Adopting/fostering senior cat... advice?

esco98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who is almost 2 and a dog who is 3. They get along great and while me and my boyfriend are both very big animal lovers, we initially decided we probably wouldn’t add another cat in the future as Escanor really loves his one on one time with us and not having to share. Well we’re buying a home in a few months and I was thinking about fostering or adopting a senior cat (10 years or older). The reason why is because In our city we have TONS of kitten fosters, but no one who wants to foster senior cats, and these cats at the shelters often spend their last few years in the shelter. My boyfriend agreed that he wouldn’t mind fostering/adopting a senior cat if that meant they could live out their last few years in a loving home instead of at shelter. We are planning on using a bedroom as an “animal room” that the new cat could use as their own, with a tv and pull out couch so we could spend quality time with them, and if they get along with our cat and dog (the dog is very submissive to cats so we don’t see this being a problem) then they would have free range of the rest of the house. We’re more worried about the cats not getting along more than anything. While we believe this would work good, we wanted some input on any advice or if y’all think this is a bad idea?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the best way to know is to try it and find out. If your resident cat freaks out then maybe not. however, all cats react differently to each other, one cat might be fine and one not. Remember too that all cats usually hiss and growl and get upset at first, this is all communication and not necessarily a bad thing. Read up on introductions until the time comes and know what to look for. Don't stress if it doesn't work out, just don't foster again. I feel like it will though, your cat is young and having a separate room is a great idea.