Adopting Feral Kitten - When To Let Out Of Confinement.

luvcats222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I took in a kitten from outdoors (3 months) and it has been in a contained bedroom for a month. It's been dewormed and vaccinated. I can hold her, but she runs from me - although it seems she stays a little longer before she runs. I have three other cats in the house and they engage with her through a screen door. When is a good time to let her out of the room? I want to socialize her first, but feel that if I let her out she will one, get lost in the house more easily; and I will never be able to pick her up again because she will have three floors of rooms to hide. Is it better to just let her go and then hope she will socialize with me on her own?

Thanks in advance.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has she been spayed yet? That should be step one.

Secondly, I would work on getting her socialized a bit more. If you cannot handle her, how will you get her back inside the room. Have you allowed one of the other cats to come inside the room to meet her face to face yet?

I would say it is too soon to allow her free time outside of her room. She could easily get lost and/or hide. If you do allow her time out of the room, you would need to watch her very closely and be sure your other cats are put away.

Here are some tips for socializing
How to Socialize Very Shy or Fearful Cats
Feral Now Living Indoors