Adopting a second cat for our first

BeccaT

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Firstly I hope this is the right section, I apologise if not! But it is mostly regarding how our cat would behave if we adopted another.

Hi! So about 1 month after adopting our kitten, I went through kind of an internal crisis and was really worried about adopting only one kitten as I read in a lot of places that kittens do best in pairs. After asking around and several experienced cat owners reassuring me that our kitten is likely completely fine alone as she gets a lot of attention from us and we're always home, I kind of got out of the idea as it wasn't financially doable for us at the time. Sadly it still isn't, but there's a chance that around April next year, our financial situation may improve and me and my husband have discussed potentially adopting another cat for our Annie. The problem is by that point, she'll be about 8 months old and I'm wondering if that's too late? Although I did read cats over a year old are less likely to take well to a new cat, she'll be under a year still but getting closer to it. I also wanted to ask if the gender of the new cat matters at all in comparison with our current cat? i.e is it better to get the same or opposite gender.

I've always loved the idea of owning several cats, but I think my husband has a limit of 2. Despite my desire to have multiple cats, the consideration of adopting a second is primarily for the benefit of our current cat as she always has so much energy and I get incredibly guilty whenever I see people's multiple cats online and they seem so happy to have a friend. That being said, I wouldn't want to adopt another if by 8 months old she'd be hesitant to get to know another cat and allow them into her claimed space, as I know cats are very territorial. I also wouldn't want her to get jealous, but I'm not sure if that's common with cats. These are just some of the concerns I can think of right now, but any other advice before we take the plunge is appreciated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeccaT

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
An 8 month old will get along with a kitten just fine!
Thank you! This is good to know. Is it true that it'll be harder to get her to accept a new cat after she's a year old? Or is it entirely situational? I'm still learning these things about cats as I go.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! This is good to know. Is it true that it'll be harder to get her to accept a new cat after she's a year old? Or is it entirely situational? I'm still learning these things about cats as I go.
As cats age, they get less adaptible and less accepting of a new cat. In general, as a matter of odds, with individual cats you never know. While a cat of less than a year is almost guarrantied to befriend a kitten, a cat under two still has very good odds of doing so. There is no hard and fast cut-off, but yes, if you are going to add a new kitten sooner is better, and under two is best if you want a very high chance they will be friends.

Last edited:

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
BeccaT BeccaT
I would also add, to keep things harmonious, make sure they have plenty of ' resources': litter boxes, cozy sleeping spots, scratching posts etc. This will likely keep things harmonious as they age, as they will feel there is enough for everybody.