Adopting a Second Cat Post FIP

absinthe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My wife and I adopted a 6 month DSH kitten who, unknown to us, had FIP (dry).  A couple weeks later we adopted him a playmate, a 7 month DSH.  A couple weeks after his FIP progressed considerably and we put him to rest because he was losing the ability to even look after himself while home alone.

At first we were distraught and heartbroken, still are actually, but whereas we once thought "never again" we now are considering adopting a playmate for our remaining kitten, Trivia.

Trivia is a female (spayed) DSH.  She is very healthy appearing (though she is still on her medication for a case of Chlamydia but shows no symptoms currently), eats like a horse, is very playful and energetic.  We have removed all of our first cat's items and cleaned the house top to bottom.

We have read SOOOOO MANY CONFLICTING articles on the internet about the corona virus and FIP, and talked to our vet, and we cannot decide if it'd be the right move.  How long should we wait?  Should we not adopt a new kitten?  If so, do we go back to the same shelter where we adopted Absinthe (who had FIP) and Trivia (who had Chlamydia) or look elsewhere?

tali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd look elsewhere. Check local papers: I see ads for free kittens all the time. You're saving kittens either way, but at least you don't risk another afflicted kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

absinthe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think what is really hard is now we're so neurotic and protective of our remaining kitten.  Today after breakfast I picked her up and she farted, so then my wife and I spent 30 minutes researching feline flatulence to find out what it means.  During this time the cat deficated in her litter box, but we've become such helicopter parents.  We are just feeling so much anxiety about everything that happened, and we kind of don't want to go through it again and just keep Trivia as our sole feline.  But then we see how energetic she is and worry she may want a buddy.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Today after breakfast I picked her up and she farted, so then my wife and I spent 30 minutes researching feline flatulence to find out what it means.
Awww.  I understand that.  I research every little thing to death too.  I think cats having buddies is awesome.  It is good for them and gives us so much joy and amusement to see their interactions.  But, you've been through so much lately.  It doesn't hurt to wait a little while and take some time to make the decision.  Sure, the younger they are the quicker they accept a new friend.  But I've read of plenty of young adult cats accepting friends after being an only cat.  Our Emily was 7 months old when we added our second cat.  She accepted the idea quickly after a few obligatory hisses. 

Are you thinking kitten if you add another?  There are plenty of last spring and summers kittens still needing homes, I bet.  But young adult cats and even older adults could be a nice fit too, if they are energetic enough to keep up with Trivia.  We adopted a 6 yr old (estimated age) recently and you would swear she was a kitten (she is very petite and extremely playful.)  I'll admit, it feels mighty nice to give a home to a slightly older cat who might be overlooked for the more popular kittens.  (In fact the one we adopted spent two years at a no-kill shelter awaiting adoption after her kittens were adopted.)  Just something to consider.  But do take your time until it feels right.  Good luck with the decision. 

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd look elsewhere. Check local papers: I see ads for free kittens all the time. You're saving kittens either way, but at least you don't risk another afflicted kitten.
There is no such thing as a "free" kitten if you are a responsible pet owner. When it comes to spay/neuter, vaccines, etc. many shelters/rescue groups have all of this included in the adoption fee.

I would do lots of research on the organizations you are adopting from, but keep in mind, no matter WHERE you get a kitty, most of the time shelters & rescue organizations have no idea what the backgrounds of the kitties are, they're just trying to rescue. Some organizations, like the one I foster for, will cover and provide ALL medical treatment for 3 weeks after the date of adoption to ensure health. Also, with foster care, foster parents get really attached to the cats/kittens and can give you a lot more information on their health/temperament than most shelters can. (Not all though.) People come to my home all the time and get to meet and really interact with the kitty they are interested in. Most times this ensures a good match. Of course there are always health problems that pop u, so I completely understand  your concerns. My suggestion is to adopt again. There are so many babies out there needing great forever homes.

absinthe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is no such thing as a "free" kitten if you are a responsible pet owner. When it comes to spay/neuter, vaccines, etc. many shelters/rescue groups have all of this included in the adoption fee.

I would do lots of research on the organizations you are adopting from, but keep in mind, no matter WHERE you get a kitty, most of the time shelters & rescue organizations have no idea what the backgrounds of the kitties are, they're just trying to rescue. Some organizations, like the one I foster for, will cover and provide ALL medical treatment for 3 weeks after the date of adoption to ensure health. Also, with foster care, foster parents get really attached to the cats/kittens and can give you a lot more information on their health/temperament than most shelters can. (Not all though.) People come to my home all the time and get to meet and really interact with the kitty they are interested in. Most times this ensures a good match. Of course there are always health problems that pop u, so I completely understand  your concerns. My suggestion is to adopt again. There are so many babies out there needing great forever homes.
Absinthe cost $65 to pick up at the shelter (got a tax receipt), plus $120.00 for a health check and boosters, about $200.00 for cat stuff (toys, beds, posts, etc...), and about $200 to "treat" his FIP.  I would have paid several times that if I could have saved his life.  I don't care about the money.  I care about providing the best life possible for Trivia, our current kitten.
Are you thinking kitten if you add another?  There are plenty of last spring and summers kittens still needing homes, I bet.  But young adult cats and even older adults could be a nice fit too, if they are energetic enough to keep up with Trivia.  We adopted a 6 yr old (estimated age) recently and you would swear she was a kitten (she is very petite and extremely playful.)  I'll admit, it feels mighty nice to give a home to a slightly older cat who might be overlooked for the more popular kittens.  (In fact the one we adopted spent two years at a no-kill shelter awaiting adoption after her kittens were adopted.)  Just something to consider.  But do take your time until it feels right.  Good luck with the decision. 
We'd like to adopt a cat that is similar in age to Trivia, not too young, but not so old that he/she would be too set in his/her ways.  I am thinking six to 12 months old, maybe?  During the last week she has taken over the house, and I worry she might feel put out by a new comer.  I also see how playful she is and she might have a lot of fun playing with a fellow cat.  :/  Such a hard decision!

Last edited:

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I think the point was you don't need to go and purchase a cat from a breeder or something to acquire one.  If they decide that they don't want to go to the shelter that they acquired two ill kittens from then there are other options besides buying one. 

absinthe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Below is a picture of our new kitty, who we've named Sterling.  He is of unknown age.  He has all his adult teeth, but is kind of small.  The vet is unsure if he'll get much bigger. 

He was found at a barbeque in December.  He showed up looking to get some handouts, which is why the shelter took to calling him "Steak."  He was skittish at first, so the people setup a bed and food and eventually won his trust enough to scoop him up and take him to the shelter.  He had bad diarrhea and remained at the local vets' office over the Christmas holidays to be treated.  His diarrhea is all cleared up and he's pooping normally.  He's on a prescription kitten dried food and the shelter was also giving him some Frisky's pate (wet).  This weekend we're going to maintain the prescription food but transition him over to Merrick's for the wet.  He is also a bit sneezy, but he received a round of antibiotics when he was with the vet and has been progressing well.  He has another vet appointment Monday morning to get his boosters, a re-check for his sneezing, and to book an appointment to get neutered.

In the mean time, he's spending the weekend with us, isolated in one of our bathrooms.  He's got his own everything in there with him.  He really enjoys playing!  I have yet to see him jump, and considering my experience with my first kitten and dry FIP, I am worried but I also understand he is stressed and the bathroom has tile floors.  He does have good strength in his legs, as he is a fan of luring you in with the promise of rubbing his belly but then attacking your hand once you reach in.  His hind legs pack a wallop!  Tonight I am going to work on his coat and comb it all out nicely.  I also hope the increase in Omega-3s from the Merrick's will make him more "plushy" feeling, just like our other cat Trivia.

Last edited:

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lovely cat...I love the name.  Mystery age...now I'm curious...LOL.  Maybe the vet would take a guess based on the teeth?  Doesn't matter I guess....I'll always be curious about our Lucy's exact age and what her life was like before she was dumped with her kittens at the no-kill shelter.

I know you like to research things on the internet so the sneeziness made me think you might want to consider l-lysine.  Most kitty colds are caused by either the feline herpes virus or the calici virus.  L-lysine specifically fights the feline herpes virus.  Two vets I've had don't really recommend doing the official test for feline herpes, but just suggest trying the lysine for cats given to kitty colds.  Anyways it may be too soon to tell whether he needs it, but I'd give it to any sneezy cat I adopted.  Here's the one we buy....

absinthe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's had a round of Noroclav and a shot of Convenia.  When I see the vet on Monday I'll ask about L-lysine and the possibility of herpes.

Yes, the age is a real mystery.  Everyone is sure that he is quite young, but where he is between kitten and adult cat is a bit unclear.  He seems quite kitten-like, and since we brought him home he is far less skittish.  At the shelter he always shied away from one's touch at first, never sure if he is about to be petted or backhanded.  He seems more trusting now that we have him back home.

Our resident cat sat at the bathroom door for awhile, no hissing, just curious.  We might let them have a very controlled face-to-face on Monday once we get the OK from the vet.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He seems quite kitten-like
This is what makes us scratch our heads about our Lucy (whose estimated age has been settled on as 6 yrs.)  We know she was a mama cat then spent two years awaiting adoption...so she has to be at least 2 1/2 or 3.  The first vet who saw her guessed 4 yrs and the shelter had her at 6 or 8.  But the funny thing is that she is very petite and plays like a kitten. She does things like bunny kick toys and play with your shoestrings anytime you put shoes on.  This morning as I was grabbing socks out of the laundry basket to fold she batted at them through the holes.  She is definitely the most kitten like of our cat family (and the others are all 2 years old.)   I think all our two year old cats probably think she's a kitten.  When she takes over their playtime I can see them thinking in their heads, "Well, she is just a kitten after all." 
Our resident cat sat at the bathroom door for awhile, no hissing, just curious. 
Sounds good....curiosity is a great thing in the introduction process. 

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the point was you don't need to go and purchase a cat from a breeder or something to acquire one.  If they decide that they don't want to go to the shelter that they acquired two ill kittens from then there are other options besides buying one. 
I understand that, I was actually responding to the "free kitten ads" comment that I quoted in my response.

Anyway your new baby is absolutely PRECIOUS. Congrats!

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand that, I was actually responding to the "free kitten ads" comment that I quoted in my response.

Anyway your new baby is absolutely PRECIOUS. Congrats!
I figured that, but just because someone's going with a "free kitten" doesn't mean that they won't anticipate any future vet charges. 

I guess I'm still a bit bitter about the fact that I had almost no one show any interest in the perfectly healthy kitten that I was trying to give away.  Everyone seemed to be getting their kittens from elsewhere, no rescues were willing to help us, and I didn't get any phone calls from any of my posted ads.  Oh well- it's off topic to begin with, and since that kitten stayed here and a new kitten has been acquired, the point is no longer relevant

Congrats on the new baby!  His hair and markings remind me of a couple of barn cats at a stable I used to board at- they were/are the coolest cats.  Good luck with the introductions!