Adoption Of 5 Month Cat, Do They Leave The House?

aira45

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi i'm just wondering i have a 4-5 month old for adoption, some people told me the cat is already too big and it won't stay in a new home, it's going to come back to mine, is that true? there is a way the new owner can prevent this? should i give him in adoption only for departments?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten should be kept inside when adopted so that it bonds with its new owners and becomes familiar with the new home. It is much safer for a kitten to stay inside anyway the first year, if not forever.

The cat should be spayed or neutered before 6 months old to prevent pregnancy or male spraying and courting.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Cats can get used to a new home at any age. It is best for cats to be kept inside, however, as outdoor cats are at the risk of contracting FIV, FIP, FeLV, getting into fights with other cats (or dogs, wolves, foxes, you name it), getting hit by a car, or even being poisoned or shot at.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aira45

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok but what are the chances of the cat wanting to come to my house? 80%? i know with kittens is 0% because they get used to the new people in the very moment but how is with 4-5 month olds? anybody has experience with cats this age?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How would the cat go to your house if the cat is kept inside and not allowed out?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
It may take up to a day for a 4-5 month old kitten to want to interact with their new human, but that's mostly because they're in new surroundings. The standard protocol for cats at any age is to introduce them to a new place slowly, one room at a time.

I adopted Charlie when he was six months old. He hid under the bed for about five minutes, before he was out exploring, batting around his ping pong balls, and coming up to me demanding cuddles.

Did your cat give birth to kittens? Is that how you obtained this kitten? If so, it's probably actually better that you waited this long, up to four months is a crucial developmental period in kittens' lives, and being with their mother during that time while interacting with humans really helps them to grow into healthy, sociable young cats. In fact, many cat breeders won't let anyone purchase kittens until this age because of this.

You really should tell the new owner to keep the kitten inside, though! It's the safest place for cats.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted Mingo when he was 5 months old. He was a rescue, and I suspect that the previous owners let him out, and he wandered off and was picked up as a stray. I suspect this because every time he is fed, he wants to go out after he finishes although I have never let him out. So my guess is that your kitten may leave his new home unless he is kept in. I'm sure Mingo would come back to my house now if I let him out, but he is strictly an indoor cat.

As everyone else has said, it is just too dangerous these days to let cats roam outside. Advise your new owners to keep the kitten inside and have him neutered. He will become a very affectionate cat devoted to his new owners.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aira45

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
5 minutes? that's awesome, i found him in my house less than 2 months ago. He is scary by nature so it might take him more time, i'm only afraid of him wanting to come into my house and get lost :(

I can't know if the new owners are going to have him inside the house or not

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you give him to the new owners personally, ask what they plan to do. If they plan on an indoor/outdoor cat, tell them to be sure to keep him in for a month or two until he knows where he belongs.

mtgal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have no clue where the myth of rehoming cats and thinking the cat won't adjust to its new home comes from, but it seems fairly wide spread. Thankfully, it is mostly myth and not real. We rescue all sorts of animals here and then find them homes. When adopting cats, we require new owners to make the cat an indoor only pet because the threats in our area (traffic and coyotes) are too severe. But we also get "barn cats" that are semi-feral and will never be happy indoors. Our rule is the new owner must keep the cat confined in a barn/stable room/space for the first month and then slowly allow it more freedom. Once the cat has adjusted, it can safely be permitted to roam in the barn/stable and it is very rare that we hear of a cat leaving home and becoming lost. It's important to pick good homes, to make sure the new owner is responsible and will take time to help the cat settle into its new home. I've successfully rehomed cats up to fifteen years old and as young as nine weeks. Make sure the new owners spay/neuter if you haven't already done this - we require contracts that state the cat will be spayed/neutered and receive its regular vaccinations. (Both indoor and barn cats)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have control over who is adopting your cat. You need to make sure that they will neuter, vaccinate, and keep the cat inside.