Adult cat suckles on my finger

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 2 year old cat sucks on my finger occasionally. He’s done it since he was a kitten. I’m not concerned I think it’s actually really cute lol but I’m wondering why he does it and if y’all’s cats do that too. He literally pulls my hand toward him with his paw if I try and pull it away 😂

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s a comfort thing that reminds him of suckling his mama. One of mine absolutely screamed to be allowed to suck my finger and did it a couple times a day until she was a year old and I weaned her. Certainly nothing wrong with allowing it if you are okay with it.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 4 year old who suckles on my shoulder he's always done it. He only does it for a couple of minutes now before he goes to sleep for the night. He sleeps in my son's room but always comes into my room first before he takes himself off to my son. He doesn't suckle on anyone else's shoulder and I do think it's because he was young when we got him I'm his adopted mama.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty likes to knead and suckle the inside of my right elbow...and kneads to the point that I look like I have some obscure skin disease in that area! It is, while not "usual," certainly nowhere near rare! Do they outgrow it? I'm told that many do. Hek is only 13 years old, after all...it could still happen! Meanwhile, I consider it a bonding ritual between us.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jackie nurses a binkie on me once a day plus he usually nurses his binkie in his bed during bedtime.

I fostered 3 kittens (Jackie was one.) His brother was a runt & got extra bottle time.... he isn’t a blanket sucker. His sister didn’t get that extra week of bottle time and she nurses on her binkie to.

I fostered 2 kittens from 10 days old. One sister was failing to thrive so I let the gentlest neuter male mommy her. She nursed on her step dad and didn’t develop a binkie habit. Her sister didn’t do the extra nursing and she had a favorite crocheted blanket that she nursed her entire life.

Attachments