Adoption regret and health issues

HighAnxiety

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boyfriend and I impulsively adopted a kitten on Saturday and immediately regretted the decision. We feel horrible and don't know what to do.

We already have one cat, Charlie, who is a mix of my child and best friend. He loves to cuddle, is super sweet and playful, and flounces and prance around the apartment. He's six years old and my mom got him when he was about 4 months old but I was living at home and he chose me as his human instead. When she would try to take him in the room with her, it felt like my heart would break a little. And then minutes later he'd break out and come bounding back to me. He's been my rock through grad school, and has lived with me longer than my boyfriend. We treat him like our child and have trouble leaving him alone. He loved playing with his brothers back at my mom's house and so we've always planned to get a second cat. Lately I've felt like it would be easier to leave him home alone during the day or even overnight (I can't do that now, I'm too scared of him feeling alone or being afraid).

Enter Norman. We did NOT plan to adopt a cat on Saturday. We had been talking about it as something we would do when we moved into a house. But there's was a pet adoption at petsmart and the sweetest baby wouldn't stop staring at us. It wasn't that he was cute, all the cats were cute. There was just something about his personality that called to us. We asked to meet him and they let him out with another cat. The other kitty kind of stole the show while Norman hid. But we coaxed him out and suddenly it was cuddle and purr city. He put his face against mine, stared into my eyes, and just purred. He's a 4 mth old kitten who was rescued from a hoarding situation. We filled out the adoption paper work and took it back to be submitted, expecting it to take a couple days.... They asked us if we wanted to take him home.

Immediate regret. Charlie initially had a less than thrilled reaction, especially since Norman gets the bedroom. The combination of impulsiveness, disruption to routine, and Charlie's reaction had a bad impact on my boyfriend but kind of dangerous impact on me.

I knew I had issues with anxiety, but after doing some research it looks like the situation triggered generalized anxiety disorder. I have been physically sick, trembling, crying, and unable to eat. My thoughts race constantly and I can't sleep. Hot waves of anxiety flood my body. I also feel suicidal (I think I'm okay, I'm going to therapy tomorrow).

Norman is amazing. He's a perfect kitten. There's nothing wrong with him. He's cuddly, adventurous, sweet, and playful. But the night we got him he started to get sick. We're hoping it's only an eye infection and not an upper respiratory infection that he could give to Charlie. On Monday we had all started feeling a little better (Charlie seemed to want to meet him). But the trip to the vet left Norman in a cone and in need of eye drops. In case anyone is still reading this effing novel, yes, my extreme anxiety disorder was triggered prior to this part of the story.

Whether Norman is contagious or not, this new situation is awful. He needs constant care and supervision. The cone makes it impossible for him to do anything on his own. We figured out a food dish that works, but water and going to the bathroom is a nightmare. I left him alone for an hour to clean the apartment and when I came back he was utterly miserable. Unable to cover his poop, laying on the bed with poop on his cone, litter on his cone, and his little eye in terrible shape with the other eye a little goopy as well.

I guess what I'm wondering is, should we even be allowed to have Norman? He's so happy to be here. He loves us and our bed. He loves his toys and pillow and blanket. We want him to be happy, but we turned our lives upside down and I don't know how to cope with the changes. And on top of everything, I'm leaving town for a week on Saturday for work. So likely, Norman will still have to be quarantined from Charlie, my boyfriend will sleep with Norman to care for him, and Charlie will be worse off than before: alone.

I'm concerned for Norman's health, Charlie's health, and honestly my health as well. On Sunday night we were worried that I would need to be hospitalized... And I'm honestly not sure if that's off the table yet.

Please help. :(

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a friend who could take Norman while you are out of town? Or is there someone besides the two of you who gets along with Charlie who could watch him?

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Only you can decide what is right for you. That being said, if Charlie and Norman aren't currently separated they should be until Norman has a clean bill of health and then do a proper introduction. Is the cone so Norman won't rub or scratch his eye? Ask the vet if it is really necessary to wear because he may do better without it. Charlie is acting perfectly normal and he will get over the intrusion in his space eventually - just make sure he gets his own special time and lots of affection. Cats are amazingly resilient creatures.

Bringing in a new cat or kitten is stressful no matter what so recognize that feeling some degree of anxiety about it is normal, though it is obviously exacerbated for you. If you feel able to give it a little more time that's what I would recommend. You could also talk to the rescue about what their policy is on taking animals back, so that you will know what your options are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HighAnxiety

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your advice. They are currently separated and we're changing our clothes/using hands sanitizer when going between them. And yes, the cone is so he won't rub his eye.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course, with the anxiety disorder you'll have to make the right decision for YOU. Hopefully your therapist can help you sort that out.

But as a general thing, I think this will work out well. Neutered male cats tend to be buddies, so I think Charlie will get used to Norman and they'll be great friends. It does take a while---cats hate change. But in the end it will all be worth it. And it sounds like Norman is settling in nicely.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry for all the stress! Just make sure you don't change up Charlie's environment too much while you take care of Norman. Do you have more than one bedroom? If so, a secondary bedroom would be best to have Norman in, if Charlie is used to sleeping in your bedroom. You and your boyfriend could each swap spending nights separately with Norman in a guest bedroom and Charlie in the main bedroom if that is where he is used to being. And, that set up would also enable a friend or relative to come stay in your home while you are gone? Perhaps, someone Charlie knows, who could stay with him, while your boyfriend tends to Norman?

Did the vet test a sample of the discharge from Norman's eye to see if a specific infection could be identified? That would go a long way in knowing how big of an issue there is in terms of exposing Charlie. What kind of testing and vaccination data do you have from PetSmart when you got Norman? And, has Charlie received all of his vaccinations and boosters? Have you asked your vet about possible issues with Norman's infection affecting Charlie? Knowing all of this information could really help you feel less stressed because it is always better to deal with the known than worry about things you are not sure of.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, first take a deep breath. I have severe anxiety so I can relate to your feelings. I have made a few impulsive decisions myself, like getting an Umbrella Cockatoo, and I usually want to throw up right afterwards.

Just because Norman has entered your life does not mean that your routine with Charlie has to change, in fact, do not change your relationship with Charlie because you do not want to stress him out or make him think that a kitten is replacing him. Charlie is an older cat who happens to be your best friend, he deserves to be on your bed as he always has been- Norman has to earn that privileged. And no, as to be expected, Charlie is not going to be thrilled meeting a young whipper snapper like Norman.

As far as Norman goes, he sounds like a delightful ham with a warm and wonderful personality.

I am sure the shelter would take him back, but please, until you get your anxiety under control do not make any decisions about taking Norman back right away.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have anxiety and I know exactly how you feel. I've never regretted adopting a cat, but five years ago I adopted my dog, Chisum. He was a puppy and I was expecting the typical puppy blues but it was so much worse than that. He had major behavioral issues (not normal puppy stuff), in particular high anxiety and stranger danger that he still deals with today. He wouldn't allow anyone else to interact with him - so even though my parents were willing to help, he would throw such epic fits when he was away from me that it didn't matter and I had no escape. I felt totally doomed.

But the thing is, you settle into a routine. You figure it out. A couple of weeks go by and you can't imagine your life without this little being in it. It sounds like Norman will be an excellent fit once you establish a new house routine - so give yourself a little time to do that. Charlie will be fine, I promise.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First let me say seeing your therapist, as you have planned, is so very important. Next You and your boyfriend obviously love Charlie and he is part of your family. Your plan of getting him a cat friend was and is a great plan. But as with any change it takes time for everyone to adjust. It is not uncommon for kittens to get small health issues. He is so lucky that you came along and noticed him even tho he was the shy one. Think of the connection you felt with him and he felt with you. He now has medication and with your care should be well soon. I’m sure he is anxious at his new home too. And is looking to you for reassurance This is a precious time when he is learning that this is his home and bonding with you. Once he is better and can start spending time with Charlie you all will start feeling like a family. As I watch my two boys play, sleep together and even groom each other I can’t imagine them not having each other. You have this new little family member to get to know and with every new thing you learn the family bond grows. We would love to see pictures. I will bet it won’t be long before Charlie and Norman are posting together. Try to relax and Enjoy this time.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Forgot to mention please ask the vet if you can remove the cone. It seems this would help alot. And ask how long they must be separated. Since Charlie is already curios starting the introduction process should help both cat and kitten.

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel you. I have anxiety too and I was a wreck during the two weeks when we got a second kitten and kept him in a kitten room without exposure to resident kitty and then slowly introduced. It felt really big and awful to me, I felt so stretched going back and forth taking care of two! And so worried about ho wit would be when they were together. (Mind you my first was still a kitten, just an older kitten, so it was likely easier, but it still felt horribly hard.) I had so much anxiety thinking it wouldn't work and we'd have to return this new kitten and how I'd feel like a horrible human if I did that etc etc.

(And btw once I adopted a puppy as a single person and that was truly a terrible decision and I wound up taking him back to the shelter and feeling so awful! But it wasn't the right time and I'm sure he found another loving home.)

Anyway. . .in my case, those two weeks were stressful, but now it's the best! They get along and I love both of them and feel so good that they have each other. I can't say what's right for you, but just so you know this is a temporary thing. If you keep him, he will get well and they will
learn to be buddies if you do the introductions slowly. <3

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got Salem a buddy, Dante ..... who became my best friend. Then for 13 years Dante annoyed Salem with his hyper playfulness. Even though they were not best friends they still were friends (Dante was just always the hyper younger brother.) After Dante died I thought Salem would be happy; instead he was depressed for months.

My point is that you should never under estimate the benefit that giving your cat a cat buddy will bring to their lives! I also strongly believe that every cat enters our life for a reason. Dante got me through my darkest time & I'm eternally grateful to him! It will take time for everyone to settle in and for the kitten to grow out of the annoying kitten phase. Give it time, see your therapist & let Charlie sleep with you/have the room at night. If you feel super guilty one of you can sleep on the couch ( bf & kitten or you & Charlie since he is more bonded to you.) Your kitten sounds like a better temperament match then my boys were! I bet in 6 months they will be best friends! Oh and take tons of pictures/videos, they grow up so fast!

My last picture of my boys taken together.... see that closeness, that means they like each other. Salem (peach) was giving me the side eye because of my phone clicking.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HighAnxiety

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much, everyone. It's been a really hard couple of weeks but reading the experiences you shared really got us through it. I can't express how much your words meant to me, especially from those who have undergone similar issues with anxiety. I reread all of the responses when I felt overwhelmed or panicked. I wasn't ready to respond until we knew more, which we do now.

We were concerned about Norman's health problems and followed the advice some of you provided to find out exactly what he has so we could know if it's dangerous to Charlie and a long term health issue. We got some good news today. He has chlamydia, which is not reoccurring. Charlie hasn't caught it because we have been super careful and we plan to continue being careful until Norman is better. It's been really hard on my boyfriend being on his own this week, but he was able to split his time between both cats in a way that everyone (me) felt okay with.

Charlie and Norman are very eager to meet. I think of everyone involved, they are the most relaxed about the whole situation. Charlie is kind of a vocal complainer and has actually been more content and happy since we brought Norman home. And I have felt better knowing that he isn't alone, even if they're currently separated. I'm sure there will be bumps in the road but they enjoy staring at each other from down the hall (at least one of them being held). They are similar in a lot of funny ways, and it's really sweet how calm they have been about the whole situation (while the humans are freaking out 24x7).

I will finally be back home with them on Saturday and am so excited to see all three boys (one boyfriend, two cats). I will update again once they have been introduced successfully. We're excited for our future adventures with two kitties.

Again, thank you so much. This is an incredible community. You all really helped me.