Adopting retired bengal queen

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After seeing me with my kittens, my younger bro is adooting a cat rather than kitten.
But he is looking at adopting a retired bengal queen at 2 yrs.
Bengal, no matter what age is not going be like normal cats.
But he want to go for it.
The queen is going for spaying next week for which my bro will pay instead of adoption fees to breeder.
Quistion: she had given birth 3 litters and now going for steralization. Will she still have her heat instincts and mark around?
Will 2 yrs make the female bengal less robust?
According to breeder, she claims the fale is more gentler than her other bengal cats.
Looks small for 2 Yr old but has papers.

Attachments

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bengals are no different to other cats, they have all different characters and personalities, some are laid back and super cuddly. some are definitely not lap cats. One thing they do have in common is a high activity level in play and being highly intelligent they will soon get themselves into trouble or mischief if a lot of time and attention is not paid to them.
First I would ask if your brother has had cats before and experienced..if not its not a good thing he has set on getting a Bengal and secondly why is this breeder willing to let him have the cat.
Most responsible breeders of Bengals lay out a lot of conditions you have to meet before they will sell you a cat.
A lot of Bengals end up in shelters because people dont realize you haven't just bought a cat with pretty spots, they can be quite a patience and time demanding cat.
Has he met and spent time with this cat to see how well socialized she is????
And personally to me for a 2 year old cat she looks underdeveloped like she had her first litter to young, just an observation.
Ask your brother to do quite a bit of research before jumping into this please.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Your brother really needs to find out more about the breed and the breeder before making a commitment to take the cat.

Three litters in a 2 year old cat is a lot. It's put a lot of stress on her and likely affected her development and general health. Do you know how old her last litter is? Are the kittens completely weaned? Even if they're weaned, are they old enough to be separated from their mother? Most ethical breeders do not let kittens go to new homes until they're at least 12-14 weeks old. They not only need to be weaned, they need to learn proper cat behavior from their mother.

Once she is spayed she will no longer have the hormones that cause her to go into heat. If she hasn't been spraying before she's not going to start after the spay. If she has been spraying she may or may not stop.