adopting a playmate for shy kitten?

feralSuki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can’t wait to hear how it goes!
I've been feeding them on either side of the door for a couple days now. I moved the new kitten (Pabu) into Suki's room in a pin to eat yesterday and she went right up to the sides and was sniffing all around while he ate. He barely noticed she was there! When he was done he walked right up the side of the pin where she was investigating, and thats when she started hissing. She started growling quietly as well, so we took him out of the room. He only showed curiosity. I've never introduced kittens before so I'm not sure how to gauge how it went. I have been scent swapping for about a week as well, laying treats on his blankets. This may just be a long process for Suki, she is very shy. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions that would be awesome

feralSuki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old are your 2 kittens, F feralSuki ? Generally kittens become friends quickly.
Suki is 13 weeks, Pabu is 8 weeks. Last night I had his pin in the room to feed them together and she came out to smell his pin, then ran to her bed and just stayed there and watched him. I guess I know kitten introductions are usually pretty easy but I feel like Suki is pretty fearful, it may just take more time. I'm not sure what else to do differently. Wish me luck!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... they're both just babies. They should become best buds quickly, I'd think. I see you have your own thread - A friend for my shy feral kitten? - so maybe to keep your situation separate, you should update that one with the current status, and then all replies will be pertaining to Suki and Pabu.

feralSuki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww... they're both just babies. They should become best buds quickly, I'd think. I see you have your own thread - A friend for my shy feral kitten? - so maybe to keep your situation separate, you should update that one with the current status, and then all replies will be pertaining to Suki and Pabu.
oh yes apologies for that, I was trying to keep those who asked updated! I will return to my thread oops, sorry everyone!

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
my partner and i recently adopted a very shy now 10 week-old kitten who has come out of her shell with us and loves to play but is still very afraid of the world! we have had her for three weeks and have been slowly getting her to trust us, but she shows no interest in exploring further than the bedroom she knows. our goal was to introduce her to playful older cats at my parents and then when my partner and i eventually move out we’ll take the kitten and one of the older cats, but meeting older cats seems like it will just overwhelm the kitten.

we have started to consider adopting another kitten who is more outgoing so she can have a less intimidating playmate to help her be curious. is adopting a rambunctious and confident kitten a good idea or would it cause our current kitten more anxiety?

we are in a place where we can support 2 kittens and would love both of them endlessly, but we want to make sure it is a positive decision for our current kitten!
I have one for adoption.