Adult cat eating kitten food and kitten eating adult food

briannathecatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. I have recently gotten two 3 month old kittens about a month ago and I have a 15 year old adult cat. We have recently moved the kittens out into the house more as the kittens and our cat seem to be tolerating each other more. However it seems that now that the kittens are out more they are drawn to my older cats food which is special K/D food and then my adult cat wants to eat the kittens food. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to curve this behavior on both their parts or is it just something that is bound to happen?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Are you free feeding or do you have set feeding times for the cat and kitten? Kittens need to eat more frequently than older cats, but if you can get them used to regular feeding times it will make everything, from weight management to giving medications, much easier. It might be a good idea to feed them separately and pick up any left overs before they get into each other's food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

briannathecatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are free fed but feeding them separately might be what we'll have to do. We've gotten the female kitten to stop eating it so it's mainly just the male kitten and my husband and I are gone at work for 9 hours everyday so we cant actively supervise it. I'm considering moving from free feeding to scheduled meal times.