Adult Cats With Carpet/urine Problem

gosssamer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, we have four adult cats, the youngest being about three, and at least one of them is urinating on the carpet upstairs in a spare bedroom. I'd like to find a way to keep them from peeing up there, and also how to be sure I've eliminated the existing urine completely.

It appeared to be around the perimeter of the room. It went unnoticed for some time and apparently has accumulated beyond the point where it became clear just a spray bottle wasn't enough. We have a Bissel carpet cleaner. I used a solution of a number of different products over the last week, along with many hours of trying to remove the urine. These products included:

- Jackson Galaxy Pet Stain and Odor Eliminator by Fizzion
- BUBBAS Super Strength Commercial Enzyme Cleaner
- BISSELL Pet Pretreat + Sanitize Stain & Odor Remover
- BISSELL 2X Pet Stain & Odor Full Size Machine Formula
- Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator - Enzyme-Powered Pet Odor & Stain Remover

I followed the directions completely, but I'm not sure the smell is gone completely. I used a UV LED flashlight in the dark, but I can't tell if the light is reflecting off of the urine crystals or the chemicals. It was very difficult to thoroughly remove the cleaners from the carpet. It's a very deep carpet. I've also vacuumed afterwards.

We also had a professional come to clean the carpet when this happened a few years ago, but I'm not convinced he did a thorough job.

Assuming I've removed the smell completely from the carpet, what can be done to keep the cats from urinating up there again?

We have four litter boxes in the basement using scoopable litter in the 40lb bag from Costco. We clean it usually every day. There are occasions where it may only get cleaned every other day, but they're very large litter boxes. I don't think it's an issue with not having a clean litter box.

What more can be done?

Also, I wanted to insert links to our litter boxes and the cleaners I used, but the links weren't being displayed when I clicked "preview"....

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Here are my thoughts;
The basement boxes really do need to be cleaned at least once daily.
They also need to be completely dumped and the boxes themselves washed now and then, and rinsed very well
Try a litter called Cat Attract
Add at least one box upstairs
Can you close the door to that room?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gosssamer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Here are my thoughts;
The basement boxes really do need to be cleaned at least once daily.
They also need to be completely dumped and the boxes themselves washed now and then, and rinsed very well
Try a litter called Cat Attract
Add at least one box upstairs
Can you close the door to that room?
I should have mentioned that I really don't want to add a litter box upstairs. There's only a half-bath up there, so there really isn't the room for it. It also adds a whole other level to the chore.

We can close the door, but I should have also mentioned that we really want to avoid that. It's not a sure thing that we'll always remember, and especially with our 7yo child, remembering is difficult. We also tend to close the cats in the bedroom when we close the doors.

I also don't think they pee on a carpet up there because they don't otherwise have a place to go. It seems more like either a territorial thing or that since the carpet may already have that smell, they feel like it's acceptable behavior. Could that be true?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be true, but you have to break the habit.

Maybe have it professionally cleaned one more time? Then, for a few weeks at least, try and keep the door closed.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Normally when someone posts that their cat is peeing around the house, we recommend a vet visit to rule out an UTI. Have the cats been for checkups lately?

And do they get along with each other? If not, it could be territorial marking. Are they all neutered?

You mention that this happened a few years ago. How did you break the habit that time? And did you narrow it down to which cat was the perpetrator?

About cleaning, TCS has a How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions article which might be helpful. However, I think maybe you might need to bring in the professionals again.

And do try to clean the litter boxes on a daily basis. Cats are generally super clean animals, and some don't like using a non-pristine litter box. Some, in fact, will only pee in one box and poop in another. So if your 4 cats share the litter boxes, that is great.

BTW, the "rule" is 1 litter box per cat, plus one, so maybe try putting one more down in the basement. And if you suspect any type of territorial harassment might be happening between cats and the litter boxes, I'd try putting another one in a different location in the house.

Here's a few more TCS articles that might be helpful:
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

gosssamer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Normally when someone posts that their cat is peeing around the house, we recommend a vet visit to rule out an UTI. Have the cats been for checkups lately?
No, and I don't think that's an issue because when the doors are closed, they don't go anywhere else besides the litter boxes.

And do they get along with each other? If not, it could be territorial marking. Are they all neutered?
Yes, I should have mentioned they're all indoor-only cats and have all been neutered. They also get along. There's a younger cat who may be more aggressive than the others, but he's still learning the others don't always like to play.

You mention that this happened a few years ago. How did you break the habit that time? And did you narrow it down to which cat was the perpetrator?
We never did break the habit. We've just been keeping the door closed, but there aren't times it's not, which is why I say it's not a good long-term solution. We also thoroughly cleaned the carpet, and the cats mostly stopped peeing there, or so we thought. We were never able to identify the perpetrator, but I suspect it's the eldest cat who is seven.

About cleaning, TCS has a How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions article which might be helpful. However, I think maybe you might need to bring in the professionals again.
Yes, I agree. I've tried enough variations now that either a rental machine or a professional is going to be necessary.

And do try to clean the litter boxes on a daily basis. Cats are generally super clean animals, and some don't like using a non-pristine litter box. Some, in fact, will only pee in one box and poop in another. So if your 4 cats share the litter boxes, that is great.
Yes, it hasn't been a problem.

BTW, the "rule" is 1 litter box per cat, plus one, so maybe try putting one more down in the basement. And if you suspect any type of territorial harassment might be happening between cats and the litter boxes, I'd try putting another one in a different location in the house.
Okay, will try, but that really creates an enormous amount of additional stress for us. You think by placing another litter box in another corner of the basement would be sufficient?

Thanks

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Okay, will try, but that really creates an enormous amount of additional stress for us. You think by placing another litter box in another corner of the basement would be sufficient?
It can't hurt, and it might help. Especially if the litter box avoidance issue is due to one cat feeling threatened by another when it needs to use the litter box.

Right now, I'm thinking the cat(s) can still smell the urine scent in the room with the carpet, and so until it's cleaned and the smell is gone, he/they may keep going there.

Weird, though, that's it's just that room. Can you set up a camera to see if you can find out which cat it is?

gosssamer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It can't hurt, and it might help. Especially if the litter box avoidance issue is due to one cat feeling threatened by another when it needs to use the litter box.
Okay, I will do that now. We'll also set one up in the half-bath upstairs.

Right now, I'm thinking the cat(s) can still smell the urine scent in the room with the carpet, and so until it's cleaned and the smell is gone, he/they may keep going there.
Yes, I agree that's still a problem. I'm going to look for a professional to come and clean it.

Weird, though, that's it's just that room. Can you set up a camera to see if you can find out which cat it is?
There are actually two bedrooms upstairs, and it's possible the other is affected, but there's enough stuff around the perimeter that I suppose the other bedroom in question is the one they go to.

Good idea about setting up a camera, but what's to be learned by knowing which cat it is? Our suspicion is that it's Havoc, the eldest of our cats.

Oh, I just remembered that I caught Havoc peeing in our closet a few weeks ago. Brand new rug. I suspect that was her way of marking her territory, which is why I said that initially.

gosssamer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
...Because when you know which cat it is, you can get that cat in to the vet :)
You believe it's a UTI, or do you have some other likely diagnosis? The cats all continue to use the existing liter boxes regularly....

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know, but I personally would be one of the people, as a cat owner, who would feel ever so much better knowing it isn't health related. There's just too many things that can happen with cats, and stress, even though it might not be apparent to us humans that it's happening, or why, is very hard on cats emotionally and physically.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it's just one cat, then it could be an UTI. And as Furballsmom Furballsmom has mentioned, stress can cause UTIs. And per the Is Your Cat Stressed Out? article "Elimination issues" can be a symptom of stress.

Another thing you could look into is Feliway, or calming treats. I know Feliway isn't cheap, but some members have found it helpful. So something to look into.

gosssamer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So since I last wrote, we determined that Havoc does not have a UTI and have purchased another litter box to store in the half-bath upstairs.

We're finding that the cats are using the litter box upstairs most often, while the other four in the basement are used less often.

We're also working on getting the carpet cleaned in both rooms upstairs.

Other ideas? I'm not convinced it's going to solve the problem yet, and would appreciate any further ideas.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi again!
Have you had a chance to try any calming products? There are a LOT on the market these days.
Here are some things you could try;

You could try low volume classical harp music, there is an app called Relax My Cat, there is MusicForCats.com and also George Handel compositions are known to help a cat to relax.

Also, you could try one of these, only a small selection of a fast-growing section of pet products;
Bachs Rescue Remedy, Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, Quiet Moments Cat treats, there is Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.

Also Thunderease has diffusers as does Sentry.
You might want to check with your vet, but some people have good results with CBD oil, plus there are vet-prescribed calming products too.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This discussion's post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

Last edited:

gosssamer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't really have any reason to believe my cats aren't already calm.

Would you send me information/research that shows the correlation between cats peeing on the rug and not being calm?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lack of calmness could also be called stress, and per the TCS article Is Your Cat Stressed Out?, two of the behaviour changes that indicate a cat is stressed are:
  • Elimination issues
  • Spraying
That is why we always mention stress, once an UTI is ruled out.

Here are the other TCS articles on stress:
You, Your Cat And Stress
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

Sorry, I've forgotten, other than ruling out an UTI, has your vet had any suggestions?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am not sure that I can offer much, but I do want to pose one question and one possible solution.

Question: there must be a reason why the cats are more inclined to use the box upstairs as opposed to the one downstairs. Is there an issue down there (smells, dampness, furnace noise, mold, etc.) that could be causing them to prefer the one upstairs?

Possible Solution: As far as trying to remove the smell from the carpeting, try "The Equalizer' (on amazon.com, among other web sites). It does not have to saturate the carpet to be effective, hence much less drying time. I have used it and it always done the trick for me.