Adopting from Prior Owners

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! Our household is considering adding an additional kitty who needs a home. Unlike our first two cats, who came into our lives through the SPCA, the cat we are currently thinking about would be an adoption directly from her previous owners (an older couple who are moving into a senior's home that doesn't accept pets). I'm making a list of documents we need to get in order to prepare for adopting her (especially given the circumstances of her adoption vs. the SPCA or a rescue org), and I'd love to hear any suggestions for stuff I might have missed.
So far, this is my list:
  • transfer her vet records into our names, get copies of all records
  • transfer her vet records to our vet clinic
  • transfer her licensing information with the city to us
  • get her adoption in writing from her current owners, just in case
Is there any more paperwork-type stuff we need to consider here? What do you wish you'd done when adopting a cat from previous owners?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the cat has a microchip, contact the registration company and get ownership changed in their system. I usually start with the manufacturer to see if they have a registration record and then the common ones around you. Also find out where the microchip was injected at (vet, rescue or animal shelter) and ask that they update their records in case someone traces it by where it was sold to.

Edit: jinx

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bless you and bless them.
Any special foods, treats, water.

Having access to the vet records was helpful to see what Poppy had gone through. I can't think of anything else, except ask them if they'd like to stay in touch, and if it would be easier not to receive photos and updates of the cat. Poppy's first owner said no to pictures initially but as time went on, she and her family now love to receive updates about him 😍

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
It would make the transition easier if you get kitty's familiar litter box, bed, toys, food, etc. rather than getting all new things.

What is the kitty's name? Is she registered with any association (CFA, TICA) either as a purebred or Household Pet? If so, that's one more bit of paperwork you'll need to take care of for change of ownership.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bless you and bless them.
Any special foods, treats, water.

Having access to the vet records was helpful to see what Poppy had gone through. I can't think of anything else, except ask them if they'd like to stay in touch, and if it would be easier not to receive photos and updates of the cat. Poppy's first owner said no to pictures initially but as time went on, she and her family now love to receive updates about him 😍
I’m so glad to hear Poppy’s original family now like to hear updates! I will definitely be offering to stay in touch with this cat’s family of origin too.

It would make the transition easier if you get kitty's familiar litter box, bed, toys, food, etc. rather than getting all new things.

What is the kitty's name? Is she registered with any association (CFA, TICA) either as a purebred or Household Pet? If so, that's one more bit of paperwork you'll need to take care of for change of ownership.
Yes! I will for sure be getting her current belongings and food! I think she’s on a different brand than I’d like right now, but any transition in diet will be done very slowly as I know the poor thing will be under enough stress already!
Her name is Mindy, and she’s seven. While 7 isnt truly old by any stretch, her age is one factor that makes me feel very protective of her because I imagine she would be overlooked by many prospective adopters. It’s actually kind of a funny story - I met Mindy’s current family because I bought their treadmill off of kijiji, and through a series of weird coincidences ended up getting to know them a bit. I felt drawn to Mindy right away, and after her people told me she’d need a new home when they move and I kept ending up having to come back to sort out the treadmill transport, it felt kind of meant to be.
Here is a picture of her!

Attachments

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww it does sound like fate took a hand in this. She's lovely thank you for giving her a new home. :hearthrob: