Adopting kittens without meeting them

lizzieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My foster kitten was sent to a foster-to-adopt home and since then I've been scouring all local rescues for a pair of kittens.

The issue? With Covid, and the fact that my province is entering a 1 month lockdown after Christmas I can't meet any kittens in person. I really really wanted to meet them to make sure they are decently socialized, see their personalities and the right ones for me. All humane societies state I can't meet them until I've been approved, paid and are picking them up. Rescues seem to be the same, sometimes a zoom meeting can occur.

If I want to meet them I have to first foster them and there likely wont be a litter for several months. I think I'd like to risk not meeting them.

What questions would you ask about their behaviour? I just want some normal kittens with normal behaviours!

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I don't think there is a ton of predictive value to interacting with kittens in their current home. It doesn't seem to correlate well with their personalities once they settle in your home, much less their eventual young adult & adult personalities. Kittens just change so darn fast as they grow, and their behavior can be impacted by things like siblings, other pets and other things. I mean, *everyone* goes for the visit if they can, for understandable reasons, but absent some sort of bad situation or illness, you aren't normally going to learn a kitten's true personality. Its sort of like "the interview" in the human hiring process -- its traditional, but absent someone that can't put sentences together or explain gaps in a resume, it doesn't normally tell you what you most need to know (work ethic, skill levels, etc.)

So I'd ask for a video as suggested above and not worry too much about it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm with A ArtNJ on this one. You won't really "know" them until they are at home, and have settled in. A friend recently adopted a "shy, retiring" cat who has, once she knew she was really at home, turned into a total wild child.

However, anything that might turn up, we will be more than happy to help you with after the fact! GET THOSE KITTENS! ENJOY!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lizzieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After many dead ends I found a rescue that has 5 long haired females, calicos and tabbys which are the exact two colours I am looking for! They will be ready for adoption in January. They also have a short haired tabby and a short haired calico that aren't related. Do you think it matters if I took the two unrelated or one unrelated to one long haired? I have a slight preference for short hair but open to long too. I assume she keeps them together but haven't asked. She was going to send me a picture but forgot and I'm waiting until boxing day to follow up with her.

I know you are right, you can't always tell their true personalities but I think of Friday who hated being held/wouldn't be held when I met her and picked her up - that remained for life. When Scarlett was little I would pick her up and put her to my chest and she would settle in and just purr contently. Right to the end I could pick her her and she'd just accept it and purr. Maybe I just need to ask if the kittens like being picked up lol

I did tell her I wanted two that she thought would be more compatible ie not a high energy kitten with a calm one which she said she would think on it.

It's so exciting though!!!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems to be almost a rule -- two kittens placed together will always become friends. Sometimes it could take a week, and there could be some bumps along the way, but the end result is always friendship. So I don't think it matters much if they are biologically related. (That said, the closest I've ever gotten to biologically related kittens was two found on the street together.)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
One of our first pair of kittens many moons ago were unrelated, one was semi-longhair and the other longhair. (I have a fondness for long haired cats.) They got along famously and worked things out since one was more dominant and outgoing while the other was a cuddler and more subdued. Best of luck, please take pics for us and post them in January. :camera:

lizzieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I suppose now that I think of it's none of my cats growing up were related. I'll pick two that are cute and that she thinks will work out or that play together. I will of course update with pictures if I get approved and once they are home!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens are kittens, mostly. You really never know how they'll grow up. But ask for a video of the kittens interacting with each other and the caregiver. Have the human pick each kitten up on video so you can see how they react. Etc. That's honestly almost as good as being there yourself.

No it won't matter if they aren't related if they're being kept together now. They're just as much siblings as if they were blood related. If they're not being kept together now it's not quite as easy but kittens will learn to get along quickly.

lizzieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This particular organization didn't work out - she would organize a phone interview and then not call or respond to messages. I got a litter through the humane society to foster and am keeping this beauty and will get another litter so she can pick out a buddy. (she didn't care for her brothers)
Allegra kitten.jpg