Adopting first cat and have a moral dilemma

New2cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not sure if this is the right place for this post but it seemed the closest to the topic.

So I was about to adopt my first cat from the local humane society but they have been closed for the last few weeks and I don’t know when they will be open again. So I started to look at other options. I found a cat sanctuary near me that looks incredible. I watched a tour of their facility online and they have large indoor and outdoor areas to roam around in with lots of other cats to socialize with. In my head, if I was a cat I would not want to leave that cat paradise to become a full time indoor cat. Where if I get one from the humane society I feel more like I am “saving” the cat. Am I wrong in thinking this way? Am I missing something here? I know adopting from the sanctuary it will give opportunity for more cats to go there, but I still can’t get it out of my head. That the cat will always want to be back at that “paradise” for cats.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure if this is the right place for this post but it seemed the closest to the topic.

So I was about to adopt my first cat from the local humane society but they have been closed for the last few weeks and I don’t know when they will be open again. So I started to look at other options. I found a cat sanctuary near me that looks incredible. I watched a tour of their facility online and they have large indoor and outdoor areas to roam around in with lots of other cats to socialize with. In my head, if I was a cat I would not want to leave that cat paradise to become a full time indoor cat. Where if I get one from the humane society I feel more like I am “saving” the cat. Am I wrong in thinking this way? Am I missing something here? I know adopting from the sanctuary it will give opportunity for more cats to go there, but I still can’t get it out of my head. That the cat will always want to be back at that “paradise” for cats.
This is a decision that you will have to come to terms with. Do you have a large enough home so that kitty doesn't go stir crazy? I live in a Condo and my boys seem content. They have plenty of room, toys and share a large Cat tree. My cats are strictly indoor. Their too rare to be running about outside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

New2cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is a decision that you will have to come to terms with. Do you have a large enough home so that kitty doesn't go stir crazy? I live in a Condo and my boys seem content. They have plenty of room, toys and share a large Cat tree. My cats are strictly indoor. Their too rare to be running about outside.
I live in a 3 bed 2 bath house. It’s still on the smaller side but there are lots of rooms. The cat would have its own spare bedroom for a base camp. I already have pretty much everything set up. Cat tree near a window that should provide a lot of cat tv. A few scratchers around the house. All thee types of toys. I am also willing to purchase more items based on what I see the Cat seems to like.
It would just break my heart to bring the cat home and he/she just paw at the front door trying to get out. Because that’s what it’s used to.

New2cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you wait and look for the cat that most needs you individually? You may find one at either place that you know, in your heart, truly needs you.
can you expand on this a bit? When you say needs me individually are you talking an emotional connection when I first meet the cat or something else?
It also seems daunting to walk into a sanctuary of what I think is over 100 cats and make an emotional connection with one.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will......many times when you walk into a place like that, the cat will pick YOU. Love does not happen instantaneously, it develops over time. But there can still be that instant connection of two hearts or two personalities. No matter how nice a place is, every cat wants a human to call their own. someone to love and care for them, no matter how small the house or how few the toys. When THE cat looks into your eyes you will know.....
There are many cats that became very special, very loved in my life that started out not wanted at all. They were dumped, or were strays and just showed up. I remember thinking, "Oh no, another mouth to feed, another cat to spay." But over time they wormed their way into my heart. You might ask which little one is the one most needing a home, or ISN"T doing well in the shelter. So I guess what I am trying to say is don't overthink it, just look and let your feelings and heart guide you.

New2cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You will......many times when you walk into a place like that, the cat will pick YOU. Love does not happen instantaneously, it develops over time. But there can still be that instant connection of two hearts or two personalities. No matter how nice a place is, every cat wants a human to call their own. someone to love and care for them, no matter how small the house or how few the toys. When THE cat looks into your eyes you will know.....
There are many cats that became very special, very loved in my life that started out not wanted at all. They were dumped, or were strays and just showed up. I remember thinking, "Oh no, another mouth to feed, another cat to spay." But over time they wormed their way into my heart. You might ask which little one is the one most needing a home, or ISN"T doing well in the shelter. So I guess what I am trying to say is don't overthink it, just look and let your feelings and heart guide you.
Ok that makes sense. Thank you for everyone’s reply’s. I feel more confident now.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great ideas and advice from others! Several years ago, I needed to find homes for three cats and (VERY long story) a sanctuary turned out to be the only option. Like the one you described, it was large and beautiful with outdoor fountains and indoor shelters and volunteers to help feed and take care of the many cats. However, in spite of the positive elements, I learned from one of the volunteers that illnesses can be overlooked with so many to care for, respiratory infections can spread quickly, and some shy cats get bullied or tend to hide.

This is not to say that this sanctuary and many others are not good options with hard working volunteers who do their very best and love the cats. But, I think almost any cat would be happier in his or her own home with lots of attention, vet care when needed, and plenty of love. And it would allow the sanctuary to adopt another cat that has no other place to go.

Good luck with your quest wherever you end up finding your furry buddy! So many cats need loving homes. Thanks for being so thoughtful about adopting one!

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another way to think about this: if you adopt one from the sanctuary -- perhaps one that isn't happy there, as others have suggested -- it will free up a space for them to rescue another cat. (I'm assuming their space and resources aren't unlimited.)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As di and bob di and bob described we often do make a connection to a cat. It just seems to be a match that should happen. Our hearts connect or “the cat chooses you.” You will know. You can always talk to staff members at a shelter and ask if a cat seems to be staying apart from people or other cats. Sometimes that is the cat that is waiting for a special human. It’s almost like the cat knows a perfect match is out there. If you meet a cat that pays particular attention to you when others are playing or doing something else, take time with the kitty. That could be ,” the one.” Trust your heart. Look for the cat that “needs you.” All the kitties need a home and deserve one. I am sure you will be able to make a choice that works for you and the kitty. I just wish that everyone would do what you are doing. You are making an informed and loving decision. :rock:

Oliver2010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Beautifully said. So true.

New2cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just brought my new kitty home!!! His name was Bear at the humane society and I don’t think I will change it because it fits him well.

When I let him out of the carrier in the house I did forget to close the base camp “spare bedroom” door and he ran out. Now hes behind the couch. Should I be trying to get him out and into his base camp or just let him calm down and see what happens from there.

I did end up getting him from the humane society as they were open today.

It was a bit heartbreaking to choose because I had like 3 cats all over me and I wanted to take them all lol. I did feel a good connection with Bear though and felt he was the one.

Thank you for all your help and I’m excited to play and just live with him when he gets his confidence up.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Congratulations on Bear! He is a lucky little boy to have a new home. Since you just posted this, I would give him a little time and observe him. Was he friendly at the humane society? Any background on him? If he seems as if he is hesitant, you can try some food, treats, a toy of some sort to try to entice him out. Please keep us posted and take some pics when you can.

You also might try to just approach him very calmly, soft voice, slow blink or no eye contact and see what he does. He may come to you.

New2cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Congratulations on Bear! He is a lucky little boy to have a new home. Since you just posted this, I would give him a little time and observe him. Was he friendly at the humane society? Any background on him? If he seems as if he is hesitant, you can try some food, treats, a toy of some sort to try to entice him out. Please keep us posted and take some pics when you can.

You also might try to just approach him very calmly, soft voice, slow blink or no eye contact and see what he does. He may come to you.
he was very friendly at the humane society. I tried some treats already and he wasn’t really Interested. He didn’t really move for a feather toy either. He just looked at it. The humane society was extremely busy today because it was the first weekend open for a couple weeks. They had ALOT of cats too. So I didn’t really get to talk with them about him much. They just said he was a snuggle bear most of the time that’s how he got his name. That’s literally all the information I got.

When or if he does come out should I be trying to get him back into that base camp though and close him in it?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Definitely get him back to base camp when you can. He will feel more secure and it will give you time to work with him. The entire house is too daunting for him and you want to avoid him finding a nice hidey hole someplace inaccessible.

If he was friendly, he will be again. This is overwhelming for him even if it is a wonderful thing that happened to him.

New2cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely get him back to base camp when you can. He will feel more secure and it will give you time to work with him. The entire house is too daunting for him and you want to avoid him finding a nice hidey hole someplace inaccessible.

If he was friendly, he will be again. This is overwhelming for him even if it is a wonderful thing that happened to him.
ok, I will do my best to get him back into the room. I saw a video that said 2-5 days to adjust, depending on the cat.

Also food wise. I’ve seen some places say twice a day others say 3 times. How many total ounces of wet food. I bought a bunch of 5.5 ounce cans in a few different flavors. He is about 4 years old. I don’t know his weight. Again the adoption papers have little to no info.

P+P's Meom

What if I don't want to stay calm?
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok, I will do my best to get him back into the room. I saw a video that said 2-5 days to adjust, depending on the cat.

Also food wise. I’ve seen some places say twice a day others say 3 times. How many total ounces of wet food. I bought a bunch of 5.5 ounce cans in a few different flavors. He is about 4 years old. I don’t know his weight. Again the adoption papers have little to no info.
:welcomesign:

Personally, I'd set out frequent, small meals throughout the day - just so he understands that he won't have to be hungry in his new home. Then slowly move meal times further apart as he settles in - so he doesn't get fat. :winkcat:

Also, his appetite will likely increase as he gets more active: exploring and playing!

I love that I'm not the only one who refers to a cat tree in front of a window as "cat tv"!

:lovecat2:

New2cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is out and about now!
197BAC52-F97F-4722-BD57-53BF7951F884.jpeg
Now if I am not in the room he does resort to hiding again, but I think in time he will get more confidence.
I am now having the opposite problem of him attached to my hip but I am working with him that it’s ok to be on a cat bed next to me and not in top of time the entire time. Looks like it’s starting to work too!
CF95836A-25F5-4C3A-A4EC-2726C62EB966.jpeg

I am getting a cat bed with a hood to put there so he feels more secure in it at nighttime as well and doesn’t resort to going behind the couch at night. I just want him to be up of the floor and be the confident cat I know he can be.
Also trying to get him onto the cat tree more so he has other options as well. He plays a little bit here and there with a feather toy and if I use a laser pointer I make sure to give him the flapping fish at the end so he catches something. Also he doesn’t seem interested in things outside yet like he doesn’t look out the window really at all. I even put on some bird and squirrels on my tv to see if his intrest was peaked but it wasn't. Maybe this will come in time.

All in all it only took 5 or 6 days for him to come out of hiding and hang out with me. Treats were the key. A day after I could feed him treats by hand he came right out.
Thank you all for your help and support!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
What a beautiful and very lucky baby to have found such a good home. Believe me, he cannot figure out how he was fortunate enough to have this happen and is already completely bonded to you.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With that much progress in less than a week.... he will probably be ruling your home in another month. Such a handsome boy!