Adopting feral cats for mouse control, help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatsRit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with you being uncomfortable with letting him out. Please let us know how this plays out and what develops.
Yes I will. He looks forward to me coming in the morning that I bring his can food, also I clean his litter box, fresh water as well. He actually flipped his bed over, he hissed but trusted me to be running around while I have him looking forward for his food. Such a change in the last two days. I was thinking as someone suggested to start feeding early evening, so he will now when to expect food as if I can get him trained to come back at night. Not sure if this is a good idea. I am still searching for the female cat, setting game cams in all our buildings just to be sure she didn't sneak in. I feel so bad. Here is the picture of Roger I took this morning.

Attachments

CatsRit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I set up a game cam outside and was able to capture my missing cat. You can even see her clipped ear. She is still alive. I can not believe it. Have several recently pictures of her. I just don't understand why she isn't going into the room where her food is anymore? What possible changed her. Possibly my dogs but they are only out during the day. I am so happy thou. My other problem with the other feral cat I have, he will not go out the cat door. Not sure why he can not figure this out. Any advise as I feel so bad for him not leaving this room, even thou it is large area.

Attachments

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is Roger comfortable with you now? I still wouldn't let a young cat outdoors, especially one that seems tamable (a meow is a really good sign!). Cats can be totally fine with single-room enclosures if they have enough enrichment from toys and human/other cat interaction.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have seen ferals especially change their behavior for no good reason.....or for a reason that we do not perceive, not always related to danger. So, yes, it could be that she just does not like the presence of the dogs even if they don't bother her. Or it could be something else. I feed a cat at some apartments nearby twice a day (not going into the story). She is completely safe and even has a bed made by a tenant but for some reason we have a completely different eating arrangement where she wants the food put in another location and won't approach it in the original place. I am completely sure that it has nothing to do with any danger but could be something quirky like a possum found it once and ate some.

If the feral is not leaving a comfortable room by choice, I would not be upset by that. I have rescued ferals, not overly friendly, but who were so happy to have a place that they never left it despite not being confined.

If Roger seems sociable, I would be inclined to see where that goes. As for training him to come at certain times, that is definitely possible with cats and a feeding schedule. The local TNR group uses clickers to signal that food is available.

CatsRit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have seen ferals especially change their behavior for no good reason.....or for a reason that we do not perceive, not always related to danger. So, yes, it could be that she just does not like the presence of the dogs even if they don't bother her. Or it could be something else. I feed a cat at some apartments nearby twice a day (not going into the story). She is completely safe and even has a bed made by a tenant but for some reason we have a completely different eating arrangement where she wants the food put in another location and won't approach it in the original place. I am completely sure that it has nothing to do with any danger but could be something quirky like a possum found it once and ate some.

If the feral is not leaving a comfortable room by choice, I would not be upset by that. I have rescued ferals, not overly friendly, but who were so happy to have a place that they never left it despite not being confined.

If Roger seems sociable, I would be inclined to see where that goes. As for training him to come at certain times, that is definitely possible with cats and a feeding schedule. The local TNR group uses clickers to signal that food is available.
My female cat that I thought was gone, that is no longer coming into the room for food, I was so relieved to see she was still alive was such a relief, and she looks well and not skinny. She if very feral so she must be eating a lot of critters. It just seems strange she completely stopped going into the room to eat. I am thinking maybe the other cat, Roger, is keeping her away. I actually call her Bluey. Roger sleeps during the day and is active at night in the room. I am going to add more kitty toys that I have. Looking at the game cam, he did figure out the kitty door but just stuck his head out and looked briefly and stayed in the room. He only did this once in the last several weeks. I don't know his past, but you maybe right that he feel safe in there. This is all new to me so thank you for your thoughts, I appreciate it.

Last edited:

CatsRit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is Roger comfortable with you now? I still wouldn't let a young cat outdoors, especially one that seems tamable (a meow is a really good sign!). Cats can be totally fine with single-room enclosures if they have enough enrichment from toys and human/other cat interaction.
Roger hides from me still. I know where he is hiding during the day, in a shelf very high, he must be a great jumper. My game cam shows he comes out at night eating using the litter box and running around. He even has jumped up on the window ceil and knocked down stuff. He did also reach up on the door and found the kitty door, which he just peeked his head out looked around and didn't go out. So he has no desire to go outside at this point.

CatsRit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is an update. Roger still hides but if I catch him running to his hiding spot, he does stop and listen to me talk to him. Well, a week ago I had workers in the room, and this must have freaked him out. He stopped eating his food or even coming out of his hiding spot at all. I got a ladder and climbed up so I could see if he was still there. He looked okay and wasn't to freak out at me peaking at him. I left food and water up there on the shelf. He actually came down that night and ate and used the litter box. Well two day later he hasn't come down again. I was going to leave him food and water tonight. I really think there is something wrong with him, not physically but if actually has some type of brain damage. He has been in that room since Aug or Sept. I am now getting concern if I actually have a cat that is not normal. Never dealt with feral cats before taking on a couple for mice control. I don't mind him living in the room but not exactly wanting him to live his life in there alone. The female cat I adopted is still a live and running the property. So glad she has made it thru the winter as we do have a lot of owls around. I just think there is something wrong with Roger, as he has no desire to leave the area as well now wont even come down from his hiding place. Very Concern, any advice? I just climbed up the ladder to see if he is still alive up there and left food and water. I found him and reached to see if I could touch him, and he bit me pretty good on the pinky and hissed at me. This kitty is just a very miserable cat. Gosh just don't know what to do. I have done all the talking to him every day and just don't understand why he hasn't improved, so that brings me back if he just too far damaged in the head. I keep editing just trying to work out what is wrong with Roger. After watching the female feral cat she did have confidence, even thou she is feral, but had the skills. This cat, Roger has no confidence or desire to change. Just at a loss at this point. Not sure if I should call the people who I adopted from to voice my concern. But if he can't make it here just don't know what other options.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If Roger is very feral, something like workers in his room would be enough for him to throw up all the guards. True ferals, not the semi ferals or the street cats who could be friends with people, want to be completely invisible and silent. That is their survival strategy. I think that he may come down from his hiding place once he figures out that the workers will never return, but he also may have decided that this room is his territory. I don't think that he has any psychological disorders, as true ferals are entirely different from other cats, even simply unfriendly cats. When you started this thread, I think that we were all assuming that Roger might transition into a more workable cat. To me, he sounds like a cat who has found his place and is possibly happy to be there....which is not helping you much.

I have a cat who sounds like Roger in my house....for the last 17 years. Flies under the radar, moves from place to place where she feels safe, does not want to be touched at all, and is easily thrown off by anything that happens in her environment. I don't know if the people you got him from can help, but no harm in asking. I agree that his options seem limited.