Adult Cat Overeating After New Kitten?

jennifer26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 1-year old, Mr. Johnny Cash. He has been free fed with kibble (2 different food bowls in different rooms in the morning) and then a tablespoon or so of soft food in the evenings. He was always very regulated in his eating and often had some kibble left over the next day even though I always measured out the amount that was appropriate for his age and weight. His weight had been steady at around 9 lbs for a few months and I had assumed he was really just done growing at that point.

Then I got a new kitten, Miss Joan Jett in mid-August. After the "intro period" where they had been separated, they both began eating each other's food even though Mr. Johnny Cash was on adult food (Royal Canin Indoor Adult) and she had kitten food (Royal Canin for Spayed/Neutered). Within a few weeks, I thought he was looking chunky. At first, I just thought it was because my eyes weren't used to seeing him next to a kitten. Well, I had him weighed and he had put on 2lbs in just around 2 weeks!

Is there something psychological about him having to 'compete' for food with a kitten that would contribute to him starting to eat more and put on weight? Even though he's not "fat" at this point, his weight gain is noticeable. Should I be more careful about this?

I also noticed that ALL their food (again weighed for what was age/weight appropriate for both) would be gone by the time I got home from work. So I stopped free feeding and began distributing 1/2 their kibble in the morning and then 1/2 in the evening + the soft food. Still, their food is gone soooo fast. And they follow me / chase me whenever they think it's food time. I don't think I should feed more than the suggested amount so have slightly upped it but not all that much.

I don't want to add much more to my daily routine but does the approach I'm taking seem reasonable? Should I worry about them eating each other's food even though one is for kittens, the other for adults? I don't want to be too controlling about the amount they eat but it seems like they'd be total gluttons if I don't monitor it. Just looking for ideas and guidance!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 1-year old, Mr. Johnny Cash. He has been free fed with kibble (2 different food bowls in different rooms in the morning) and then a tablespoon or so of soft food in the evenings. He was always very regulated in his eating and often had some kibble left over the next day even though I always measured out the amount that was appropriate for his age and weight. His weight had been steady at around 9 lbs for a few months and I had assumed he was really just done growing at that point.

Then I got a new kitten, Miss Joan Jett in mid-August. After the "intro period" where they had been separated, they both began eating each other's food even though Mr. Johnny Cash was on adult food (Royal Canin Indoor Adult) and she had kitten food (Royal Canin for Spayed/Neutered). Within a few weeks, I thought he was looking chunky. At first, I just thought it was because my eyes weren't used to seeing him next to a kitten. Well, I had him weighed and he had put on 2lbs in just around 2 weeks!

Is there something psychological about him having to 'compete' for food with a kitten that would contribute to him starting to eat more and put on weight? Even though he's not "fat" at this point, his weight gain is noticeable. Should I be more careful about this?

I also noticed that ALL their food (again weighed for what was age/weight appropriate for both) would be gone by the time I got home from work. So I stopped free feeding and began distributing 1/2 their kibble in the morning and then 1/2 in the evening + the soft food. Still, their food is gone soooo fast. And they follow me / chase me whenever they think it's food time. I don't think I should feed more than the suggested amount so have slightly upped it but not all that much.

I don't want to add much more to my daily routine but does the approach I'm taking seem reasonable? Should I worry about them eating each other's food even though one is for kittens, the other for adults? I don't want to be too controlling about the amount they eat but it seems like they'd be total gluttons if I don't monitor it. Just looking for ideas and guidance!
Kittens DO need kitten food, if at all possible -- it is higher in calories for growing babies during their first year. Adult cats do NOT need kitten food unless we're talking queens. Two pounds weight gain in two weeks is alarming! on someone as small as a cat. Yes, you do need to keep him from gaining weight like that in future. I've had the experience of bringing in an emaciated street cat who ate everything in sight and tried to eat all of our first cat's food -- understandable, as she never knew where her next meal was coming from. In time, she gained weight and health and stopped snorking down everything in sight. But if a cat is intent on doing this without being in that kind of desperation, maybe try feeding him separately? and not free-choice?

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think most people advise feeding 3x a day as ideal, with maybe 1 snack time in between. If one of those three meals can be wet food it would be more filling because its usually less calories.

But yes, I would keep him away from the kitten food as much as possible because the kitten food has more calories. I believe that nutritionally it's not that much different from adult food, but it's just more calorically dense, which could partly explain his weight gain.

Cats are known to have it hardwired in their brain to compete for resources. For some cats it's more important than others, but that's another great reason not to free-feed. Some cats start guarding the food bowl, which may have happened when you were gone.

It's great that you caught it early and took control :) Great job. Let us know if he loses the weight!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my kitten 3 meals a day in the bathroom. My overweight cat eats 3 meals a day in the kitchen. They get fed at the same time, different recipes for calorie intake.

Uneaten food gets picked up after 30-45 minutes until the next meal time. I don't mind being "too" controlling about their calories and diets. You don't want your older cat to become obese. Trust me on that one. Those cats depend on you to keep them at healthy weights, even if they complain about it. ;)

Your growing kitten will either need extra food at each meal, or a few more meals per day than your older cat. When she's old enough, you can put them on the same schedule with 2-3 meals per day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennifer26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
These are very helpful suggestions! I didn't think about keeping the food out for just limited amounts of time. That will be something I think I'll try to transition them to. I was doing scheduled feedings but just leaving the food out.

They both had checkups today at the vet. Good news is that Mr. Johnny Cash is totally normal at 10.5 lbs for his frame - the vet thought he might have had a late growth spurt coupled with the new kitten coming in.

Now my little girl, Miss Joan Jett is another story. She's 5.7lbs at 5 months and the vet said her belly is so round she had to double-check that she was spayed because she thought she looked pregnant! She wants me to more carefully watch her food though said that this could also just be the way she's growing. She literally chases me for food so I'm thinking it's more of a temperamental thing with her.

Thank you again for the good ideas!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten was 5.75 lbs at 5 months (she was 4 lbs at 4 months). She slowed down to gaining 1 lb per month for the next couple of months. It was normal for her. For a few days she'd look fat and be eating like a little pig, then suddenly she'd be fussy about food for a day or two and have a growth spurt and look thinner and gangly for a while. Then the cycle started over again.

hime

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Jennifer,

this is worrying for your big boy. He cant eat kitten food (neither dry or wet). That's probably the reason why he is putting so much weight on. Kitten food is very caloric to help kittens grow. Grown up cats don´t need it and shouldn´t have it.
I understand you can be on top of them every time they are eating, so my suggestion is put the kitten food in a place where only the kitten can get in. Egs:
- a small box with a hole of not much bigger than the size of your kitten.
- a separate room with a cat flap on the door with a microchip reader that only lets the kitten go through (something like this SWING MICROCHIP | Cat flap with microchip opening system - Ferplast)

I assume putting the food in 2 different locations is not an option as Mr. Cash would run to the other location. Therefore my suggestions... Hope this can be of any help.

You have to understand that the kitten´s food is very tasty and attractive to other cats, so you can try to change to something less tasty and still adequate for Joan... maybe Royal Kitten SPAYED/NEUTERED.

Let us know how it goes.