Adult cat bullying six month kitten in the litter box

ameliashuman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My four year old cat named Charlie (who is a large and domineering looking guy) seems to be bullying our six month old kitten, named Marco specifically when Marco is using the litter box (In the pictures, Charlie is the black cat, Marco is the gray/white tabby). We've seen Charlie pounce once and we have seen Charlie stalk Marco while he's using the litter box, but we suspect its going to on more because we have discovered Marco has been peeing in our closest. We have a two floor house, the litter boxes (4 boxes for 3 cats) are in the basement, spread out in different locations. When upstairs (where they spend most of their time), Charlie does not get along great with Marco or our other cat Amelia (five years old), but mostly they ignore each other upstairs with an occasional scuffle. However, based on the one time we saw Charlie pounce on Marco and the peeing in the closet we think more fights are happening out of our sight. Marco was recently at the vet last week for an unrelated issue and he got the go to go from the vet (although we didn't bring up a UTI) Charlie is an anxious cat, he is easily scared by loud noises, new people, sudden movements, so it maybe this is a confidence/territory issue? Our plan so far is 1) Play and feed Marco downstairs to help him gain confidence 2) Feed Marco and Charlie fancy feast (a special treat they both love) together downstairs, 3) Move a feliaway defuser downstairs, 3) continue playing with Charlie to build his confidence and drain energy. My questions are:

1) We're debating removing all the boxes/stalking options for Charlie, but that doesn't give marco places to hide/observe. Is it better to remove all stalking locations or should we do something else?
2) I know Jackson Galaxy has suggested using some sort of essential oil for cats, but won't that be potentially poisonous? Is there something that could work to help Charlie feel calmer without going to a psych med (which we will consider if needed?
3) Other suggestions for helping an anxious bully?

Attachments

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long did it take to introduce Charlie and Marco to each other? Are both neutered?

There are some essential oils that can be used with cats that can be used in diffusers or actual drops they can be given. Matricalm is pretty good. I have used it when taking some of my cats to the vet, and my friend used it when she moved across the state. I have heard good things about NaturVet Hemp Quiet Moments, but I have not used it.

You may want to talk to your vet about it. Sometimes for litter box aggression, they will prescribe something like lorazepam for extreme cases. The doses are small and can typically be weaned off after the pattern of aggression has been broken. At least, that is what I have read. If it is bad enough and nothing else seems to be working, it certainly is worth speaking to your vet.

Our former bully did not go after the other cats when they were in the litter box. She just would stalk and attack a certain cat who had no confidence. Tara, the bully, responded well to distraction and positive reinforcement. When I would see her begin stalking, I would click my fingers, say her name, and then go over to her and pet her. Eventually, it came down to me just needing to click my fingers and point next to me. She comes running and wants me to pet her. She has pretty much stopped stalking. She has not attacked another cat--even her victim Astrid--for a long while now.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are a good many essential oils designed specifically for cats that are perfectly safe. Jackson Galaxy, for one, sells a line of those, and there are others. Some cats respond very well to them, others seem to be unaffected.

What about cat trees? That would give Marco a chance to "go high," which is a good thing for cats. It builds confidence. Wand toys, such as "Da Bird" are excellent as well! I'd play with BOTH cats using one, but separately. As Charlie's confidence builds, he won't be (we hope) as compelled to go after Marco, and as Marco's confidence builds, he will no longer look like prey to Charlie. And they'll be having fun doing it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameliashuman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We got marco at the end of April and did introductions for about a month. Charlie won't participate due to being too scared, so we let Marco out after he and our other cat were doing well and gave Charlie the upstairs as his sanctuary and he could watch Marco (we had it blocked so Marco never realized he could go up and Charlie had free reign. After about a month Charlie got use to the Kitty and they co-existed. Not friends but its not constant fighting.

We've been unsuccessful in the past with co-play. Charlie usually backs off and watches Marco bounce around. Charlie will co-play with our other cat who is older and doesn't tend to engage in high energy play. We have the Da Bird and this helicopter string toy that they love and destroy. Any good tricks for coplay? They will "co-play" when there is a lizard in the house, much to the misfortune of picture frames and other breakables that get in the way.

I was debating putting up cat trees in our basement. There's definitely room for us to clear out our boxes that are just laying around and I wondered if cat trees would be helpful or serve the same purpose as the boxes for stalking. We'll put in some trees!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It isn't so much co-play as giving each a separate play period to build confidence. Co-play will come naturally as they develop a good working relationship.

And yes, do let us know how the trees go over! Although they'll probably be more interested in the boxes they come in at first! They are, after all, cats!

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
if the cats are spending most of their time upstairs I would add a few litterboxes there. Our rescue's behaviorist actually suggested one litterbox per room for a multi cat household because some cats won't like to walk through doorways and down stairs when another cat is sitting there ... and it is impossible for a cat to always " patrol" boxes on two levels ... which gives the other cat some peaceful time to use the bathroom ... you could add cat shelving instead of cat trees if space is a concern ... mine absolutely love shelves - we use them half for storage and leave another part free for cats. you could create high walkways for your nervous cat where he could see the world from above . I have a very sensitive cat and she loves enclosed spaces too ... we always keep some blankets tossed over furniture that she likes to hide under - she will lay there and peek out ... I second lots of playtime ... maybe even separate playtime ... when they have penned up energy they are getting pesky with each other ... I have siamese mixes ... when they don't get to play wild with Dabird. laser... or such for a few minutes every day they seem to get tense with each other ... - a good hunt makes them relaxed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameliashuman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the play and confidence building doesn't work, we have a place identified for putting a litter box upstairs. We won't let it go too long, just a few days, since we don't want Marco to be scared and we'd like fewer pee accidents.. I won't be the person who refuses to do what our cats need to be comfortable, but I'm hoping we can avoid it with other strategies. The playtime separate (and downstairs for Marco) hopefully will go a long way to increasing confidence! In addition to the DaBird are there other flying toys that you guys have liked? Charlie really likes it when we slide mice across the floor and he can chase after the mice.

We're going to set up some more controlled high/low spaces. I think we may be able to plan out locations that will limit direct intimidation and stalking but still give them spaces to observe.
I attached a picture of them pretending to be friendly acquaintances.

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it comes down to it, there are any number of beautiful litter boxes that look like furniture, and even potted plants.