Adoption dilemma

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A little back story...
When we adopted our current kitties (Lily, Bynx and Chester) 3 years ago, there were a few other ones on our "short list" that we considered. We would have adopted them all, but 3 was enough. Anyway, one of the kitties in particular was a little (yet fat) girl named Charlie. She was really sweet and loved to be pet. Unfortunately, we had to leave her behind, but because of her personality, we thought she would get adopted, and luckily, just a couple weeks later, we found out she was adopted.
Now fast forward 3 years, and sadly, she was returned to the shelter because her owner got really sick and can no longer care for her. She is now 5-6 years old, so less likely to get adopted. There was a post about her and there seems to be some interest, but my husband wants to adopt her as a "shop cat", a kitty that would live at his work. (He owns his own business and works a lot) The thing is, I would feel horrible for her having to spend all her nights alone. I don't think I could live with that guilt that she's not getting the cuddles and pets that she deserves. I know we leave our kitties alone during the day when we are at work, but they have each other as company and they get attention in the mornings/evenings and sleep with us at night...and there's of course the weekends.
And of course, there's always the "just bring her home"...part of this, but then I worry about the absolute perfect dynamic we have among our current kitties and I worry about disrupting their "routine". Plus my husband really does want a pet at work with him.
We could technically adopt her and he could just bring her to work with him and home again, but we would have to make sure she is good with travelling (it's only a 7-8 minute drive)...but that still brings us back to our current kitties routines...Would they adapt to a "part time" sister?
My heart breaks for this cat....I'm tearing up as I write this...

I don't know what to do...

I told my husband about my reservations about her being alone too much if she's just left there full time....and we never really finished/continued our conversation about it much further. He was just too excited about his "awesome idea" and simply said. "It would be great...I'm usually at work 7 days a week anyway, she'd be fine...." I dropped it after that so what I said could bounce around in his head for a bit.

Lots of businesses have work pets around here, but their hours are much longer then what my husband works. He's there almost everyday, but we're not talking 9am-9pm including weekends like a retail shop. He even told me about a client of his who's business actually increased after getting a cat because people will stop buy to visit the cat...and end up buying stuff in the process. Not that he wants a cat to help with retail sales...he doesn't have that kind of business anyway...I think he was just trying to sell ME on the idea.

Again...I don't know what to do...........

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you think because of her age she probably won’t get adopted, wouldn’t she be better off if you adopt her? If she’s gonna be around your husband or other people during the day, that’s much better than being confined in a cage (or where ever they keep the cats)…maybe your husband would change his mind and you can keep her at home.
im sure your other cats would get use to her…just do it gradually. I have 12 indoor cats, one was a feral cat that I was feeding when she was outside, I was able to get her on our enclosed porch. It took me 4 months to be able to pet her, long story short, she’s been inside with all my other cats now since last October. I would let her come inside during the day while I was home and she would sleep on the porch at night. I had to introduce other cats a year ago (slowly) and all is well.
if I were you, I would definitely adopt her….😉

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A little back story...
When we adopted our current kitties (Lily, Bynx and Chester) 3 years ago, there were a few other ones on our "short list" that we considered. We would have adopted them all, but 3 was enough. Anyway, one of the kitties in particular was a little (yet fat) girl named Charlie. She was really sweet and loved to be pet. Unfortunately, we had to leave her behind, but because of her personality, we thought she would get adopted, and luckily, just a couple weeks later, we found out she was adopted.
Now fast forward 3 years, and sadly, she was returned to the shelter because her owner got really sick and can no longer care for her. She is now 5-6 years old, so less likely to get adopted. There was a post about her and there seems to be some interest, but my husband wants to adopt her as a "shop cat", a kitty that would live at his work. (He owns his own business and works a lot) The thing is, I would feel horrible for her having to spend all her nights alone. I don't think I could live with that guilt that she's not getting the cuddles and pets that she deserves. I know we leave our kitties alone during the day when we are at work, but they have each other as company and they get attention in the mornings/evenings and sleep with us at night...and there's of course the weekends.
And of course, there's always the "just bring her home"...part of this, but then I worry about the absolute perfect dynamic we have among our current kitties and I worry about disrupting their "routine". Plus my husband really does want a pet at work with him.
We could technically adopt her and he could just bring her to work with him and home again, but we would have to make sure she is good with travelling (it's only a 7-8 minute drive)...but that still brings us back to our current kitties routines...Would they adapt to a "part time" sister?

I told my husband about my reservations about her being alone too much if she's just left there full time....and we never really finished/continued our conversation about it much further. He was just too excited about his "awesome idea" and simply said. "It would be great...I'm usually at work 7 days a week anyway, she'd be fine...." I dropped it after that so what I said could bounce around in his head for a bit.

Lots of businesses have work pets around here, but their hours are much longer then what my husband works. He's there almost everyday, but we're not talking 9am-9pm including weekends like a retail shop. He even told me about a client of his who's business actually increased after getting a cat because people will stop buy to visit the cat...and end up buying stuff in the process. Not that he wants a cat to help with retail sales...he doesn't have that kind of business anyway...I think he was just trying to sell ME on the idea.

Thoughts?
Hi , I’m one of the people who have office manage on duty. In my case it was fool out domestic situation between the cats so he ended up in the office. We have people in there from 6am till 5ish pm. Our cat is the social cat that is harassing and abusing (in a good way) everyone who enter through the door. Our costumes are satisfied customers who leave our establishment with the bonus cat hair all over them. When we leave he takes his night position on one of the cat trees around the office And sleeps the night away (cameras in office helps). I would go ahead and take the cat home, maybe try to introduce her in your home slowly . If the things don’t work out you have back up plan And either way you are giving a needy kitty home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she’s gonna be around your husband or other people during the day, that’s much better than being confined in a cage (or where ever they keep the cats)…
Totally agree...however, the shelter is actually a great set up. All the cats (who get along with other cats) get to roam the large 2 story house converted in to a shelter. Plus they have workers and volunteers who play and socialize with them. Birthing/nursing moms get their own (small) room. They have a couple of "quarantine rooms" if they ever have a health crisis. This shelter isn't a bad place to be for a cat. When we were there last, there were only about 20 cats in cages...the rest of the over 100 were all comfy and cozy or playing around. It's super clean too.

We have people in there from 6am till 5ish pm.
He doesn't seem too lonely being left alone for the whole evening and overnight? What about weekends?

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Totally agree...however, the shelter is actually a great set up. All the cats (who get along with other cats) get to roam the large 2 story house converted in to a shelter. Plus they have workers and volunteers who play and socialize with them. Birthing/nursing moms get their own (small) room. They have a couple of "quarantine rooms" if they ever have a health crisis. This shelter isn't a bad place to be for a cat. When we were there last, there were only about 20 cats in cages...the rest of the over 100 were all comfy and cozy or playing around. It's super clean too.

He doesn't seem too lonely being left alone for the whole evening and overnight? What about weekends?
The only time that he is alone is Sunday and that means that he sees someone twice on Sunday for feeding (we feed wet no free feeding) . We don’t sleep with the cats (they have their own room) so he is used to nights being quiet. That goes for all our animals.
My thing with you is that since you are discussing adopting the kitty, obviously it’s tugging on your heart if you don’t, you will regret it.
In my experience, if I left the place thinking about whatever it was (shoos, apple, dress) I always regretted it not getting it. y wanted to adapt her to being with, and now she is back. Soooooooo???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, good news bad news....mostly good.
The little cat that my husband wanted for his shop had a request and will be adopted to a family. Yay, but of course, my husband was a little sad. That's the bad news...hubby was sad. But the shelter owner, who knows my husband and had even been to his shop, asked if he would be willing to take in another cat from the shelter.
I don't know all the backstory yet about his previous life, but this kitty is a big boy and has a few battle scars. He apparently could be aggressive (hard bites) and would pick fights with other kitties at the shelter, but was a good boy if you respected his boundaries.
The owner of the shelter thought being alone would be good for him but still in a place where he could get some human socialization.
So, hubby said yes. We are currently only foster parents to him at the moment, but my husband is already hinting that he may be a foster fail...like, I didn't see that coming...:rolleyes2:

My husband picked him up on Tuesday, and from the very beginning, Seymour, has been wonderful. From what the shelter said about him and how he acts at the shop, the poor guy was just not a good fit for a shelter with all those other cats. He can get a bit overstimulated but so far my husband has been able to do all the things that the shelter said would be a no go. He can pet him, brush him (just not too long) and has even picked him up on many occasions...which apparently would have been a death sentence, LOL. He loves to cuddle on my husbands lap and on his keyboard while he's working. And does follow him when he goes to another room. He's completely content just lounging on his cat tree or on near my husband's desk. He eats well and uses the litter box. He even travelled well, which again, the shelter warned him that he "freaks out" in a carrier. When my husband went to pick him up. He let Seymour sniff him, gave him a treat, then thru one in our carrier and he walked right in and was super chill (just a few meows) for the whole 40 minute ride.
He head butts and rubs up on us, trills and meows at us and really seems to enjoy attention...we just have to watch his tail for when it starts to flick...just to safe, but so far he hasn't shown any aggression. It doesn't take much to get him purring and he often flicks and kneads his paws, even showing us his belly....and yes we can rub it!

So this is Seymour, the Shop cat.
1653150576450.png
1653150624778.png

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A little back story...

Thoughts?
Big hairy tarantula on display😁 no better attention grabber than that

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Guess it was meant to be! Lol. I’m so glad the first kitty found a home and I’m so happy you decided to take Seymour and that he’s doing so well. I think cats have a certain instinct and know when someone is helping them. I bet Seymour was really happy when he got away from all those other kitties and now he gets all the attention. Bless you both..

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh I love Seymour!!! It all worked out and 2 cats ended up finding homes. ❤ What is meant to be will always find a way