencils l loved working with them. Haven't had them out for a long time so  l think l will have a search for them, probably be in my studio for a week, there is all sorts in there. Send for the fire brigade if you don't hear from me, haha

Jilly

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooh - can you give me some tips on how to get the best out of watercolour pencils? I have a few tins of them (including Derwent Watercolour and Derwent Inktense), but at present am only using them like normal pencils. I'd love to be able to make the most of them.

artyjill

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you use a small brush but not to wet over your coloring they will look like a water color painting, you could frame your pictures then If there to pale you can dry them then give it another brush over the picture. If you like how it looks you could try water color paints bu if you do get artist quality as the  students ones are not very good as its thin and runs every were..

Another thing you could is cut pieces you have co loured out and  stick them over a another picture or use wrapping paper or brown wrapping paper.

Hope this helps forgot to say is use a good or silver pen to highlight parts of it.Have a look at my paintings they might give you some ideas.http://jillsmithartist.com

Jilly

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:thanks: Thank you!!! :D I'm definitely going to try that out (assuming I can get myself organised enough :lol3: ). I love the colour and energy of your work - especially the more abstract pieces. :clap:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Nice @artyjill  ,  I love the colours.  
  The mandala I was doing before and couldn't decide on colours to finish 

A cat tree completed shortly before going away on holiday for a few days last week.  In Mesdemoiselles Cats book.  Initially I wasn't going to colour the tree or leaves but couldn't sleep...

A little design from the Secret Garden book that I did in bed one night when I couldn't get to sleep.

Jelly fish that I did while I was away on holiday - I did the blue one first then the pink one.  In the Wildlife Wonderland book.

Another mandala done when I was away.  In the Tropical Wonderland.

A cat face done after I got back home.   Not quite as psychadelic as the first cat face one I did.  
  Frogs in the Animal Kingdom book which I am still working on.  I kind of lost interest a bit as while I like the frogs, toads and the pink flower, the purple flowers didn't work out at all how I wanted.

A pineapple design from the Tropical Wonderland book.  I've been slowly doing bits of this one over the last 2 weeks and quite like how it's going so far.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nice pictures, MServant
I really like the third picture. It's a simple image but sometimes simple is best
I haven't started any coloring since the last one. I'll pick up again next week while I'm on vacation from work. I'm not going anywhere, just sticking around home.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
 I should just get a big pencil box and mix them all up, crayola and prismacolor. That way I would have a multitude f shades to pick from....but I hesitate to do that. I really want the good ones separate....sigh, can't make up my mind!!!
Ha ha haaa, same here!  I did finally combine the CraZArt and Crayola in one pencil box.  But I've still got the Prismacolor pencils in their original package, which is showing wear.